Dethonray Listening M1 - Compact desktop DAC/Amp Discussion + Impression thread
Mar 20, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #61 of 97
Show me... hahahaha, realy I am curious.
H1 and M1 have similarities, they both have natural and warm timbre.
There are four highlights of M1:
1. The overall soundstage of M1 is noticeably wider than H1, so M1 performs more brilliantly in symphony.
2. The low-frequency texture of M1 is better, maintaining depth while having a faster low-frequency response, making the strength and rhythm of drums more pronounced.
3. The high-frequency of M1 has a metal feeling, with good extension control, but not sharp.
4. With the same headphones and albums, M1 has better detail representation, which many amps do not possess.

1710952162569.png

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #62 of 97
H1 and M1 have similarities, they both have natural and warm timbre.
There are four highlights of M1:
1. The overall soundstage of M1 is noticeably wider than H1, so M1 performs more brilliantly in symphony.
2. The low-frequency texture of M1 is better, maintaining depth while having a faster low-frequency response, making the strength and rhythm of drums more pronounced.
3. The high-frequency of M1 has a metal feeling, with good extension control, but not sharp.
4. With the same headphones and albums, M1 has better detail representation, which many amps do not possess.

1710952162569.png
The comparation that I've been waiting for, many thanks!

do you find Tender bass is better both in quality and quantity?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #64 of 97
I must say the listening m1 form factor is a big plus in my opinion, saved up so much space when comparing to my last set up, while enhancing my overall audio experience, both with headphone and speaker.
IMG_9860.jpeg
After following with the instruction regarding the set up, especially adjusting the buffer size at the ASIO software, the sound is more energetic and crisp. I strongly advice all M1 to check with their setting and follow the instruction found at the official website.
The listening M1 is able to drive any headphone with ease, even the hd800 and T1 2nd gen.
I am currently using the Harmonicdyne G200, the large size planar magnetic headphone is not easy to drive well, but the listening M1 is doing a fine job, giving out lots of power, vocal slightly forward with a hint of warmth and sweetness.
Not fatigue to listen, feeling round and polish indeed.
IMG_9862.jpeg
But my biggest complaint is the lack of rubber feet, despite there is a slight edge on the side which also function as a feet, but this design is giving me OCD and I placed some 3M rubber feet at the bottom to ensure the perfect finish on the M1 will remain intact.
IMG_9863.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg
Cool! Is there a link for 3M rubber feet? Thank you in advance!

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #66 of 97
Just got a new firmware from Anson today
Which has two version, Standard and ultraman
I heard the improvement of the new firmware is towards the refinement of volume increment when turning the volume knob
But what i was interested is the Ultraman firmware
As i want a bit more energy and power
In order to drive my Harmonicdyne G200 in a more vivid and lively manner
The ultraman version has successfully achieved what i hoped for
But it's definately not as refine and smooth as the standard version
Therefore it's more like Give and Take situation
You win some, and you lose some
It really depends on personal choice
If anyone is interested, You can contact Anson for the firmware through email

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #67 of 97
Yes, I'm aware of the Ultraman version and I got it too but didn't upgrade to it. Anson recommends never using IEMs with M1 + Ultraman in Headphones mode as I have a high collection of IEMs over Headphones hence refrain from using it.

Good to see your impressions of the firmware

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #68 of 97
Yes, I'm aware of the Ultraman version and I got it too but didn't upgrade to it. Anson recommends never using IEMs with M1 + Ultraman in Headphones mode as I have a high collection of IEMs over Headphones hence refrain from using it.

Good to see your impressions of the firmware
Well said, the ultraman firmware is too powerful for IEM
But i only pair M1 with hard to drive headphone
And use my DTR1 for the iem
Hence its not a big concern on my side

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #69 of 97
Well said, the ultraman firmware is too powerful for IEM
But i only pair M1 with hard to drive headphone
And use my DTR1 for the iem
Hence its not a big concern on my side
Tried ultra-man and rolled back to normal version. It's too powerful for most of my gears.
The volume knob adjustment is more accurate, and the response speed has also improved.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #70 of 97
I've waited for a while before posting my impressions as I had been listening to a black sample M1 from Dethonray since around Christmas before receiving my silver unit a few weeks ago. During these months there have been several firmware updates that brought improvements and bug fixes so I feel it would be best to wait a bit until the firmware side reaches a relatively stable state. As a long-term Dethonray user who owns everything from the DTR1 to the H1, two versions of the SG1 and now the M1, I've always admired the efforts that Mr. Anson Tse, founder of Dethonray, puts into listening to feedback from the user community and consistently updating firmware for all the products, past and present. This type of continuous customer support is really how a relatively new brand in the Hi-Fi world earns the confidence and trust of the audiophile community. I also feel that competence in developing and improving software/firmware is crucial in today's market while having expertise only in the analog domain and having to outsource software development to third-parties is simply not going to cut it.

