Dethonray Listening M1 - Compact desktop DAC/Amp Discussion + Impression thread
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #76 of 97
I've waited for a while before posting my impressions as I had been listening to a black sample M1 from Dethonray since around Christmas before receiving my silver unit a few weeks ago. During these months there have been several firmware updates that brought improvements and bug fixes so I feel it would be best to wait a bit until the firmware side reaches a relatively stable state. As a long-term Dethonray user who owns everything from the DTR1 to the H1, two versions of the SG1 and now the M1, I've always admired the efforts that Mr. Anson Tse, founder of Dethonray, puts into listening to feedback from the user community and consistently updating firmware for all the products, past and present. This type of continuous customer support is really how a relatively new brand in the Hi-Fi world earns the confidence and trust of the audiophile community. I also feel that competence in developing and improving software/firmware is crucial in today's market while having expertise only in the analog domain and having to outsource software development to third-parties is simply not going to cut it.

Now back to the M1. As a compact desktop DAC/headphone amp unit, this is the first non-portable Dethonray product that I've owned. As far as I know, the only other product is the Listening T1 desktop tube amp but I don't think many units were produced. The M1 could easily be moved around in the home but it requires a power supply unit so unless you use some kind of external power bank with a 24V output you wouldn't be able to bring it with you everywhere. What we lose in portability we gain in superb sound fidelity and ample power to drive most if not all type of headphones, not to mention IEMs. In the past few months I've been using the M1 as my main DAC/headphone amp (and occasionally as a DAC outputting to other desktop amps that I use) and I can confidently say it's a reference quality product that will let your good headphones / IEMs shine or even breathe new life into headphones that previously you thought were somewhat flawed. As a brief self introduction, I'm an avid classical music lover who also loves classic rock and jazz. I've been into headphones for slightly more than two decades now. I use my gear to listen to music ranging from solo instrumental to chamber music to symphonic and opera, as well as Miles Davis and Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, among others. I own many headphones and would pick them based on the music type or the environment but I currently only consider two of them my absolute references: The Focal Utopia (the original one) and the HiFiMAN Susvara. Other headphones in my rotation include MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, HiFiMAN R1 Planar, Fostex TH900, AKG K872 and Sennheiser HD600. There are several Bluetooth headphones that I won't mention here. I don't use IEMs as often although I own and like the JVC HA-FW10000, Dunu DK4001, Dethonray Tender 1 and LH Oscar XXI. For the M1 I mostly use my MacBook Pro running Audirvana playing music files from my NAS or streaming from Qobuz, a Chord USB-A to USB-B cable is used to connect the computer to the M1's USB-B port (a USB-C to A adapter is also necessary as the MacBook Pro only has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports). As an alternative audio transport, a portable Tempotec V3-D digital transport also proves to be a good combination.

Before getting into sound, let me just say that the M1 is just simply an exquisitely built device. The all metal chassis has a beautiful finish and the design is simplistic with minimal controls on the front panel. Due to limited internal space, the M1 only has 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced headphone outputs. So I have to use adapters for some of my headphones that only have 6.35mm or XLR connectors. Besides the volume knob and the input selection button, there's a gain switch on the front panel which along with two of the three DIP switches in the back, are all you need to customize the power output and timbre modes of the M1. For my listening, I left the headphone/IEM DIP mostly in the default headphone position as I don't own any ultra-sensitive IEMs. I found that using the default position with low gain works well enough for most of the IEMs that I use, except for the power-hungry Dethonray Tender 1 whose planar drivers require a high gain setting. The other DIP switch is for switching timbre modes, which according to Dethonray, defaults to "Reference" mode and can be switched to "Direct" mode. Honestly speaking I don't quite understand what these two words mean exactly but from my own experience matching numerous headphones and IEMs, I think I can summarize it like this: If your headphones already have pretty good high frequency extension you might find the Direct mode to provide a more balanced sound signature across the whole frequency range, with slightly more solid mids and bass foundation. If your headphones lack a bit of air or bite at the top end, the default Reference mode would be more fitting. I've always felt my MrSpeakers Ether C Flow to be a little bit dull on the top but the M1 in Reference mode gives me a very pleasant surprise, with a very lively and full-bodied sound that I haven't heard with other amps I've tried with this headphone. The HiFiMAN R10 Planar also benefited from the M1 and filled that gap on the treble end. The Focal Utopia, on the other hand, sounds just sublime in either mode even under low gain (using a Stefan AudioArt Endorphin balanced cable), although I tend to use high gain at a lower volume to get an overall slightly fuller-bodied sound. I tried switching back and force between the two timbre modes with the Utopia and find myself settling in Direct mode more often when listening to large-scale orchestral works. But you won't go wrong with either mode, the Utopia/M1 combination is simply reference quality with everything falling in the right places.

