DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #12,781 of 16,307
Alright so I thought I would try my hand at a USB cable.  Wire is 24awg SPC UP-OCC 7N.  I got it from artemis cables and it is a bit hard to work with.  The insulation is very sticky for some reason and makes it a bit hard to braid.  But the USB connectors I got from Artemis are very very nice so I would highly recommend.  Anyway here is a picture.  I also thought I would use clear heat shrink instead of the standard black.   

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #12,782 of 16,307
  Alright so I thought I would try my hand at a USB cable.  Wire is 24awg SPC UP-OCC 7N.  I got it from artemis cables and it is a bit hard to work with.  The insulation is very sticky for some reason and makes it a bit hard to braid.  But the USB connectors I got from Artemis are very very nice so I would highly recommend.  Anyway here is a picture.  I also thought I would use clear heat shrink instead of the standard black.   

I'm curious to know how the cable works, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the USB standards (1.0 and 2.0 for USB audio) call for very strict specifications for the cable in order to ensure data transfer.

By using braided instead of twisted conductors and no shielding you may run into transmission errors.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #12,783 of 16,307
  I'm curious to know how the cable works, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the USB standards (1.0 and 2.0 for USB audio) call for very strict specifications for the cable in order to ensure data transfer.

By using braided instead of twisted conductors and no shielding you may run into transmission errors.

Ya I know but the materials only cost a total of about $30 so I had to try it out.  So far nothing has gone wrong.  Everything sounds the way it should and everything seems to be transmitting the way it should as well.  

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #12,784 of 16,307

I have never run into a problem using braided cables for USB. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #12,785 of 16,307

I have never run into a problem using braided cables for USB. 

Ya the biggest thing that I am contenplating is if I want to put a sleeve over it or not.  Also did you use a wire to connect the two connectors themselves?

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #12,789 of 16,307
The Viablue's are nice but a PITA compared to most other available plug's. Switchcraft, Furutech and Neutrik (for basic jobs) are predominantly the ones I used when I made cables for my IEM/CIEM's. Some of the Valab carbon fiber sleeve rhodium 3.5mm's are nice too but bit pricey.

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #12,790 of 16,307
  The Viablue's are nice but a PITA compared to most other available plug's. Switchcraft, Furutech and Neutrik (for basic jobs) are predominantly the ones I used when I made cables for my IEM/CIEM's. Some of the Valab carbon fiber sleeve rhodium 3.5mm's are nice too but bit pricey.

Working on the Viablue's is not a problem I am just tired of having the same plugs over and again. I also used the Switchcraft - high quality but looks boring. The carbon fiber you mentioned looks interesting and I need to try that one.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #12,792 of 16,307

Ya the biggest thing that I am contenplating is if I want to put a sleeve over it or not.  Also did you use a wire to connect the two connectors themselves?

Though the USB spec asks for it (along with shielding, twisted pair for data, non twisted pair for power, etc.), I did not.  So far, I have run into no problems with it.  I did end up sleeving it when I changed my ends to a micro USB OTG connector and mini USB, and it looks more sleek, but I miss the naked look sometimes :)

Old:

New:

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #12,793 of 16,307

Though the USB spec asks for it (along with shielding, twisted pair for data, non twisted pair for power, etc.), I did not.  So far, I have run into no problems with it.  I did end up sleeving it when I changed my ends to a micro USB OTG connector and mini USB, and it looks more sleek, but I miss the naked look sometimes :)

Old:

New:

where you purchased the mini usb?

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #12,794 of 16,307

Users who are viewing this thread

Back