DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #11,251 of 16,309
Quote:

Pretty much. Some headphones look ridiculous with a tiny little cable coming out of it (*ahem* LCD2). 

Most cable upgrades are about usability (length/durability/alternate connectors) and aesthetics. It is extremely rare that audible improvement is a factor. 

Quote:

As long as your total AWG is sufficient to the load and length of run, no, there should be no audible difference. 

You don't even need much awg... voice coil wires are incredibly thin after all. Heck, as long as you were careful you could probably run a bare magnet wire so thin it would be practically invisible.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #11,252 of 16,309
Quote:

So adding more braid's is just for looks? 
cool.gif

It also increases the cable's capacitance.

se

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #11,253 of 16,309
After noticing a few recent pics/comments, I wanted to ask something:

I thought paracord was horribly microphonic?

Is there something special that you've done to lessen that?  I'd love to use it to sleeve some headphone wires, but I haven't simply due to that fact.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #11,254 of 16,309
"You don't even need much awg... voice coil wires are incredibly thin after all. Heck, as long as you were careful you could probably run a bare magnet wire so thin it would be practically invisible."

Resistance goes up, the voice coil wires are thin so they can do their work in the driver - they are not about just transmitting signal. You can get away with very thin wires in headphones, to be sure, but I don't think bare magnet wire thin, not without accounting for the effect of change in LCR values.

Likewise too many extra braids - but you have to work hard to get the capacitance up to something in the audible range.

I was also aiming my comments more generally - for any given audio application, as long as you have sufficient AWG for the load and length, (and nothing too wonky re: capacitance/inductance) you're golden.

I thought paracord was horribly microphonic?

This has not been my experience. It's very much on a par with with the Techflex Multifilament - now, Monofilament - THAT is microphonic. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #11,259 of 16,309
Quote:

OK, I just got some type 1 paracord......is there a method to get the 26ga wire through?  Had a hard enough time getting 3/8" onto my Mogami Gold Neglex Quad!!

Get a small narrow anything that's a few inches long (I use a piece of solid copper wire, or sometimes the cartridge of a disposable click pen), tape your thin wires to it, pull it through. Way easier than mangling those skinny wires through the sleeving. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #11,261 of 16,309
They do work for both the 600/650 and HD25 1-II - I got mine from parts connexion (Cardas HPSC - is the connector name/brand) - but many carry them. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #11,265 of 16,309
Quote:
Hey guys, i found a cardas dealer in finland (Yay 
L3000.gif
), so what would you recommend as a cable? doing recabling on HD598's and HD 25 I-II? http://www.cardas.com/chassis_wire.php

There only complete cable that really suits headphone use is the 4x24awg. cardas premade headphone cables use this.

The other option is to use multiples of single chassis wire 23.5awg or 26.5awg(thinner) and sleeve/braid/whatever yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back