DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 19, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #3,061 of 16,307
second and third builds. 22gauge silver mini to rca. and OFC mini-mini
silverrcalf8.jpg

cpprminidv8.jpg

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #3,063 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLock3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man. And to think I'm just using a point and shoot digital camera. It's my trusty 7.1mp Canon PowerShot SD750 I got a couple years ago. I love the thing. One of the best purchases I've made, haha. You can get some really good shots with it when using the manual mode and setting it up right.

That is a great camera I shoot with a Canon Rebel Xti, but the SD750 is an amazing camera for it's size it would be my next choice in consumer cameras. My dad has an SD750.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #3,065 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take that, pretty cables!Scraped-off stock earbud connectors, ~1cm Cordial Quad cable, WBT silver solder, heatshrink.
biggrin.gif

P7190219-800.jpg

As the snow flies...
On a cold and gray vienna mornin
A poor little diy is born
In the ghetto...

--With apologies to Elvis
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3,069 of 16,307
that's correct. they are from homegrown audio. but i wouldn't mind seeing where other people get their parts. i'm having trouble finding other connectors of a similar price range. all i seem to be able to find on the net are cheap RCAs and expensive ones like eichmanns and wbts

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #3,072 of 16,307
well, i can't give a lot of comparison since i've only built 4 cables in my entire life, but they were a bit more difficult to work with than the minis that have the regular looking connection points inside. the LOK RCAs look just like all of the pricey RCAs on the inside as far as design goes. mine are the silver performance series (the $9 ones). and i found that you definitely need to solder the ground first because it is difficult to get to if the signal wire is in the way. out of the two cables that i made with them, a total of six RCA connectors, i had trouble getting two of them to stick. I THINK i finally figured out what my problem was...i was heating the wire and then applying solder and just couldn't get it to stick well to the silver plating. I THINK that once i made a point to heat the wire AND the plug surface i got it to stick just fine and haven't had any problems with them coming loose at all. i will add that the silver ones look great in person. the black ones look great everywhere but i didn't expect to like the look of the silver ones the way i do.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #3,073 of 16,307
Thanks. That was very helpful. As far as soldering the ground wire to a heavy connector, I find it helpful to tin the wire first, then tin the connector with a good bit of solder and make sure that it flows well. That way, I know that the connector is heated enough. Then I solder the ground wire to it right away while it's still warm.

BTW, your cables look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back