Now back to the M1. As a compact desktop DAC/headphone amp unit, this is the first non-portable Dethonray product that I've owned. As far as I know, the only other product is the Listening T1 desktop tube amp but I don't think many units were produced. The M1 could easily be moved around in the home but it requires a power supply unit so unless you use some kind of external power bank with a 24V output you wouldn't be able to bring it with you everywhere. What we lose in portability we gain in superb sound fidelity and ample power to drive most if not all type of headphones, not to mention IEMs. In the past few months I've been using the M1 as my main DAC/headphone amp (and occasionally as a DAC outputting to other desktop amps that I use) and I can confidently say it's a reference quality product that will let your good headphones / IEMs shine or even breathe new life into headphones that previously you thought were somewhat flawed. As a brief self introduction, I'm an avid classical music lover who also loves classic rock and jazz. I've been into headphones for slightly more than two decades now. I use my gear to listen to music ranging from solo instrumental to chamber music to symphonic and opera, as well as Miles Davis and Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, among others. I own many headphones and would pick them based on the music type or the environment but I currently only consider two of them my absolute references: The Focal Utopia (the original one) and the HiFiMAN Susvara. Other headphones in my rotation include MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, HiFiMAN R1 Planar, Fostex TH900, AKG K872 and Sennheiser HD600. There are several Bluetooth headphones that I won't mention here. I don't use IEMs as often although I own and like the JVC HA-FW10000, Dunu DK4001, Dethonray Tender 1 and LH Oscar XXI. For the M1 I mostly use my MacBook Pro running Audirvana playing music files from my NAS or streaming from Qobuz, a Chord USB-A to USB-B cable is used to connect the computer to the M1's USB-B port (a USB-C to A adapter is also necessary as the MacBook Pro only has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports). As an alternative audio transport, a portable Tempotec V3-D digital transport also proves to be a good combination.

Before getting into sound, let me just say that the M1 is just simply an exquisitely built device. The all metal chassis has a beautiful finish and the design is simplistic with minimal controls on the front panel. Due to limited internal space, the M1 only has 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced headphone outputs. So I have to use adapters for some of my headphones that only have 6.35mm or XLR connectors. Besides the volume knob and the input selection button, there's a gain switch on the front panel which along with two of the three DIP switches in the back, are all you need to customize the power output and timbre modes of the M1. For my listening, I left the headphone/IEM DIP mostly in the default headphone position as I don't own any ultra-sensitive IEMs. I found that using the default position with low gain works well enough for most of the IEMs that I use, except for the power-hungry Dethonray Tender 1 whose planar drivers require a high gain setting. The other DIP switch is for switching timbre modes, which according to Dethonray, defaults to "Reference" mode and can be switched to "Direct" mode. Honestly speaking I don't quite understand what these two words mean exactly but from my own experience matching numerous headphones and IEMs, I think I can summarize it like this: If your headphones already have pretty good high frequency extension you might find the Direct mode to provide a more balanced sound signature across the whole frequency range, with slightly more solid mids and bass foundation. If your headphones lack a bit of air or bite at the top end, the default Reference mode would be more fitting. I've always felt my MrSpeakers Ether C Flow to be a little bit dull on the top but the M1 in Reference mode gives me a very pleasant surprise, with a very lively and full-bodied sound that I haven't heard with other amps I've tried with this headphone. The HiFiMAN R10 Planar also benefited from the M1 and filled that gap on the treble end. The Focal Utopia, on the other hand, sounds just sublime in either mode even under low gain (using a Stefan AudioArt Endorphin balanced cable), although I tend to use high gain at a lower volume to get an overall slightly fuller-bodied sound. I tried switching back and force between the two timbre modes with the Utopia and find myself settling in Direct mode more often when listening to large-scale orchestral works. But you won't go wrong with either mode, the Utopia/M1 combination is simply reference quality with everything falling in the right places.

