DIY amp kits list
Jan 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

earthpeople

Headphoneus Supremus
Been looking around for amps that can be self built and are sold in kits. I'm compiling a list, so please post if you know of any that aren't mentioned. Thanks!

Solid State

Jaycar Electronics Stereo Headphone Distribution Amplifier // £10.25

AMB Labs Mini³ // $88.92

AMB Labs Beta 22 // $92.29 x2+
----Notes: This requires at least two sets, so the actual cost is $184.58 minimum.

DAK Novo // £120.00
----Notes: This includes a case and power supply. There are lower cost options listed at the website that don't include the power supply and/or case

Tube

Oatley Electronics K272 // (AUD)$27

Cavalli Bijou // $169.52
----Notes: "This project uses high voltage that are potentially lethal. Do not attempt if you are not experienced in building high voltage projects." - Glass Jar Audio

Millett Hybrid Maxed // 177.80
----Notes: Currently out of stock, I don't know if they will become available again sometime in the future or not.

Elekit TU-879S // $585

MapleTree Ear+ HD // $600

Many of these are not fully complete, meaning they do not come with a power supply, case, or various other required parts. Please make sure to check what else you will need to get before ordering any of these and later finding that you still need to spend quite a bit to finish the project.

Of course, you can always just get the list of parts and order them yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

I prefer to get everything together at one time, but it may be cheaper and/or you can select better parts if you order separately.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm very interested in such a list myself. Haven't decided yet, but I might build my own amp. My main gripe is simply ordering them and complete kits like these pretty much solve that issue. Ordering separate components wouldn't be much of an issue if I already had a decent amp though, but this would be my first amp. In then end, I might simply decide to buy an 'off the shelve' amp somewhere though, that depends on the DIY option that are around.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 17
Jan 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 17
glassjaraudio.com has:

AMB Mini M3 // $88.92 // SS
AMB B22 // varies need 2 boards min. // SS
Calvalli Bijou // $170 // Tube (high voltage expert only build)

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would add - look at parts list and buy it yourself.
wink.gif

X2.

Selecting parts is easy. You can save by sourcing parts from local electronics stores, too.

Or substitute in the boutique caps you want or use the pot you want, use a higher spec transformer, whatever you want.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 17
A note about many of the "kits" mentioned, they don't include a power supply, chassis or many of the other parts that would be required to build a functioning amplifier.

For example, the beta22 "kit" that you have listed @ $184.58 will get you two nicely populated boards when done which won't do anything. You could easily spend double that and still not be done.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming!

I've also added a note at the end about buying the parts separate instead of in a kit. I think a kit list will still be helpful though, especially for those of us less experienced with parts, brands, etc.

[edit: also added a very visible note regarding the fact that you may need to spend more money than listed to be completely finished. Thanks for bringing that up, n_maher. Kind of slipped my mind.]

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Once you know how to source parts, you can build any number of hundreds of amps out there.

If anyone doesn't know how to source parts, ask. Or just start poking arou d some place like Antique Electric Supply with a schematic and see how many of the parts you can find yourself.

Once you see that part selection and ordering isn't a big deal, you are going to kick yourself for limiting your choices to kits.

If you are wondering about power ratings, substitutions, where to find a particular part, etc., just ask. That's why the forum is here.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 17
If you want something fun that you can put together in a relatively short time then take a look at the YAHA amp. I'm in the process of building one and have been having great fun doing so.

That amp from Oatley Electronics looks tempting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back