DEVA Pro with Bluemini R2R--Combining the Best of the HIFIMAN Latest Developments
Jan 21, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #301 of 355
Just thought I'd add this as I've had an issue with volume increments as discussed here. I found a solution. If you have UAPP Pro, you can use the software volume control which allows you to fine tune the volume. I was close to selling as it was either slightly too loud or too low. Hope this helps.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #302 of 355
Just thought I'd add this as I've had an issue with volume increments as discussed here. I found a solution. If you have UAPP Pro, you can use the software volume control which allows you to fine tune the volume. I was close to selling as it was either slightly too loud or too low. Hope this helps.
Great idea! :)

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #303 of 355
I saw a Deva Pro in the wild a few days ago. My wife and I went to a local coffee shop and I saw a guy there using the Deva with the Bluemini. He wasn't blasting music or anything, as I could not hear anything coming from them over the usual coffeeshop sounds and music. I wouldn't have considered an open-back to be the prime candidate for use in a crowded coffee shop, but he seemed to be comfortable with them. I suppose it's better to keep track of your surroundings and know when your drink is ready at the counter. I almost wanted to ask him about it, but I thought that would be weird.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #305 of 355
^ You know that you are supposed to use English on this site. :) Google translate is your friend.

''Hi guys, I have a DEVA PRO and I wanted to update the HIMALAYA Bluetooth FW. I wanted to know the procedure and if it improves, thanks.''

BTW Guys, the lack of volume control (as well as the lack of fine adjustment) was a deal breaker for me and I now only have the wired version and find it pretty good and great value.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #306 of 355
Does anyone know if there's an appropriate cable I could use (preferably a short one) to connect the Qudelix 5k 2.5mm balanced output to the 3.5mm TRRS on the Deva pro?

To my ears the Qudelix sounds better and has lots of tweaking options and more codecs.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #307 of 355
Does anyone know if there's an appropriate cable I could use (preferably a short one) to connect the Qudelix 5k 2.5mm balanced output to the 3.5mm TRRS on the Deva pro?

To my ears the Qudelix sounds better and has lots of tweaking options and more codecs.
I am using the Hartaudio modular cable system for my Deva. You can order it in any length and connection you like. The plus about this is that it won't break the bank for a (really) good quality cable. If you are outside the US this might be a bit more expensive though as you would have to order it from their website (which is in the US), but they will ship to anywhere.

Otherwise you could search on Aliexpress for something like this.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #308 of 355
Just noticed Amazon UK have the wired only version of these in stock for £158. So thinking about buying and using them 2.5mm balanced into my Qudelix like a few others have also mentioned.

I had the wireless version last year but ended up selling them due to the annoyances with the Bluemini reported in this thread such as too steep volume steps, obnoxiously loud prompts etc. Felt like a prototype more than a finished product really.

But I'd also like to use the Deva's into the PS5 controller's 3.5mm jack for casual gaming, potentially using a single sided 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable if possible.

So can anyone confirm if I'll be able to use a standard 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm single sided cable please? Eg. standard 2 black rings on both plug ends. Or do I specifically need a 3.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm cable with 3 black rings on the headphone cup end.

Obviously I can just use the included 2 sided cable but I've always found single sided cables to be noticeably less obtrusive and lighter that's all...

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #309 of 355
Just noticed Amazon UK have the wired only version of these in stock for £158. So thinking about buying and using them 2.5mm balanced into my Qudelix like a few others have also mentioned.

I had the wireless version last year but ended up selling them due to the annoyances with the Bluemini reported in this thread such as too steep volume steps, obnoxiously loud prompts etc. Felt like a prototype more than a finished product really.

But I'd also like to use the Deva's into the PS5 controller's 3.5mm jack for casual gaming, potentially using a single sided 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable if possible.

So can anyone confirm if I'll be able to use a standard 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm single sided cable please? Eg. standard 2 black rings on both plug ends. Or do I specifically need a 3.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm cable with 3 black rings on the headphone cup end.

Obviously I can just use the included 2 sided cable but I've always found single sided cables to be noticeably less obtrusive and lighter that's all...

Thanks!
Keep in mind that if you DO go with 2.5mm balanced, you would want to use a single cable, not a dual cable (because one side is SE). Hifiman made this more confusing than they needed to IMO.

You certainly can use a single SE cable with these. When you have a headphone that is wired to be balanced, you can always use a non-balanced cable with these as well as balanced. But you cannot go the other way round. So, you could look at it this way (looking at it from the source connector up to the headphones):

• TRS to TRS = OK
  • TRS to TRRS = OK
  • TRRS to TRRS = OK
  • TRRS to TRS = BAD (shorting grounds together unless you have a specialty cable that rectifies this)
P.S. Honestly, I am not sure why they added the ability to have a dual cable on these, because if you use a single cable into the balanced side of the headphones, you can use either cable with them (SE or balanced). The OG Deva have only 1 port into the cups and it is balanced, making it easy to figure out what you want to use.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #310 of 355
P.S. Honestly, I am not sure why they added the ability to have a dual cable on these, because if you use a single cable into the balanced side of the headphones, you can use either cable with them (SE or balanced). The OG Deva have only 1 port into the cups and it is balanced, making it easy to figure out what you want to use.

