DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #7,068 of 16,309
Hey cyber, do you have a trick to get that heatshrink to look so nice over that Rean plug? It's perfectly even and it looks amazing.

Also, this is directed at no one in particular. Which is the cheap flexible four braid microphone cable that is most recommended? I want to buy several types and compare them myself somehow.

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #7,069 of 16,309
Practice :wink:. Eliminating any slop from the cable so the barrel doesn't wobble helps too, but practice is key.

Mogami miniquad for me, or Canare mini-quad. Gotham makes some too, as well as Redco. For standard sized quad cable, any of the bigger cable companies makes several versions. I personally like the Mogami offerings as I hate working with a braided shield, just a PITA to deal with, especially when using balanced mic cable with XLR plugs.

Brendan

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #7,070 of 16,309
Weekend is coming up for a big project I'm doing, received the Pailiccs 3.5mm v2 plugs today in the mail, just waiting for 6 ViaBlue splitters and 2 ViaBlue 3.5mm plugs (cost a fair bit) and need to order some more 24 AWG pure silver cables as you can see in the photo I'm running out with 9ft left. :frowning2:

In order in the picture:
4x Pailiccs Silver 3.5mm plugs
2x Pailiccs 3.5mm v2 plugs
4x Neutrik Rean 3.5mm plugs

3 Braid 99.99 Pure silver cable ready to have ends terminated with 2 Reans for interconnect.
9 Ft 24 awg pure silver cable 

Not in the picture already have:
Various sizes of heatshrink
1/8 Monofilament Braid 
2/32 Monofilament Braid

Things on the way, haven't received yet:
6x ViaBlue NF-S1 splitters
2x ViaBlue T6s 3.5mm plugs

Need to buy:
50ft of 28AWG Pure Silver cable (Need to negotiate prices at the moment)
30ft (2x15ft) of 24AWG Pure Silver cable

Will keep you guys posted when the things have been finalized.

Cheers :)

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #7,071 of 16,309

Quote:
3 Braid 99.99 OFC Pure silver cable ready to have ends terminated with 2 Reans for interconnect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OFC = Oxygen Free Copper?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #7,073 of 16,309

Quote:
So is that the silver wire from eBay, if it is then that's not occ silver at all, not even pure silver.

Aside from bragging rights, it wouldn't matter if it were.  So long as it's 99% silver (the definition of purity notwithstanding), the oxygen content shouldn't bring it below the 105 IACS standard.  Honestly, the silver plugs he's using (rather than brass or nickel) have more of a positive effect on the conductivity of the whole circuit than some miniscule amount of tin or zinc "tainting" the wire.

Quote:
Weekend is coming up for a big project I'm doing, received the Pailiccs 3.5mm v2 plugs today in the mail, just waiting for 6 ViaBlue splitters and 2 ViaBlue 3.5mm plugs (cost a fair bit) and need to order some more 24 AWG pure silver cables as you can see in the photo I'm running out with 9ft left. :frowning2:

Dude, that white cable and those plugs are going to make some sexy cable babies together.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #7,074 of 16,309
popcorn.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #7,075 of 16,309
Ok I got my hand on UE connectors and Viablue sexy-slim-jacks.

Now, this is my tribute to all of the cables I have made :)

Viablue 3,5mm slim plug. By far the best plug I've ever worked with. Clear tech-flex

Very simple spliter

UE pins + customs UM 3-way

Used parts:
Clarivoyant golden plated solid core copper 26AWG
Custom UE 2pin plugs
Viable slim jack 3,5mm
Clear teflon tubing 24AWG.
Clear tech-flex
Clear heatshrinks

Sound: exeptional. Very different from solid silver. Sound is massive with big bass and very polite treble. It's smooth, intimate yet clear and dynamic.

The only problem is its stiffness. But AFAIR solid silver core was also as stiff as plated copper. So I hope it will soften just as my silver did.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #7,078 of 16,309

Quote:
Ok I got my hand on UE connectors and Viablue sexy-slim-jacks.

Now, this is my tribute to all of the cables I have made :)

Those are too beautiful. Couple it with your photo quality and they are ASTOUNDING. Great job on this! The jack looks pretty bare without any form of stress relief though.. Also, why use solid core over stranded wire? Isn't flexibility and pliability quite a huge important feature of portable IEM cables..?

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #7,079 of 16,309

Quote:
Those are too beautiful. Couple it with your photo quality and they are ASTOUNDING. Great job on this! The jack looks pretty bare without any form of stress relief though.. Also, why use solid core over stranded wire? Isn't flexibility and pliability quite a huge important feature of portable IEM cables..?

Thank you!
Strain relief for solid core in IEM cable isn't good idea. I've tested it out with my previous cable, which broke because of strain relief lol.
Why solid core? because there's no good stranded wires and cores are pretty cheap. Though flexibility and especially keeping down microphonics are very importnat, I don't really care if my cable is very flexible. I'm using customs on rare occasions now.

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #7,080 of 16,309
The little 3 braid is pure silver which was originally 35cm of 99.99% pure silver cabling which cost me $8.50 AUD from a local audio distributor, the 24awg is from ebay one of the sellers that alot of people buy wire from here on headfi, not sure if it was pure silver if I remember, but I added it so I will change the original description in my post.

The Pailiccs are silver colored or similar (wasn't refering to what metal property it was), http://www.nutsaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=33 .

Whats your take on this Parrots: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-Wire-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Silver-24AWG-Teflon-/320730427618?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item4aad05f0e2

Correct me if I'm wrong but it feels like your targetting me here Parrots :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back