The M1 doesn't just get frequency response or dynamic range or transient right, the heart of its strength is that it delivers music with lively emotions that moves you. As music lovers, we are sometimes left cold by audio components that get most technical aspects right but are on the analytical side of things. Not the M1. I feel that the M1 has continued on with that irresistible lively soul of the DTR1, Dethonray's very first product that got me hooked, yet improved greatly on sound stage, instrument separation, micro details and overall authority. It comes as no surprise because the M1 is a compact desktop size device with external power but I have to applaud Dethonray for an ambitious, compact device that achieves great results in both technicality and musicality departments. We often see an audio product that advertises its superb specs on paper but comes up short in delivering a musical experience, or a product that has a beautiful sound but is too flawed in certain aspects to be of reference quality. I am not saying one of these is better or worse than the other but the M1 is neither of those.

The M1 also inherits all the great Bluetooth features from Dethonray's SG1 (in my opinion the best-sounding compact Bluetooth DAC/headphone amp) so it supports most major codecs from AAC to the aptX family to LDAC. Compared with the SG1 of course the signal reception is more solid thanks to a much larger external antenna that can be screwed on the back of the M1.

So what about the HiFiMAN Susvara? Can the M1 provide enough stamina to drive these notoriously power-hungry planar behemoth to my satisfaction? Well the answer is yes and no. At high gain mode, the M1 can drive the Susvara (using balanced cable) to sufficient volume with the volume knob at around 2-3PM location, depending on the recorded level of the source music. However, I wouldn't say the Susvara sounds authoritative enough compared with the sound I get from other (much larger and heavier) desktop amps. It's overall a good sound but just a tad lightweight when playing larger scale symphonic music. So if your main purpose is to be able to push your Susvara to the limit, the M1 is probably not the best choice for you. But on the other hand, I consider the Susvara quite the anomaly among high-end headphones. When matched with huge amps sometimes cost several times the price of the Susvara, it can sound fantastic and be one of the end-game components but how many people can afford to do that?

Overall, I think the Dethonray M1 knocks it out of the park at the sub-$3000 price range. It's a Swiss Army Knife type of component that easily pairs with your digital source, computer, tablet or smartphone yet it's able to do justice to your precious headphones and IEMs. In fact, the M1 is likely able to get every ounce of potential out of them and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I for one have been acting like a kid in the candy store in the past few months, taking out every one of my headphones and IEMs (including some that had been collecting dust) to pair with the M1 and got a smile almost every single time. If this is not fun I don't know what is. :)

Last but not least, here are some photos with the M1 paired with some of my headphones.

Happy Listening (M1)!

Attachments

• Utopia.jpg
    Utopia.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • TH900.jpg
    TH900.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Ether_C_Flow.jpg
    Ether_C_Flow.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Susvara.jpg
    Susvara.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Susvara1.jpg
    Susvara1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • R10P.jpg
    R10P.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Utopia1.jpg
    Utopia1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #71 of 97
I've waited for a while before posting my impressions as I had been listening to a black sample M1 from Dethonray since around Christmas before receiving my silver unit a few weeks ago. During these months there have been several firmware updates that brought improvements and bug fixes so I feel it would be best to wait a bit until the firmware side reaches a relatively stable state. As a long-term Dethonray user who owns everything from the DTR1 to the H1, two versions of the SG1 and now the M1, I've always admired the efforts that Mr. Anson Tse, founder of Dethonray, puts into listening to feedback from the user community and consistently updating firmware for all the products, past and present. This type of continuous customer support is really how a relatively new brand in the Hi-Fi world earns the confidence and trust of the audiophile community. I also feel that competence in developing and improving software/firmware is crucial in today's market while having expertise only in the analog domain and having to outsource software development to third-parties is simply not going to cut it.

