DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #11,273 of 16,309
Quote:
Just a final question, whats the difference between 23.5 awg and 26.5 awg?

Quote:

Lol!

Depending on the stranding, it could noticeably impact the flexibility and weight of your cable.  Either gauge should be fine for just about any headphone.  I place a high priority on stranding and flexibility so that I get an easily usable cable.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #11,274 of 16,309
Quote:
Im sorry if i sound like a complete noob, but in a nut shell you just solder the individual wires (23.5awg) to the two plugs? (6,3mm -> HD650 plug).

In a nutshell, yes.  Just make sure you solder the proper wires to the proper places (doesn't matter which wires you choose, as long as you choose the same wires on both ends of the cable).

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #11,275 of 16,309
Quote:

Staying true to your name. (I joke!)
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #11,276 of 16,309
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire!  How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application?  I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #11,277 of 16,309
Quote:
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire!  How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application?  I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?

It *might* be more flexible. Depending on how many strands, and what insulator. It might not - toxic's are pretty good. 

Audibly, there should be no difference. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #11,278 of 16,309
Smaller gauge does not necessarily mean better flexibility, can depend on strand size, count, layout, annealing and dielectric. I am speaking of wires in general here and not anyone's wire in particular.

The reason the majority of us don't use anything smaller then 26AWG is reliability, anything smaller then 26AWG wires can easily tear with a small tug, unless they have really thick or hard insulation, in which case, it would make the wire stiff.

I have some new 24AWG OCC Copper wire in PE dielectric here if anyone fancies fancies some. The PE is custom formulated and is as flexible as silicone, the most flexible 24AWG wire i have ever come across. It's even more flexible then my 26AWG wire. This wire is non Cryo and 5N, unlike my other wires.

PM me your address liamstrain/couple others, if you would like to try some. I will send you enough for a 6ft cable, so you can tell us what you think.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #11,280 of 16,309
Quote:
Where do you guys recommend getting cables? What do you guys think about this cable?

Silicone wire is not bad for first projects -- they tend to be flexible even when the insulator is very thick. Silicone is not really a good dielectric, though, and the specific wire you link to has a low strand count (7 strands), so it's probably going to be moderately flexible but fatigue easily -- it won't be as nice as the usual Mogami/Canare cables recommended for beginners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back