The M1 doesn't just get frequency response or dynamic range or transient right, the heart of its strength is that it delivers music with lively emotions that moves you. As music lovers, we are sometimes left cold by audio components that get most technical aspects right but are on the analytical side of things. Not the M1. I feel that the M1 has continued on with that irresistible lively soul of the DTR1, Dethonray's very first product that got me hooked, yet improved greatly on sound stage, instrument separation, micro details and overall authority. It comes as no surprise because the M1 is a compact desktop size device with external power but I have to applaud Dethonray for an ambitious, compact device that achieves great results in both technicality and musicality departments. We often see an audio product that advertises its superb specs on paper but comes up short in delivering a musical experience, or a product that has a beautiful sound but is too flawed in certain aspects to be of reference quality. I am not saying one of these is better or worse than the other but the M1 is neither of those.

The M1 also inherits all the great Bluetooth features from Dethonray's SG1 (in my opinion the best-sounding compact Bluetooth DAC/headphone amp) so it supports most major codecs from AAC to the aptX family to LDAC. Compared with the SG1 of course the signal reception is more solid thanks to a much larger external antenna that can be screwed on the back of the M1.

So what about the HiFiMAN Susvara? Can the M1 provide enough stamina to drive these notoriously power-hungry planar behemoth to my satisfaction? Well the answer is yes and no. At high gain mode, the M1 can drive the Susvara (using balanced cable) to sufficient volume with the volume knob at around 2-3PM location, depending on the recorded level of the source music. However, I wouldn't say the Susvara sounds authoritative enough compared with the sound I get from other (much larger and heavier) desktop amps. It's overall a good sound but just a tad lightweight when playing larger scale symphonic music. So if your main purpose is to be able to push your Susvara to the limit, the M1 is probably not the best choice for you. But on the other hand, I consider the Susvara quite the anomaly among high-end headphones. When matched with huge amps sometimes cost several times the price of the Susvara, it can sound fantastic and be one of the end-game components but how many people can afford to do that?

Overall, I think the Dethonray M1 knocks it out of the park at the sub-$3000 price range. It's a Swiss Army Knife type of component that easily pairs with your digital source, computer, tablet or smartphone yet it's able to do justice to your precious headphones and IEMs. In fact, the M1 is likely able to get every ounce of potential out of them and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I for one have been acting like a kid in the candy store in the past few months, taking out every one of my headphones and IEMs (including some that had been collecting dust) to pair with the M1 and got a smile almost every single time. If this is not fun I don't know what is. :)

Last but not least, here are some photos with the M1 paired with some of my headphones.

Happy Listening (M1)!

Great!!! I have also tried using some desktop setups to drive my Beyerdynamic headphones, but most of them have overly bright high frequencies. However, when paired with the M1, the sound is very well-balanced. I am planning to upgrade my headphones, and currently, I have the DT770 Pro and T70, these types of sound suit my taste.I noticed that you are using the Utopia and your reviews are highly positive. I would like to know if there is any issue with the high frequencies being aggressive when paired with the M1 and Utopia?

1712578465434.png

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #77 of 97
Great!!! I have also tried using some desktop setups to drive my Beyerdynamic headphones, but most of them have overly bright high frequencies. However, when paired with the M1, the sound is very well-balanced. I am planning to upgrade my headphones, and currently, I have the DT770 Pro and T70, these types of sound suit my taste.I noticed that you are using the Utopia and your reviews are highly positive. I would like to know if there is any issue with the high frequencies being aggressive when paired with the M1 and Utopia?
Not at all. The M1 and Utopia pairing just sounds beautiful throughout the frequency range. The treble is a forte of the Utopia and it shines with the M1, with plenty of air and won't cause fatigue even in long listening sessions. In fact I can switch between both timbre modes (via DIP switch #3) and be happy with it either way.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #78 of 97
Nice to hear from a seasoned audiophile like you my friend. Yes it's magically rich-sounding. How's the heat dissipation for your unit?