Now back to the M1. As a compact desktop DAC/headphone amp unit, this is the first non-portable Dethonray product that I've owned. As far as I know, the only other product is the Listening T1 desktop tube amp but I don't think many units were produced. The M1 could easily be moved around in the home but it requires a power supply unit so unless you use some kind of external power bank with a 24V output you wouldn't be able to bring it with you everywhere. What we lose in portability we gain in superb sound fidelity and ample power to drive most if not all type of headphones, not to mention IEMs. In the past few months I've been using the M1 as my main DAC/headphone amp (and occasionally as a DAC outputting to other desktop amps that I use) and I can confidently say it's a reference quality product that will let your good headphones / IEMs shine or even breathe new life into headphones that previously you thought were somewhat flawed. As a brief self introduction, I'm an avid classical music lover who also loves classic rock and jazz. I've been into headphones for slightly more than two decades now. I use my gear to listen to music ranging from solo instrumental to chamber music to symphonic and opera, as well as Miles Davis and Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, among others. I own many headphones and would pick them based on the music type or the environment but I currently only consider two of them my absolute references: The Focal Utopia (the original one) and the HiFiMAN Susvara. Other headphones in my rotation include MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, HiFiMAN R1 Planar, Fostex TH900, AKG K872 and Sennheiser HD600. There are several Bluetooth headphones that I won't mention here. I don't use IEMs as often although I own and like the JVC HA-FW10000, Dunu DK4001, Dethonray Tender 1 and LH Oscar XXI. For the M1 I mostly use my MacBook Pro running Audirvana playing music files from my NAS or streaming from Qobuz, a Chord USB-A to USB-B cable is used to connect the computer to the M1's USB-B port (a USB-C to A adapter is also necessary as the MacBook Pro only has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports). As an alternative audio transport, a portable Tempotec V3-D digital transport also proves to be a good combination.

Before getting into sound, let me just say that the M1 is just simply an exquisitely built device. The all metal chassis has a beautiful finish and the design is simplistic with minimal controls on the front panel. Due to limited internal space, the M1 only has 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced headphone outputs. So I have to use adapters for some of my headphones that only have 6.35mm or XLR connectors. Besides the volume knob and the input selection button, there's a gain switch on the front panel which along with two of the three DIP switches in the back, are all you need to customize the power output and timbre modes of the M1. For my listening, I left the headphone/IEM DIP mostly in the default headphone position as I don't own any ultra-sensitive IEMs. I found that using the default position with low gain works well enough for most of the IEMs that I use, except for the power-hungry Dethonray Tender 1 whose planar drivers require a high gain setting. The other DIP switch is for switching timbre modes, which according to Dethonray, defaults to "Reference" mode and can be switched to "Direct" mode. Honestly speaking I don't quite understand what these two words mean exactly but from my own experience matching numerous headphones and IEMs, I think I can summarize it like this: If your headphones already have pretty good high frequency extension you might find the Direct mode to provide a more balanced sound signature across the whole frequency range, with slightly more solid mids and bass foundation. If your headphones lack a bit of air or bite at the top end, the default Reference mode would be more fitting. I've always felt my MrSpeakers Ether C Flow to be a little bit dull on the top but the M1 in Reference mode gives me a very pleasant surprise, with a very lively and full-bodied sound that I haven't heard with other amps I've tried with this headphone. The HiFiMAN R10 Planar also benefited from the M1 and filled that gap on the treble end. The Focal Utopia, on the other hand, sounds just sublime in either mode even under low gain (using a Stefan AudioArt Endorphin balanced cable), although I tend to use high gain at a lower volume to get an overall slightly fuller-bodied sound. I tried switching back and force between the two timbre modes with the Utopia and find myself settling in Direct mode more often when listening to large-scale orchestral works. But you won't go wrong with either mode, the Utopia/M1 combination is simply reference quality with everything falling in the right places.

The M1 doesn't just get frequency response or dynamic range or transient right, the heart of its strength is that it delivers music with lively emotions that moves you. As music lovers, we are sometimes left cold by audio components that get most technical aspects right but are on the analytical side of things. Not the M1. I feel that the M1 has continued on with that irresistible lively soul of the DTR1, Dethonray's very first product that got me hooked, yet improved greatly on sound stage, instrument separation, micro details and overall authority. It comes as no surprise because the M1 is a compact desktop size device with external power but I have to applaud Dethonray for an ambitious, compact device that achieves great results in both technicality and musicality departments. We often see an audio product that advertises its superb specs on paper but comes up short in delivering a musical experience, or a product that has a beautiful sound but is too flawed in certain aspects to be of reference quality. I am not saying one of these is better or worse than the other but the M1 is neither of those.

The M1 also inherits all the great Bluetooth features from Dethonray's SG1 (in my opinion the best-sounding compact Bluetooth DAC/headphone amp) so it supports most major codecs from AAC to the aptX family to LDAC. Compared with the SG1 of course the signal reception is more solid thanks to a much larger external antenna that can be screwed on the back of the M1.

