Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Feb 22, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #212 of 699
Cool!

Here is my current solution (until cases get available again):
My Aliexpress order for the case was cancelled but I was only able to order it from Anson directly. Only red/burgundy is available. It's on the way now and I'll share pics once the case arrives.

Feb 23, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #213 of 699
I am using my SG1 for a while now and here are my thoughts on it:
  1. Build, design and colors are really wonderful! If you generally like the concept of a BT DAC Amp (that connects with any of your digital devices and lets you enjoy great sound with their interfaces, while leaving the amp in your pocket ) and you also love the feeling of holding a really solid, well-designed high quality audio device that has a bit of heft to it - this is absolutely for you (and there are not many alternatives for this combination)! Obviously this is not for you, if you want something to clip on your shirt for a run. Size is pocketable, but you will definitely feel it more in your pocket than something like the BTR7 and might want to put it back into your backpack after using it. And corners are a bit too sharp for that purpose imo, while visually they look cool. The feel and handling of the volume knob is fantastic (but you have to update the firmware to debug it first!)… and I like its position on top of the device for using it blindly (much better than the volume rockers of the BTR7)!
  2. BT connection is very stable and the signal strength and reach is great! No complaints here. Just like most BT devices multi source pairing is…meh. Once you get it connected to more than one device it often gets confused, sometimes plays no sound at all etc. I don’t know why this seems so difficult for most makers to implement, but the only ones from my experience that get that right are the BTR7 and Qudelix. BTR7 is almost like an Apple device - it stays connected with two devices and automatically detects which one is playing. SG1 can’t do that. With the SG1 it is easy to quickly reset the existing connection and replace it with another one though (by pressing the middle button for 3 seconds).
  3. Amplification and hiss: So far I have exclusively used the SG 1 with earphones. Only with a few models I detect a very slight hiss, but to my ears it is far from being distracting (far less than something like the Go Blu, for example, that hisses way too much to my ears). What surprised me a bit though, is, that the maximum volume of the SG1 is comparably low compared to Go Blu or BTR7. Well, I am a loud listener, and it still satisfies me - but I can crank it up all way…which I never do with my Go Blu or BTR7. Makes me wonder about the driving power with demanding headphones... but I leave that field to others, since I am an IEM fan. By the way, I have realized that loudness and also sound signature with some of my earphones can slightly vary depending on whether I use the 3,5 or 4,4 output…though they are supposed to be the same. This lets me suspect there are some slight impedance differences going on….
  4. Battery life is fine. Other than with the BTR7 there is not such a big difference in battery life using the 3,5 mm or 4,4mm port. I get around 6 (sometimes 7) hours playing time out of both outputs.
  5. Sound: Several reviewers have described the SG1 as (one of) the best sounding BT device/s (though the description of its sound signature seems to differ depending on the reviewer)… but others have even stated that its measurements are bad. So, who is right? Well, maybe they are all right in their own way - let me give you my personal take on this. First, what I can tell for sure is, that this device clearly sounds different to any other BT device I have tried so far…and I have tried quite a few of them. For example, Qudelix, BTR5, BTR7, XDSD, GoBlu (without Xbass/Xspace) - all sound very similar in my book….only slight nuances. With the SG1 the differences are bigger, it’s very easy to distinguish its sound from the rest. I am not a measurement guy by any means, but this could already be a hint that there really is a type of coloration/distortion going on (since most companies strive to reach neutral output measurements - in other words: this is why their devices sound similar). Then, on the other hand, what people like is another very subjective story. To me, the SG1 has noticeably elevated mid bass , elevated mids and also a slightly softened treble - but done in a very tasteful manner that… well… let the device in deed sound really „pleasant“! It very much reminds me of typical R2R sound, like from the Hifiman R2R2000 Red, that I have owned a while ago. But before I got the SG1, I was also listening a lot with my BTR7 - and my first thoughts about the SG1 in direct comparison were: „Where has the treble energy of some songs gone to?“ But at the same time: „Wow, it sounds so much fuller and more dynamic than the Fiio (that sounds almost tinny besides the SG1).“ If you own both devices and really compare them side by side (volume matched), you must be deaf to not immediately realise those differences. The question is, whether you categorise them as „better“ or „worse“ or just as „different“. Some reviewers wrote the SG1 is „several classes above the BTR 7 and even DAP level“ in terms of SQ. I honestly don`t think so but would rather say that really depends on how you define the term „sound quality“. From a pure technical standpoint, me, I don’t hear anything that the SG1 does technically better than the BTR7. To me, „technical“ means for example, higher resolution that lets me hear details that I don’t hear with other devices. I don’t think that this is the case here. They are both fine! And „BT device that sounds better than wired (eg. DAP)“? Well, in case of the BTR7, I think I can hear a very slight difference in details when using it in USB mode in comparison to the BT mode. But it is so small that I mostly use it in BT mode, just for convenience. So does the SG1 in BT mode (it can only do that) sound better than the BTR7 in wired mode? Technically, I don`t think so - I think BTR7 connected via USB extends slightly better than the SG1. But….the key word is tonality. When you love the way how the SG1 sounds (warm, full and dynamic), you would still perceive it as „better“, even though the BTR7 shows slightly better details. Also, what we perceive as „better“ has to do a lot with getting used to something. As written above, listening to the SG1 for the very first time let me think that treble was a bit recessed. But now, after listening to it for about a month, I perceive the BTR7 treble as almost too sharp and the SG1 just right. Welcome to the world of brain burn in!
Personal conclusion: I think there are two different types of audiophiles: The ones that search for a highly technical uncolored sound and the ones that look for emotions, both in terms of sound and also product design. The SG1 definitely appeals to the second type of people - including myself - and it is a very consequent and great product in this regard! It adds some tasty salt and pepper to your music enjoyment - quite literally and in several ways! And that`s rare with BT devices! For me it is a keeper and I enjoy listening and using it very much!
You are right to view these products from the perspective of keeping distance!
I am not a technology enthusiast, but for music, diversity is right. If all the audio gears are the same, the world will become monochromatic. I am an early user of Prelude DTR1and I like this DAP very much. The products from DETHONRAY have their own characteristics of emotion and timbre, rather than the neutral and clear route. So I became a fan of them. lol.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #214 of 699
Thanks @BladeRose.