I have tested it with both hard to drive and easy to drive headphones, IEMs, it gets warm, but not incredibly hot. It is about as warm as HIFIMAN Serenade or HIFIMAN EF600, colder than Aune s17 PRO or JDS Labs Element III Mk2 Boosted. I have around 20 to 24 C in the room, heat is not an issue

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #79 of 97
I have tested it with both hard to drive and easy to drive headphones, IEMs, it gets warm, but not incredibly hot. It is about as warm as HIFIMAN Serenade or HIFIMAN EF600, colder than Aune s17 PRO or JDS Labs Element III Mk2 Boosted. I have around 20 to 24 C in the room, heat is not an issue
How M1 compare against S17 Pro ?
Please give your impressions

Thanks

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #80 of 97
How M1 compare against S17 Pro ?
Please give your impressions

Thanks

Some similarities, including the warmer, smoother sound. M1 is more detailed, more dynamic and deeper, S17 PRO is smoother and warmer. Midrange tonality is really similar. both have a smooth treble. Both have a bassy bass. Bass is deeper and somewhat stronger on M1, more punch. Unit is smaller and does not have temp issues, which judging from the comments on my video review of S17 PRO is a problem with the aune

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #81 of 97
Nice to hear from a seasoned audiophile like you my friend. Yes it's magically rich-sounding. How's the heat dissipation for your unit?
I understand your concern about the heat dissipation issue, LOL...
The M1 itself has good temperature control, and the aluminum alloy casing has good heat dissipation performance. However, you must be careful not to place your phone or other things with poor heat dissipation on it, otherwise heat accumulation will occur quickly and it will definitely get hot. Because I once forgot to remove my phone, and after half an hour, the surface temperature rose rapidly.
By the way, firmware updates quickly, so try to use the latest firmware as improvements to details are continuously being made.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #82 of 97
Wow, I guess you'll make a detailed review for M1, and we are waiting for it. :beerchug:

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #83 of 97
Apr 15, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #84 of 97
Not at all. The M1 and Utopia pairing just sounds beautiful throughout the frequency range. The treble is a forte of the Utopia and it shines with the M1, with plenty of air and won't cause fatigue even in long listening sessions. In fact I can switch between both timbre modes (via DIP switch #3) and be happy with it either way.
Thanks! I will try it at the local store! Because I spend most of my time playing games, so I have some requirements for high frequency and positional details!

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #85 of 97
Probably our first full scale review from Europe for M1 is published by @Dobrescu George , link below

- https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...amplifier-beautiful-and-deep-music-sound.html
Great review! The timbre descriptions inside are very accurate, but when it comes to noise, in fact, I haven't heard any noise from any of my IEMs and headphones, even when they are in a stopped state. The background is very clean. However, the M1 has excellent ability to present details, and some recording background noise can be heard.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #88 of 97
I must say the listening m1 form factor is a big plus in my opinion, saved up so much space when comparing to my last set up, while enhancing my overall audio experience, both with headphone and speaker.
IMG_9860.jpeg
After following with the instruction regarding the set up, especially adjusting the buffer size at the ASIO software, the sound is more energetic and crisp. I strongly advice all M1 to check with their setting and follow the instruction found at the official website.
The listening M1 is able to drive any headphone with ease, even the hd800 and T1 2nd gen.
I am currently using the Harmonicdyne G200, the large size planar magnetic headphone is not easy to drive well, but the listening M1 is doing a fine job, giving out lots of power, vocal slightly forward with a hint of warmth and sweetness.
Not fatigue to listen, feeling round and polish indeed.
IMG_9862.jpeg
But my biggest complaint is the lack of rubber feet, despite there is a slight edge on the side which also function as a feet, but this design is giving me OCD and I placed some 3M rubber feet at the bottom to ensure the perfect finish on the M1 will remain intact.
IMG_9863.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg
Thank you for providing such a thoughtful solution! I bought the 16*8mm, transparent ones, but 8mm is a bit high. It would be better at 6mm. These rubber feet can make the M1 stable on the desktop, preventing it from moving easily.

1713426229044.png

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #89 of 97
Even if the Listening M1 is not purely neutral in sound. But the balance and transparency of M1 made me choose this tiny box as my go-to source for testing and comparing Headphones and IEMs.

Two similar-priced products came to face each other today. Aune AR5000 is priced at $299 and Hifiman Deva Pro at $269.

1713427421777.png

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #90 of 97
Thank you for providing such a thoughtful solution! I bought the 16*8mm, transparent ones, but 8mm is a bit high. It would be better at 6mm. These rubber feet can make the M1 stable on the desktop, preventing it from moving easily.

1713426229044.png
Nice one. Came with glue or did you glued the feet to the metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back