So what about the HiFiMAN Susvara? Can the M1 provide enough stamina to drive these notoriously power-hungry planar behemoth to my satisfaction? Well the answer is yes and no. At high gain mode, the M1 can drive the Susvara (using balanced cable) to sufficient volume with the volume knob at around 2-3PM location, depending on the recorded level of the source music. However, I wouldn't say the Susvara sounds authoritative enough compared with the sound I get from other (much larger and heavier) desktop amps. It's overall a good sound but just a tad lightweight when playing larger scale symphonic music. So if your main purpose is to be able to push your Susvara to the limit, the M1 is probably not the best choice for you. But on the other hand, I consider the Susvara quite the anomaly among high-end headphones. When matched with huge amps sometimes cost several times the price of the Susvara, it can sound fantastic and be one of the end-game components but how many people can afford to do that?

Overall, I think the Dethonray M1 knocks it out of the park at the sub-$3000 price range. It's a Swiss Army Knife type of component that easily pairs with your digital source, computer, tablet or smartphone yet it's able to do justice to your precious headphones and IEMs. In fact, the M1 is likely able to get every ounce of potential out of them and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I for one have been acting like a kid in the candy store in the past few months, taking out every one of my headphones and IEMs (including some that had been collecting dust) to pair with the M1 and got a smile almost every single time. If this is not fun I don't know what is. :)

Last but not least, here are some photos with the M1 paired with some of my headphones.

Happy Listening (M1)!
Brilliant review man..!!

Could you let me know what other Amps you heard with your Susvara? I haven't heard that phone but how the authoritative sound of Susvara differ compared to Listening M1's pairing?

Apr 1, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #72 of 97
Brilliant review man..!!

Could you let me know what other Amps you heard with your Susvara? I haven't heard that phone but how the authoritative sound of Susvara differ compared to Listening M1's pairing?
I have heard the Susvara (not necessarily my pair but sometimes at friends' places under good listening conditions and at audio shows under not-so-optimal conditions) driven by numerous amps from HiFiMAN's own EF1000 to the Viva Audio Egoista 845 to some custom-made hybrid amps. Like I mentioned in my original post the first two are priced at several times the price of the Susvara. I couldn't justify spending so much so I settled for a limited edition custom-made amp called KK2000 from a very reputable engineer based in Shenzhen, China. It's about four times the size of the M1. All I can say is for the Susvara to really shine you'll need an amp that has plenty of power reserve beyond just driving the Susvara at a level that's loud enough. The KK2000 amp that I use for the Susvara could do that at a volume level at approximately 40 out of 100 at high gain mode. With the M1 I will have to turn the volume up to the 2-3PM region to get a decent volume which is not too far from the maximum already. You get the idea.

Let me repeat: I do not expect every good or great headphone amp to be able to pair well with the Susvara and I certainly won't make my purchasing decision based solely on that.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #73 of 97
I have heard the Susvara (not necessarily my pair but sometimes at friends' places under good listening conditions and at audio shows under not-so-optimal conditions) driven by numerous amps from HiFiMAN's own EF1000 to the Viva Audio Egoista 845 to some custom-made hybrid amps. Like I mentioned in my original post the first two are priced at several times the price of the Susvara. I couldn't justify spending so much so I settled for a limited edition custom-made amp called KK2000 from a very reputable engineer based in Shenzhen, China. It's about four times the size of the M1. All I can say is for the Susvara to really shine you'll need an amp that has plenty of power reserve beyond just driving the Susvara at a level that's loud enough. The KK2000 amp that I use for the Susvara could do that at a volume level at approximately 40 out of 100 at high gain mode. With the M1 I will have to turn the volume up to the 2-3PM region to get a decent volume which is not too far from the maximum already. You get the idea.

Let me repeat: I do not expect every good or great headphone amp to be able to pair well with the Susvara and I certainly won't make my purchasing decision based solely on that.
Understood

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #75 of 97
I would say that Listening M1 sounds even better than it looks, can confirm the midrange is magically rich and smooth, deep and powerful bass, and superb transient response / dynamics!
Nice to hear from a seasoned audiophile like you my friend. Yes it's magically rich-sounding. How's the heat dissipation for your unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back