I do a lot of listening to music in bed, and I found it better to "clothe" the Pegasus SG1 because of the sharp edges. I pulled out my leather kit.

The piece of leather I chose to use had blemishes (parts of it were not unfolded before spraying the leather green) hence the greyish areas. I decided to incorporate the blemishes.

Obviously with so many essentials at the top (volume wheel, and sockets) I kept the top open.

Screenshot_20230221-171958_Gallery.jpg
I needed access to the buttons on the side, so I had to either leave them open or perforate them. I decided to go for a part open side, hence the "bat wing" on side with the buttons.

Screenshot_20230221-171942_Gallery.jpg

The "bat wing" had to be out of the way most of the time, so it had to be big enough to wrap around, this was also to keep the piece of leather in its natural shape and the front uncluttered, rather than cut endlessly. Once wrapped up it had to be secure yet easy to unwrap, hence buttons.

20230221_171537.jpg

As with the BTR7, I felt the need to be able to clip the device to a bag (rather than put it away in a bag) or hang it round my neck when travelling, to ensure a good connection, hence the ring. The bag handle came with a bag I do not carry around, so I put it to use here.

That was the story of the making of the "bat case"
Cool! I got a red case from DETHONRAY Aliexpress store. Good workmanship and quality!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...m=5261.ProductManageOnline.0.0.36a44edfZL3HUP

20230226153734.jpg

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #215 of 699
+1 on the case, it's very nice.

Also upgraded GO blu to Gryphon recently, Gryphon is complimentary to my SG1 with its different neutral-warm signature.

Thick-sounding Drop+JVC HA-FWX1 have better synergy with SG1 Gold.

20230228_083406.jpg

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #216 of 699
It's crazy. Harmonic Dyne, at 12 o'clock. The sound is full and powerful. The dynamic performance is very good,The low frequency is fast and has a sense of energy and treble has a metal texture. It's not like portable performance at all. In fact, I can accept a larger size. The current battery life is a little short, only 4 hours. My expectation is 6 hours. But the sound quality is too good to ignore this small problem because I can use it with USB at home.

630230302194346.jpg

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #218 of 699
It's crazy. Harmonic Dyne, at 12 o'clock. The sound is full and powerful. The dynamic performance is very good,The low frequency is fast and has a sense of energy and treble has a metal texture. It's not like portable performance at all. In fact, I can accept a larger size. The current battery life is a little short, only 4 hours. My expectation is 6 hours. But the sound quality is too good to ignore this small problem because I can use it with USB at home.

