DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #7,082 of 16,312
looks good! what kind of wire did you use?

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #7,084 of 16,312
Hey, I used the 24AWG wires sold by navship on ebay. I covered it with 1/8" techflex.

Quote:
looks good! what kind of wire did you use?

@grokit, yup it's the W1000X, I don't have anything with a 6.3mm jack to plug into atm, plus I don't need 3m cables.

@Parrots, the T1 sure looks interesting, I hope to get a pair someday.
biggrin.gif
Did you finish them?

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #7,085 of 16,312

Quote:
Hey, I used the 24AWG wires sold by navship on ebay. I covered it with 1/8" techflex.

@grokit, yup it's the W1000X, I don't have anything with a 6.3mm jack to plug into atm, plus I don't need 3m cables.

@Parrots, the T1 sure looks interesting, I hope to get a pair someday.
biggrin.gif
Did you finish them?

I was asking what the other ATH was, pictured above the W1000x.

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #7,089 of 16,312
Yeah, don't know what they are like to work with. Good I supose as they are about 17 quid to buy on the bay
eek.gif

I could and may do that with the heat shrink but it has the silver dragon logo on there and it does kinda look nice..

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #7,090 of 16,312
The Viablue slim mini is about as small as the Neutrik mini?  A little longer in lengthy, am I right?  How much $$ is it?

Edit: av-outlet, and dang that price, lol

Am I seeing right, it is even smaller than the Neutrik mini?  How sturdy is it compared to the Switchcraft 35HD connector?

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #7,091 of 16,312

Quote:
I posted pictures of the small Viablue next to the Neutrik earlier in the thread and they are exactly the same size as the Neutrik...

You posted it quite a bit earlier, searching didn't bring it up right away.

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #7,092 of 16,312

Quote:
You are a craftsman Matt.
Love those Oyaide jacks, just pure class the stuff you turn out
beerchug.gif

X2, very nice looking work.

Quote:
If you're referring to the pics from me, they're still the W1000X, its with everything removed and only the frame.

Whoops, I must have been tired I thought those had cups on them.

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #7,093 of 16,312

Quote:
Ok I got my hand on UE connectors and Viablue sexy-slim-jacks.

Now, this is my tribute to all of the cables I have made :)

Viablue 3,5mm slim plug. By far the best plug I've ever worked with. Clear tech-flex

Very simple spliter

UE pins + customs UM 3-way

Used parts:
Clarivoyant golden plated solid core copper 26AWG
Custom UE 2pin plugs
Viable slim jack 3,5mm
Clear teflon tubing 24AWG.
Clear tech-flex
Clear heatshrinks

Sound: exeptional. Very different from solid silver. Sound is massive with big bass and very polite treble. It's smooth, intimate yet clear and dynamic.

The only problem is its stiffness. But AFAIR solid silver core was also as stiff as plated copper. So I hope it will soften just as my silver did.

Nicely done! However is that GPOCC wire too stiff to make IC for iems? The 24awg I'm having on my hands now is the hardest wire I ever had and I would expect massive amount of microphonic if you walk around with it, plus it might break your pin connectors in the worst case. Please let us know your experience with it since then.

I wouldn't go for solid silver core either. Your best shot might be some UPOCC silver, 28 awg would work well with some 26 awg teflon and they are very very soft.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #7,094 of 16,312
I realize this isn't exactly "head-fi" but I thought some might like the look.

I do a lot of custom cabling, experimental electronic instruments for my own needs and for other people as well.

10 meter 4 channel multicore extension
Canford cabling, cheap neutrik clone xlr plugs(not convinced about their quality ...), paracord sleeving(I already use these colours for all my personal cable wraps so the gear is easy to identify).

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #7,095 of 16,312
Yeah GPOCC 26AWG is quite stiff. But from my experience solid cores are getting softer over time. Will see in few months. Microphonics are very present. Though I havent been walking outside my house with it yet. Will report later.
My 26AWG silver is very soft now after a year of constant use, but it's got softer after a month or so.
The best for IEMs would wire made from few strands of 32AWG solid core per channel, but there's no one selling. I've already thought about buying a lot of 28 or 30AWG solid and stranding it to 24AWG. It will be soft enough I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back