"Dixie" or "Yankee", the quiz
Feb 21, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 53
49% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category. Most of my answers were...common throughout the US.

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 53
33% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 53
"57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category."
confused.gif

Canadians shouldn't do this test.

12. What is spread onto the tops of cakes?
my choice:icing
result:All of southern U.S., and Midwest except Great Lakes area

15. Where might you get water in a public building?
my choice:water fountain
result:Most common nationwide except for Great Lakes area

I can see Lake Ontario from my window!
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

48% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

This is not good. I should have scored more Dixie than this.

I had several answers that scored "Most common around the Great Lakes". I live in Oregon
confused.gif
I guess eyeteeth and I should switch places.
icon10.gif

Remember eyeteeth, you do live in Southern Canada.
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 53
44% Yankee until I changed my answer for 'pajamas' to 'rhymes with FAther. Now I'm 61% Dixie??? hmmm.

I still say a 'grinder' is a hot grilled sandwich, though. Coming from PA I went with "hoagie," although I also use 'sub' because of NY and 'hero' because of MA.

Why didn't they have a question on 'grits'? Whether you put milk, butter or honey on it?
biggrin.gif

Or "Have you ever had a steak or pork chop for breakfast?" I've enjoyed grilled salmon for breakfast, especially if cold. yummm. I also like salmon with slices of salted apples, while my brother loves it with white rice. What do the people in Oregon / Washington State eat it with, and do they eat it for breakfast?

I loved telling a guy in "Subway" (hero house) if they had beans for breakfast. He looked at me like I was insane. I had to remind him that Cowboys ate beans for breakfast 100 years ago.

I was amazed that I knew what a Roly Poly was.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 53
41% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I consider myself a very competent englih speaker and really don't have any particular accent (unless compared to Britain or something).

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
41% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I consider myself a very competent English speaker and really don't have any particular accent (unless compared to Britain or something).

That's ENG-Lish, not IN-GLISH, son.
biggrin.gif

My buddy from NYC went to Vegas. He walked up to the cashier and said, "Two". The cashier screamed out - "You're from New Yawk".
biggrin.gif
We all have accents. Mine is from NYC, by way of Britian, on it's way to Spain.

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Why didn't they have a question on 'grits'? Whether you put milk, butter or honey on it?

what are grits? im assuming that their food but are they a breakfast food or la dinner thing?
confused.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
what are grits?

Says the Yankee.
biggrin.gif

White corn. Looks like mashed potatoes. ("-toes", that's just my way of spelling. I also always have to correct "both"; I am always spelling it "bothe". Don't know why.) I like mine with honey and butter.

Another: "How do you prefer 'pie ala mode,' with or without cheese?" (Thrown in for our French Canadian neighbours.)

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 53
I've had salmon for breakfast. Both at home here in Oregon and in Washington at the space needle.

Yes, we all have accents, I really notice those from Chicago that are working here right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back