DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 26, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #6,601 of 10,535
If I understand you correctly, you are referring to section of cable between the Y and the connectors. It depends on how flexible you want that part to be. I have one cable where the builder (not me) used heat shrink. It's quite stiff, but totally usable. (Yea, yea, that's what she said :). I prefer that part of cable more flexible, so I use multifiliment techflex or paracord. I know 95 lb paracord is too thin, and I just cannot recall which size is best. I think 1/4" techflex is what I used. I also experimented with latex tubing in order to reduce cable noise. It works, but the latex fades, so cosmetics becomes a minor issue.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this is what I was referring to.  Have you had any issues with microphonics with the techflex?

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #6,602 of 10,535
  I finished all I can do for the weekend but I got a few photos as I worked. 

I was working on right angle ts quarter inch connectors here, (Neutrik)

Thanks!  That's really helpful.  Do you have a recommendation for cable for some RCA connectors?  I'm trying to make some 10-15 foot ones, because all the commercial ones are mad expensive.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #6,603 of 10,535

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to section of cable between the Y and the connectors. It depends on how flexible you want that part to be. I have one cable where the builder (not me) used heat shrink. It's quite stiff, but totally usable. (Yea, yea, that's what she said :). I prefer that part of cable more flexible, so I use multifiliment techflex or paracord. I know 95 lb paracord is too thin, and I just cannot recall which size is best. I think 1/4" techflex is what I used. I also experimented with latex tubing in order to reduce cable noise. It works, but the latex fades, so cosmetics becomes a minor issue.

Hope this helps.

Darn the word "vocable" was removed quickly lol. nevermind

I need to proofread BEFORE I hit the submit button, not after :)

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #6,604 of 10,535
  Thanks!  That's really helpful.  Do you have a recommendation for cable for some RCA connectors?  I'm trying to make some 10-15 foot ones, because all the commercial ones are mad expensive.

If you are wanting to use coax, Belden 1505A or 1505F is quite good. I also use some belden 1800f, high flex microphone cable just for the flexibility. PM me your address and I will see if I can send you a few samples to check out. The cable in the photos are Belden 1855A, a miniature version of the 1505A, the drawings I was working off of called for coaxial cable and it  had to work with small 3.5 mm connectors, this is part of a 1200 cable build for a large company and we are using 4 pin mini xlr's as well so the wire had to fit those too. Try buying 600 of those quickly sometime lol.

I have an abundance of Belden 1694A in lengths under 25 feet that would work well, it is an RG 6. I could discuss that with you privately, normally I would pay shipping but this is a little different situation. We generally use it for longer runs so we end up with some odd short lengths we seldom use. It runs about 46 cents a foot on Markertek.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #6,605 of 10,535

I need to proofread BEFORE I hit the submit button, not after :)

I was just curious if you were hearing voices other than the ones in the music. 
dt880smile.png

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #6,607 of 10,535
  have any of you noticed a difference in flexibility between similar canare and mogami star quad cables?

They are pretty close but I would give Mogami a slight edge judging by what I have here at home but I think the sample I grabbed used 26 gauge wire and the Canare has 24 so I was not exactly comparing apples to apples. Both are very good cable, and Belden makes one I use a lot of as well. I like using USA made product when I can and some customers request it.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #6,608 of 10,535
  They are pretty close but I would give Mogami a slight edge judging by what I have here at home but I think the sample I grabbed used 26 gauge wire and the Canare has 24 so I was not exactly comparing apples to apples. Both are very good cable, and Belden makes one I use a lot of as well. I like using USA made product when I can and some customers request it.

Cool, I think I'll grab one of each and see what I like.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #6,609 of 10,535
Both are good products and I like keeping the shielding in place on such cable, it makes for a fairly easy build you can count on. As I have explained before, I take it down to a mini 4 pin xlr and then change pigtails when I want 3.5 mm, 1/4 inch or balanced cable but that is not for everyone. Some people use adapters and such. I run a Pono player in balanced mode as my portable player so I need a pigtail properly wired for it.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #6,610 of 10,535
have any of you noticed a difference in flexibility between similar canare and mogami star quad cables?

Funny you should mention that. I just got a few feet of various quad cables to test just that. The most flexible is Gotham GHC-4/1, which is designed for headphones, but isn't shielded. Makes stripping it easy. The next was the Gotham GAC-4/1. Very nice cable. Each conductor is 24AWG, 96 strand. It's a little thick, but very nice. On sale if you buy 25 m for 61 cents a foot.

Between the mogami and the canare, I prefer the mogami. The canare uses a braided shield and the mogami doesn't, so it's easier to strip. I also think the mogami is a tad more flexible.

Order 1 or 2 feet of each from markertek and check them out yourself.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #6,611 of 10,535
Funny you should mention that. I just got a few feet of various quad cables to test just that. The most flexible is Gotham GHC-4/1, which is designed for headphones, but isn't shielded. Makes stripping it easy. The next was the Gotham GAC-4/1. Very nice cable. Each conductor is 24AWG, 96 strand. It's a little thick, but very nice. On sale if you buy 25 m for 61 cents a foot.

Between the mogami and the canare, I prefer the mogami. The canare uses a braided shield and the mogami doesn't, so it's easier to strip. I also think the mogami is a tad more flexible.

Was the dedicated headphone cable also 24 AWG?  I couldn't find any gauge info on their site for that cable.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #6,612 of 10,535

Was the dedicated headphone cable also 24 AWG?  I couldn't find any gauge info on their site for that cable.

It's 19 strand .1mm, so 25.363 AWG

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #6,613 of 10,535

It's been a lot of years since I have seen Gotham cable around, they used to sell under the brand Deltron as I recall. It is nice to see they are still in business.

In the next few days I hope to convert some 32 ohm headphones into 250 ohm for use with a Bottlehead Crack. If this works well I plan to convert another low impedance set into 600 ohm headphones. Luckily the original set will have a nice flat surface to drill into so that I can make them open or semi open. I will then construct a cable using modern cable and connectors to give said headphones the look I seek. It will probably involve removing the plating on some connectors to get down to the brass metal underneath.  It should be a great learning experience as well as a DIY project.

Tom

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #6,614 of 10,535

It's been a lot of years since I have seen Gotham cable around, they used to sell under the brand Deltron as I recall. It is nice to see they are still in business.

In the next few days I hope to convert some 32 ohm headphones into 250 ohm for use with a Bottlehead Crack. If this works well I plan to convert another low impedance set into 600 ohm headphones. Luckily the original set will have a nice flat surface to drill into so that I can make them open or semi open. I will then construct a cable using modern cable and connectors to give said headphones the look I seek. It will probably involve removing the plating on some connectors to get down to the brass metal underneath.  It should be a great learning experience as well as a DIY project.

Tom

And I'll be following that along, should you post details :wink:

Still haven't had time to toy around with the RCA job, and won't have time for another few weeks.  Time, you fickle woman you.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #6,615 of 10,535

And I'll be following that along, should you post details :wink:

Still haven't had time to toy around with the RCA job, and won't have time for another few weeks.  Time, you fickle woman you.

I will post details if it works out, the cable part is not too bad provided I find paracord whose pattern makes it look like it was made in the 20's.

I told a salesperson what I was going to do with only the drivers for a specific brand of headphones and he told me I would be voiding the warranty. I kind of knew that lol. Once they are done I will try to get one or two local guys who are on this site to give you their opinion too. It is hard to stay objective when you do something yourself and you are hoping for good results.

And tempus certainly does fugit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back