DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 25, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #3,032 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the ebay store where you got it, or was it a one time thing?

Yeah, got it from the seller navship from ebay.
Look like that he's on his business until July 1.

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #3,033 of 16,312
Lil' Knight...

Yo, nice job. Just like I mentioned on the PM, you're doing a great job. I've only seen you get better from your can recable and these LODs and minis. I've noticed these things from you, Punisher and others. I really enjoy it and it just makes me feel that I can also do this and enjoy it.

I'm really learning a lot from the site but also from you guys that just make great threads and try to teach while learning. I'm grateful.

I will start off with those Minis to get my feet wet but will do an LOD soon. I've been reading Punishers post on the DIY LOD and I keep replaying it in my head over and over. So it's starting to sink.

Question....

I'm going to pull the trigger on Canare but there are 2 wires I'm eyeing. Star Quad but then they have the one with just a blue and white cable with the outer thingy. The 2 conductor L2t2s. Would that be enough to start off with as far as making simple LODs, Minis and such?

If I'm right, and I hope you guys correct me... Blue and White would be signal then the outer braid would be ground. That would be stereo?

Anywho, just to stay on topic...Good job Knight. inspiration.

wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #3,034 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lil' Knight...

Yo, nice job. Just like I mentioned on the PM, you're doing a great job. I've only seen you get better from your can recable and these LODs and minis. I've noticed these things from you, Punisher and others. I really enjoy it and it just makes me feel that I can also do this and enjoy it.

I'm really learning a lot from the site but also from you guys that just make great threads and try to teach while learning. I'm grateful.

I will start off with those Minis to get my feet wet but will do an LOD soon. I've been reading Punishers post on the DIY LOD and I keep replaying it in my head over and over. So it's starting to sink.

Thanks for that
smily_headphones1.gif

Making cables is a real fun (although I can't use all the stuffs I made LOL),especially when your first cable sounds nice, fantastic feeling
biggrin.gif

Practice makes perfect. I've gained many experiences here from fellow Head-fiers, especially Steve, who gave me vast advice and help about making ICs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm right, and I hope you guys correct me... Blue and White would be signal then the outer braid would be ground. That would be stereo?

Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

And good luck on your first cables, let us know how beautiful your cables are
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #3,035 of 16,312
Just finished assembling two Homegrown Audio (HGA) RCA 1.0m interconnect kits. The braided wires are 22 AWG; pure silver (clear coated) for signal and two copper (red and blue) as ground returns.

Total assembly time between 1-2 hours. Everything was included in the kits including silver solder. I found that silver solder flows best at a higher soldering iron temperatures than regular lead-based solder.

HGAWholeCable.jpg

HGACableEnds.jpg

HGAWireCU.jpg

HGAConnectors.jpg

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #3,037 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished assembling two Homegrown Audio (HGA) RCA 1.0m interconnect kits. The braided wires are 22 AWG; pure silver (clear coated) for signal and two copper (red and blue) as ground returns.

The solid silver from HWA looks really cool
tongue.gif
Like it's polished
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #3,039 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Made this last night!!
Nothing fancy!!!

Canare mini quad, Neutrik 3.5 mm plug, Some 3:1 heatshrink,and flexopet.

dscf0032lq0.jpg

How did you do that Y? Do you have an image of just that section or a larger version of the thumbnail you posted?

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #3,040 of 16,312
I believe he seperated the quad into two twisted pairs, then put the shrink over that, found a triangular object to hold the y down while heat up the joint to produce the 'Y' shape.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #3,042 of 16,312
You can create that effect by clamping the heatshrink with a pair of pliers when you heat it. There might also be some additional tubing under there. Very nice clean work!

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #3,043 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you do that Y? Do you have an image of just that section or a larger version of the thumbnail you posted?

Like the other guy was saying. All I used was 1/4 inch self sticking heatshrink and used a pair of needlenose to hold it in place while shrinking. You have to use self stick tho 3:1 regular heat shrink won't work.
Once the shrink shrinks it will bond to itself. What I do is cut a piece about an inch long hold it with the needlenose shrink it, then use another piece thats a tad longer and go over top of the first one. Makes it nice and tight and sturdy.
You can do it only one time and it works fine but I like it nice and solid.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #3,044 of 16,312
ahhh use the adhesive shrink tube! Why didn't I think of that? lol
Very nice finished result. I just couldn't think of how you did it. It had occured to me that you clamped it somehow, but I didn't what made it stick together. I never use the adhesive shrink tube so that never occurred to me
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing the technique. That's why I love this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #3,045 of 16,312
Latest cable I've done recently...

DSC00248-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back