DEVA Pro with Bluemini R2R--Combining the Best of the HIFIMAN Latest Developments
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #286 of 355
It sounds like an amplifier implementation issue, but it is weird because I don't have (nor have read about) any such issues with the OG Bluemini (non R2R) with any volume level. Interesting that some of you have not only had this issue, but over multiple devices.
Noise become less obvious with louder music on volume over 50-60% on Bluetooth. But with quieter music and less than 50% volume it gets really annoying.

And Yes, this is my 4th(!) Bluemini R2R so this must be common issue. As many other people mentioned here, R2R can’t control volume gradually. It gets suddenly louder around over 50-60%. Up to 50% it is too small. With 30% the sound balance between left and right is wrong, a lot of static noise comes especially from right earcup. It is not usable when I listen to acoustic music with small volume.

This happens on both Bluetooth and USB cable connection so Yes, you are right, an amplifier implementation issue. That’s the exact word:)
I am making a big fuss here so that it gets more attention from HIFIMAN. I have already reported this to their support but never received satisfactory answer apart from replacement offer…

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #287 of 355
As many other people mentioned here, R2R can’t control volume gradually. It gets suddenly louder around over 50-60%. Up to 50% it is too small.
While I have not noticed any noise issues on the OG Bluemini, this exact same issue has been around since the beginning, and it looks like they have never bothered to fix it with the R2R Bluemini (this being the 3rd version of Bluemini overall IIRC). The ironic part is that the volume it skips to get either louder or softer, is right in the area that I am wanting to listen to most times, so I don't get to hear it in the "sweet" spot for my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #288 of 355
I am supporting the Big Fuss of @mimi92. :smile: I have no desktop amplifier, so I hoped that I can use the Dongle as my amp. Because of the noise I only use it for bluetooth.

Because of the background noise I turned back to my Shanling UA2 Dongle, and so I have a cable question again.
The Shanling UA2 has a 125mw@32 Ohm Output for 3,5mm as well as a 195mw@32 Ohm Output for dual 2,5mm.

Is there any cable I could buy in order to get the 195mw into the Deva? No need to explain, please just link me the right cable. :wink:

Sep 11, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #289 of 355
I am supporting the Big Fuss of @mimi92. :smile: I have no desktop amplifier, so I hoped that I can use the Dongle as my amp. Because of the noise I only use it for bluetooth.

Because of the background noise I turned back to my Shanling UA2 Dongle, and so I have a cable question again.
The Shanling UA2 has a 125mw@32 Ohm Output for 3,5mm as well as a 195mw@32 Ohm Output for dual 2,5mm.

Is there any cable I could buy in order to get the 195mw into the Deva? No need to explain, please just link me the right cable. :wink:
I'm not sure what you meant by "dual 2.5mm", since the UA2 has only a single 2.5mm balanced out.

Here is the cable that you would want for the most power from the UA2. Though, keep in mind it might not sound very good, because the Deva pro are only 18ohms, and that dongle has output impedance of 1.6ohms.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #290 of 355
I'm not sure what you meant by "dual 2.5mm", since the UA2 has only a single 2.5mm balanced out.

Here is the cable that you would want for the most power from the UA2. Though, keep in mind it might not sound very good, because the Deva pro are only 18ohms, and that dongle has output impedance of 1.6ohms.

Thank you a lot. :)

To my knowledge is Output Impedance mostly irrelevant on Planars. I read some reviews on https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/ . He compared up to 120 Ohms and there was practically no difference on any Hifiman Planar he measured. Besides, 1,6 Ohm is not so bad and below the 1:8 ratio. It should be fine, I think.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #291 of 355
Thank you a lot. :)

To my knowledge is Output Impedance mostly irrelevant on Planars. I read some reviews on https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/ . He compared up to 120 Ohms and there was practically no difference on any Hifiman Planar he measured. Besides, 1,6 Ohm is not so bad and below the 1:8 ratio. It should be fine, I think.
Your welcome!

As long as your happy, then all is well.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #292 of 355
So I sent the following message to the Hifiman support. Hopefully they try to do something about it. I spent a lot of my time for this problem so I hope they do the same...
Wish me good luck!

I want to report the noise problem with the Bluemini R2R unit.
This is my 4th unit and it has the following issues.
I found many people who reported the same issue on the internet forum.
Please pass this information to your engineers and fix the issue via firmware update(if possible) or at least acknowledge the problem and try to do something about it.

1) There is static/white noise when music is played via R2R. Both on bluetooth and USB wired connection.

