Did I get in over-my-head?
Sep 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nicklemarr

New Head-Fier
I ended up winning the following auction on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150666899193

I talked to the guy, and he said he is throwing in an extra pair of Koss K-6's for free. I've order new cups for all the sets, and I'm in the process of ordering a driver for the AKG's to fix the right one.

What I wanted to know was, can anyone give me a little one sentence preview on any of these? I'd rather ask you guys than read reviews from shady places.

Also, am I over-my-head (Was is worth it?) paying 40-ish dollars for everything including the cups/driver?

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Those Yamahas were supposed to be half decent there's a few posts I was checking out the other day in here, from a year or two back at least. Also the Koss should have a lifetime warranty if they are listed at the KOSS SITE, and have cheapo pads I think $5 a set (?) for the models also at thier site.    Sure why not probably even cheaper than a thrift store if you could even find all these together.  Be fun seeing what's up with the AKG if it just needs soldering.

I say you got a good deal, and it will also let you check out their differing sound qualities.  Finding pads I'd say go with cheapos, maybe find sizes and check at Koss for most of what will be comparable. At least you know they are decent and cheap.

Good score. $40 is nothin all said and done.

Did he throw in plans for a neck brace attachment for your chair with those things in the picture? If they are anything like the Sansui SS-20 I have they are ridiculously heavy after a bit.

Oh I see according to your profile you are a " Self proclaimed professional amateur " so you should be A ok with these.
dt880smile.png

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 4
Those Yamahas were supposed to be half decent there's a few posts I was checking out the other day in here, from a year or two back at least. Also the Koss should have a lifetime warranty if they are listed at the KOSS SITE, and have cheapo pads I think $5 a set (?) for the models also at thier site.    Sure why not probably even cheaper than a thrift store if you could even find all these together.  Be fun seeing what's up with the AKG if it just needs soldering.

I say you got a good deal, and it will also let you check out their differing sound qualities.  Finding pads I'd say go with cheapos, maybe find sizes and check at Koss for most of what will be comparable. At least you know they are decent and cheap.

Good score. $40 is nothin all said and done.

Did he throw in plans for a neck brace attachment for your chair with those things in the picture? If they are anything like the Sansui SS-20 I have they are ridiculously heavy after a bit.

Oh I see according to your profile you are a " Self proclaimed professional amateur " so you should be A ok with these.
dt880smile.png

Yup, you should do just fine. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back