DIY guide: making your own custom IEM sleeves/tips (56k, get outta here!)
Jan 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 78
Checked on the molds this morning... I think the impressions will be difficult to get out... yikes.

We'll see what happens tomorrow!

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think it would have been a good idea to put some sort of lube on the impressions before putting them in the silicon (e.g., mineral oil)?

This was the idea behind using the cooking spray. I think it will be okay, in the end; it will just require some gentle prying... hopefully without ruining the impressions and/or the mold in the process.

Thanks for the idea of mineral oil, too (I forgot I had some that I had purchased for oiling my DE razor). Provided I can actually get the impressions out of the mold successfully tomorrow, I think I will use mineral oil instead of cooking spray inside the mold when I put in silicone to make the sleeves themselves.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #20 of 78
ah, I must have read over the step about the cooking spray (or just forgot)!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 78
I hit a little bump in the road... update on first page...

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 78
this is really interesting, sounds like a fun DYI project.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 78
Jan 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #27 of 78
Another update on the front page... things are looking up!
wink_face.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewis82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a page on "Using silicone caulk as a mold" and I thought it might interest you...

Using Silicone Caulk as a Mold Material - Hypertufa Forum - GardenWeb

I read a similar page, which is where I got the idea for adding a few drops of acrylic paint to make some colored sleeves! I think I'm gonna go with red.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back