630230302194346.jpg

I agree with you 100% regarding battery life. Definitely could be better, but not a deal breaker for me either.

I messaged Anson about firmware for Gold and turns out firmware on Gold is special edition and not regular edition. He said it's OK to try regular firmware but apparently "timbre and output" won't be great. He kindly sent over Gold firmware in case I wanted to try regular firmware anyway and flash back to Gold firmware. I might try that later, for now I'm enjoying very much the sound as is.

Mar 5, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #220 of 699
I agree with you 100% regarding battery life. Definitely could be better, but not a deal breaker for me either.

I messaged Anson about firmware for Gold and turns out firmware on Gold is special edition and not regular edition. He said it's OK to try regular firmware but apparently "timbre and output" won't be great. He kindly sent over Gold firmware in case I wanted to try regular firmware anyway and flash back to Gold firmware. I might try that later, for now I'm enjoying very much the sound as is.
I like the timbre and output and will try other sources later. And I find sound quality and other performace are different with different sources. My sunsung mobile phone is the best source when working in AptxHD, even better than iphone13, SONY WM1A. At first, I thought SONY WM1A would work BETTER in LDAC mode, but in the actual test, if it is moving or at a distance of more than one meter, sumsung is more stable and has better details.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #221 of 699
I like the timbre and output and will try other sources later. And I find sound quality and other performace are different with different sources. My sunsung mobile phone is the best source when working in AptxHD, even better than iphone13, SONY WM1A. At first, I thought SONY WM1A would work BETTER in LDAC mode, but in the actual test, if it is moving or at a distance of more than one meter, sumsung is more stable and has better details.

I have a good recommendation to use SENNHEISER's Bluetooth USB dongle, BTD 600.
So far, in the Windows OS, iPad, Mac OS, iPhone camera Kit, Aptx has greatly improved the sound quality.

1678095052245.png

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #222 of 699
Interesting that you guys prefer Aptx and Aptx HD over LDAC. Technically, LDAC is superior as it can transmit audio at up to 990 Kbps, about double what Aptx HD/Adaptive can do. I usually use LDAC and various Samsung phones/tablets as sources for my bt amps. I don't hear a difference between different sources using the same codec unless there's sound processing applied. I will try Aptx HD (and LDAC) through my ZX707 dap later.

On related note, I noticed when Dolby Atmos is ON on my Samsung source, sound quality is severely degraded. With my tws iems, Atmos improves sound quality but it's the complete opposite case with the Pegasus.

@BladeRose BTD600 supports Aptx and Aptx Adaptive but unfortunately Pegasus doesn't support Aptx Adaptive. I would recommend for you to check out KB9P dongle from Aliexpress. It's affordable and is capable of streaming Aptx HD as well as various other codecs. More info in this thread.

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #223 of 699
Interesting that you guys prefer Aptx and Aptx HD over LDAC. Technically, LDAC is superior as it can transmit audio at up to 990 Kbps, about double what Aptx HD/Adaptive can do. I usually use LDAC and various Samsung phones/tablets as sources for my bt amps. I don't hear a difference between different sources using the same codec unless there's sound processing applied. I will try Aptx HD (and LDAC) through my ZX707 dap later.

On related note, I noticed when Dolby Atmos is ON on my Samsung source, sound quality is severely degraded. With my tws iems, Atmos improves sound quality but it's the complete opposite case with the Pegasus.

@BladeRose BTD600 supports Aptx and Aptx Adaptive but unfortunately Pegasus doesn't support Aptx Adaptive. I would recommend for you to check out KB9P dongle from Aliexpress. It's affordable and is capable of streaming Aptx HD as well as various other codecs. More info in this thread.

Totally agree with you. The bit rate of LDAC could reach 990K, but it is very sensitive to the distance. My use scenario needs to move constantly, so the effect is not good. I have dongle that can support Aptx HD. The effect is obviously better than LDAC(with Phone), but the size is inconvenient to use with mobile phone.

1678179366754.png

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #224 of 699
I have a good recommendation to use SENNHEISER's Bluetooth USB dongle, BTD 600.
So far, in the Windows OS, iPad, Mac OS, iPhone camera Kit, Aptx has greatly improved the sound quality.

1678095052245.png
Look very nice! How about this dongle connecting to TV? Most TV USB slot is on the back. If it is on the back, will the signal be blocked? Or is this dongle good enough not to be affected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back