I always assumed they got complaints from silly audiophiles about not being able to use cables they bought for other Hifiman headphones on the OG Deva. I agree it's useless and even potentially a negative since it leads to more confusion

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #311 of 355
Keep in mind that if you DO go with 2.5mm balanced, you would want to use a single cable, not a dual cable (because one side is SE). Hifiman made this more confusing than they needed to IMO.

You certainly can use a single SE cable with these. When you have a headphone that is wired to be balanced, you can always use a non-balanced cable with these as well as balanced. But you cannot go the other way round. So, you could look at it this way (looking at it from the source connector up to the headphones):

• TRS to TRS = OK
  • TRS to TRRS = OK
  • TRRS to TRRS = OK
  • TRRS to TRS = BAD (shorting grounds together unless you have a specialty cable that rectifies this)

Brilliant, cheers samandhi.

Yeah was well aware of the single cable thing when going balanced thanks to yours and others posts in this thread and Wave Theory's videos on YouTube.

But was just unsure whether or not would need a TRRS to TRS 3.5mm cable if I also wanted to do 3.5mm to 3.5mm single sided that's all. I think TRRS 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables are usually only to accomodate mic's built into the cable anyway.

I've actually got a really nice 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm balanced cable on hand but recently had a clear out and got rid of my 4.4mm dongles. Figured would just keep the Qudelix as it covers so many bases, just seems that 2.5mm is being phased out which might be a bit of a hassle going forward

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #312 of 355
Brilliant, cheers samandhi.

Yeah was well aware of the single cable thing when going balanced thanks to yours and others posts in this thread and Wave Theory's videos on YouTube.

But was just unsure whether or not would need a TRRS to TRS 3.5mm cable if I also wanted to do 3.5mm to 3.5mm single sided that's all. I think TRRS 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables are usually only to accomodate mic's built into the cable anyway.

I've actually got a really nice 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm balanced cable on hand but recently had a clear out and got rid of my 4.4mm dongles. Figured would just keep the Qudelix as it covers so many bases, just seems that 2.5mm is being phased out which might be a bit of a hassle going forward
Sounds like you have it figured out.. :)

I think you are right about the 3.5mm balanced being for mic... It (the TRRS configuration) was also used for iPod (and android) volume and playback controls; though it was not actually wired as a balanced cable would be, it was still SE, just using TRRS layout.

While I haven't heard it myself, I have read that the Qudelix is a gem to have with the Deva (and many other sets too).

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #313 of 355
Excuse me guys but I like the separate cable entry sockets on both cups, especially when only using the wired only version.

BTW, I see nothing wrong with the stock cable that comes with the wired version.

I also try to steer clear of balanced cables & amps and have managed to stay content.

I have experienced several upgrade cables as well as balanced cables with a balanced amp, but they are not worth the hassle and can even degrade the sound compared to single ended done well.

Yes indeed, the hideous loud voice prompts was a total mess by HF, WHF where they thinking!!! Surly they could have sorted that out the lazy *****!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #314 of 355
Excuse me guys but I like the separate cable entry sockets on both cups, especially when only using the wired only version.

Why? Just symmetry, or being able to use the same cable on other headphones?

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #315 of 355

BTW, I see nothing wrong with the stock cable that comes with the wired version.

I also try to steer clear of balanced cables & amps and have managed to be stay content.

I have experienced several upgrade cables as well as balanced cables with a balanced amp, but they are not worth the hassle and can even degrade the sound compared to single ended done well.

Yes indeed, the hideous loud voice prompts was a total mess by HF, WHF where they thinking!!! Surly they could have sorted that out the lazy *****!
That is all well and good, and is good for you (well, your ears anyhow LOL); however, there are those that find a balanced connection to sound better, which makes sense since these are planars and require more current than typical DD sets, rather than voltage. That isn't to say that the experience from 3.5mm SE is bad by any means, but from my experience, these DO scale with more power, which a balanced connection provides more of in most cases. And, depending on the type (and mixing) of music one listens to, crosstalk will come into play here as well, which a balanced connection will always do better than SE (it is simple physics in this case).

You are definitely correct that it CAN degrade the sound, but not because it is a balanced connection. It is more likely that it is because it simply doesn't synergize well with that particular amp. You are also correct in that a well implemented 3.5mm socket can sound VERY good.

Bottom line is, use what you like. Most of this hobby is purely subjective anyhow. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back