2) The noise is very obvious on quiet acoustic music, for example piano sonata. There is noise between the tracks and on the quiet part of the music.

3) The noise gets more annoying with the smaller volume. Via bluetooth volume level under 40% noise is persistent through the track.

4) Related to the above issues, Bluetooth volume level gets either too small or too loud. There is no finer gradual middle volume control.
Also Under 20-30% volume, it is too small and left and right channel volume are not even, a lot of static noise occurs especially from the right channel.

5) Considering the above it seems there is an amplifier implementation issue on the Bluemini R2R.

I love the idea of detachable bluetooth dongles.
It is such a shame that the Blumini R2R has these noise and volume control issues. It seems the most basic thing before the sound quality.
I have owned many bluetooth headphones and earbuds. None of them had such issues and they are much cheaper products.

I bought my Deva Pro with the Bluemini R2R in April. First two units had very obvious noise via Bluemini so had to return and replace them immediately.
The Last two units have less obvious but still persistent noise issues.
For nearly half a year I am spending a lot of time solving the problem by contacting customer support, replacements, and posting issues on internet forums.

So please acknowledge the issue and try to find the cause of the problem.
This product is meant to be for audio enthusiasts, so I expect a higher standard.

Best regards

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #293 of 355
Yes, I experienced the same. But there are versions of the dongle which are quiet even on these sonatas? Are you sure?

For those who never heard this noise, they should check out this piece:

You can also hear it pretty well on the bass intro of Massive Attacks "Angel".

Hi, do you hear a lot of static distorted sounds comes from right earcup when you listen to Spiegel im Spiegel via Bluetooth with volume under around 35% I had the exact the same issue with my previous Bluemini.
By the way, I love this track too:) It is on my play list.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #294 of 355
Hi, do you hear a lot of static distorted sounds comes from right earcup when you listen to Spiegel im Spiegel via Bluetooth with volume under around 35% I had the exact the same issue with my previous Bluemini.
I got it on both ear cups :-/

One more cable question. If I want to get the 195mw out of the Shanling UA2 Dongle, I could also use 2,5mm TRRS to 2x 3,5mm TRS - correct?

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #295 of 355
I got it on both ear cups :-/

One more cable question. If I want to get the 195mw out of the Shanling UA2 Dongle, I could also use 2,5mm TRRS to 2x 3,5mm TRS - correct?
No, you would be using balanced output to SE input. If you do this, you will be shorting grounds on your amp... If you want the 195mW of power with your current setup, you HAVE to use the single cable I linked earlier (or something similar).

DevaProWiring.PNG

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #296 of 355
Silly question, but you don't have your Bluemini hooked to the wrong input on the headphones do you? If you do, you would be going balanced out to SE in, and that would cause the noise in the right (non-balanced) cup, and could burn up your amplifier circuit....

If not, then ignore my post. :)

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #297 of 355
Silly question, but you don't have your Bluemini hooked to the wrong input on the headphones do you? If you do, you would be going balanced out to SE in, and that would cause the noise in the right (non-balanced) cup, and could burn up your amplifier circuit....

If not, then ignore my post. :)
No I don't. It's on the left earcup always:) it's a bit confusing design though. They could design the headphones so that Bluemini doesn't fits into left side accidentally.

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #298 of 355
No I don't. It's on the left earcup always:) it's a bit confusing design though. They could design the headphones so that Bluemini doesn't fits into left side accidentally.
IKR?

I have the OG Deva which only has the one connector. I think they should have left it that way. You can use either cable in them (as long as you don't use balanced out to SE cable), but it is much easier to understand in the long run. They HAD to know it would cause issues having the setup they have with the Deva Pro?!

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #299 of 355
The noise issues with the Bluemini made me wonder if third party Bluetooth solutions like this would work: https://www.techhive.com/article/803473/creative-bt-w4-review.html

What do you think? I mean, the Deva must have some kind of bluetooth compability in order to make the Bluemini work, right? If yes, this might also be interesting for people who dont own the Bluemini.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #300 of 355
The noise issues with the Bluemini made me wonder if third party Bluetooth solutions like this would work: https://www.techhive.com/article/803473/creative-bt-w4-review.html

What do you think? I mean, the Deva must have some kind of bluetooth compability in order to make the Bluemini work, right? If yes, this might also be interesting for people who dont own the Bluemini.
You would still need the Bluemini. This product is just a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into USB-C (the Bluemini being a BT receiver). So, if there are problems with the Bluemini, you will still have those issues, but will only be able to connect with AptX type codecs (and SBC), and no LDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back