DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 23, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #9,151 of 10,535
I'll be doing my cable/mmcx repair in the next few weeks. I have a mulitmeter but no idea what i need to do with it. How do i confirm which is the signal (mine are the same colour) wire etc and what should i check after soldering?
What you want to do is "check for continuity." That means checking that each connection at one end of the cable matches up with the connection at the other end of the cable. The way you do this is by checking the resistance between the two ends. If you've mixed up the connections from one end to the other, the resistance will show as very large, maybe in the Mega-Ohm range. If your wiring and soldering made the right connections at both ends, then the resistance will show up as almost zero, or something less than 5 ohms or thereabouts, depending on the wire size and the length of the cable. Bottom line, the difference between connections on the same wire will be in single digit ohms. The resistance difference between connections NOT on the same wire will be in the thousands or millions of ohms.

Aug 24, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #9,153 of 10,535
the silver wires on the outside are the shield. one of the wires is your signal, that one goes to the center pin, the other is ground, outside pin/shell

Quoting you again. It seems that my cable has 2 cores (picture on the left), based on a reference pic I found (on the right). In this case, is your opinion still the same that I have to solder 1 to an outer pin and 1 to the middle pin of the MMCX connector, as well as remove the shielding wires?

YmvXI_wd.jpegcores.JPGmmcx.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #9,154 of 10,535
Quoting you again. It seems that my cable has 2 cores (picture on the left), based on a reference pic I found (on the right). In this case, is your opinion still the same that I have to solder 1 to an outer pin and 1 to the middle pin of the MMCX connector, as well as remove the shielding wires?

Yep, you only need 2 wires per side L+R.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #9,155 of 10,535
Received my note 10+ it included a crappy akg earbuds which sound like crap, so I decided to chop it off and installed a female 4.4mm because all my cable has been reterminated to 4.4mm, it end up very good, sound fantastic
20190827_134829.jpg

Here are the wiring if anyone interest in doing it yourself

20190827_130947.jpg

There are 2 extra wires yellow and black which is not use, you can cut those off

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #9,156 of 10,535
How to create this shring on the black connector?
Received my note 10+ it included a crappy akg earbuds which sound like crap, so I decided to chop it off and installed a female 4.4mm because all my cable has been reterminated to 4.4mm, it end up very good, sound fantastic
Here are the wiring if anyone interest in doing it yourself

There are 2 extra wires yellow and black which is not use, you can cut those off
n25vcHt.jpg

I searching for some soft shrink for the area that connected directly to the headphones, I need it elastically as possible

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #9,159 of 10,535
I looked through the wire supply links in the original post, and it's almost all microphone cable, guitar cable, some hookup wire, etc.—nothing that really resembles the stuff that's in the name-brand cables. Is the only way to get OCC and/or litz wire like the pros to have it custom-made by the factory? I've seen some AliExpress entries that say that's what they're selling, but it's weirdly expensive even by the vaunted standards of audio wire, and I'm loath to purchase from people who don't know how to spell 'litz.'
You can always sleeve Litz-wire with PVC/PO/PU/PE etc. sleeving yourself... but know it`s hard & "painful" work and needs patience & skill.
Here is my CC1HP DIY cable from Litz-wire with PO sleeving:
9940497_l.jpg

9940521_l.jpg

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #9,160 of 10,535
Sorry posted this in the gallery by mistake but has anyone had any experience with buying parts etc from cosmic-cables.co.uk, I need some wire
and the selection of wire and parts is good but not sure if the service is good, please let me know.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #9,161 of 10,535
I’ve not heard of them before, but always keen to find new sources of diy stuff as I’m pretty much reliant on hifi collective for wire and oidio sound for connectors. But their website is slightly strange, everything seems to cost £10 and if you click on wire there’s no details just a price £4, £4 for what, they’re not letting on. It might just be a rubbish site, but looks a bit suss, has someone recommended them to you. Have you tried http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home, otherwise oidio do sell
wire as well as connectors and they really top chaps. Other than that hifi collective or https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ but im
Guessing you’ve seen these. I’d be interested to hear more on cosmic though if they’re genuine as it would be great to have a UK source for eidolic plugs

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #9,162 of 10,535
Thanks, I've looked at the other sites but they don't offer the type of wire that I'm after or the connectors, I know what you mean about the cosmic website it is weird
but I think it's only for the mobile site, seems unfinished but when I visited on my laptop everything was fine. Perhaps I'll buy a connector to test the water.

Sep 1, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #9,163 of 10,535
Thanks, I've looked at the other sites but they don't offer the type of wire that I'm after or the connectors, I know what you mean about the cosmic website it is weird
but I think it's only for the mobile site, seems unfinished but when I visited on my laptop everything was fine. Perhaps I'll buy a connector to test the water.
arrh yes sorry you're right the main site is all good. Their pricing is pretty consistent with everyone elses so i cant see any reason to think they wont be fine. I'll definitely be buying a rhodium eidolic jack for my next HP cable. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the furutech which is double the price. Out of interest which wire are you trying to find?

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #9,165 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back