Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Mar 27, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #617 of 1,004
@F700 Purely out of curiosity, do you think there's any reason this cable would not work with your xDuoo X10T (using it's 3.5mm coax output) + H1 (using its USB-C input)? Again, I know such a cable solution isn't "needed" because there's plenty of USB-C to USB-C solutiuons out there; just curiosu what you think.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002100019102.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.126d2e0edlaIM4

03-27.png

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #618 of 1,004
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #619 of 1,004
It should related to host end and peripheral end. Most of the time, usb c act as host. If both ends are type c, the devices automatically determine which act as host.
I sometime use old phone that still use micro usb as source for H1. I cant directly use micro usb to type c cable (the cable work fine on type c phone and micro usb dac/amp), but have to use micro otg cable then usb a to usb c cable to force the phone act as host.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #620 of 1,004
Just got mine and charging it. The charging light was red and has now turned off. The manual says it should turn blue and then green when it’s fully charged. So I am confused — does the light off mean that it’s charged? Has this changed with firmware updates?

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #621 of 1,004
Just got mine and charging it. The charging light was red and has now turned off. The manual says it should turn blue and then green when it’s fully charged. So I am confused — does the light off mean that it’s charged? Has this changed with firmware updates?
I am on fw 3.3 and the light goes off when it’s fully charged.

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #622 of 1,004
Hello i new user here, i want to ask about procedure of upgrading firmware, i received this unit from my friend, he said he upgraded it to firmware 3.3, i want to tried ultraman firmware but i couldnot, the problem is listed below, i used windows 10, it seemed i couldnot follow the guide cause the driver refuse to be installed, but the device is detected on my pc already and can play the song fine

I followed the firmware upgrade procedure below

problem 3.jpg

problem 2.jpg

problem 1.jpg

Problem 4.jpg

Also i noticed that balance output is not having different volume than unbalance output in the same volume level/knob, is this considered normal ?

EDIT/UPDATE : Problem Solved, it seemed the port that used to upgrade as picture guid is using charging port, and now it's working fine, i did success updated to ultraman firmware.

Have another question, the 3.5mm port now cannot produce sound, is that normal in ultraman firmware ?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #623 of 1,004
Hello i new user here, i want to ask about procedure of upgrading firmware, i received this unit from my friend, he said he upgraded it to firmware 3.3, i want to tried ultraman firmware but i couldnot, the problem is listed below, i used windows 10, it seemed i couldnot follow the guide cause the driver refuse to be installed, but the device is detected on my pc already and can play the song fine

I followed the firmware upgrade procedure below

problem 3.jpg

problem 2.jpg

problem 1.jpg

Problem 4.jpg

Also i noticed that balance output is not having different volume than unbalance output in the same volume level/knob, is this considered normal ?

EDIT/UPDATE : Problem Solved, it seemed the port that used to upgrade as picture guid is using charging port, and now it's working fine, i did success updated to ultraman firmware.

Have another question, the 3.5mm port now cannot produce sound, is that normal in ultraman firmware ?

That's correct. The Ultraman firmware is strictly for harder to drive headphones and it blocks the 3.5mm out for better power delivery.

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #624 of 1,004
I’ll have this combo once my H1 arrives next week and will report back.
So I've had a few days with now with the H1 and the Focal Celestee. I should start by saying that I think the Celestee needs EQ to sound its best, particularly in the 1-4 kHz area -- after a reduction in the 1-2 kHz region and a big boost at 4 Hz, it really opens up, both in terms of tonality and soundstage. If you do that, the H1 further enhances the sound, making it rich, almost lush. If you don't want to EQ, however, the warm signature of the H1 does not help with the Celestee being a little muted in the treble and other DAC/amp combinations might be better. I found that combining the Celestee with the new LP W2 dongle (acting as DAC) and the iFi xCan amp provides a lot of flexibility for sound shaping without having to EQ the Celestee.

That said, with EQ, the H1 and the Celestee sound really good together and I'd probably choose the H1 over the other combo. I am finding that the H1 is enhancing the sound of all my headphones, but particularly the bright ones. I have the Austrian Hi-X55, which is a very detailed headphone but with a weird tonality and can sound really harsh for some songs; the H1 makes it sound much more pleasing while retaining the details and the soundstage. Quite remarkable little device, and very handy for mobile use -- thanks to having its own battery, the drain on my iPhone's battery is minimal (unlike the W2, which is a hog).

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #625 of 1,004
So I've had a few days with now with the H1 and the Focal Celestee. I should start by saying that I think the Celestee needs EQ to sound its best, particularly in the 1-4 kHz area -- after a reduction in the 1-2 kHz region and a big boost at 4 Hz, it really opens up, both in terms of tonality and soundstage. If you do that, the H1 further enhances the sound, making it rich, almost lush. If you don't want to EQ, however, the warm signature of the H1 does not help with the Celestee being a little muted in the treble and other DAC/amp combinations might be better. I found that combining the Celestee with the new LP W2 dongle (acting as DAC) and the iFi xCan amp provides a lot of flexibility for sound shaping without having to EQ the Celestee.

That said, with EQ, the H1 and the Celestee sound really good together and I'd probably choose the H1 over the other combo. I am finding that the H1 is enhancing the sound of all my headphones, but particularly the bright ones. I have the Austrian Hi-X55, which is a very detailed headphone but with a weird tonality and can sound really harsh for some songs; the H1 makes it sound much more pleasing while retaining the details and the soundstage. Quite remarkable little device, and very handy for mobile use -- thanks to having its own battery, the drain on my iPhone's battery is minimal (unlike the W2, which is a hog).
Please share the eq image you set, thanks

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #626 of 1,004
Please share the eq image you set, thanks
For listening with the Celestee and the H1 I am using Deezer on iOS. I’ve attached a screenshot of the built-in EQ (which you can modify to your needs), but it’s probably only of use to people using the same setup as the exact positions of the bands are unclear (but it's pretty effective nonetheless). If you have a regular fixed band EQ, I would just do -3dB for 1 and 2 kHz and +4dB for 4 kHz. For parametric EQ settings, see e.g. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-celestee-review-headphone.21917/

For the above PEQ settings, I decrease the 4 kHz band from 5 to 4 dB.

Attachments

• BF3A8D78-7AF7-44A2-9A42-AFB4190662BE.png
    BF3A8D78-7AF7-44A2-9A42-AFB4190662BE.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #627 of 1,004
Is anyone here able to do a full comparison of the different firmware options for the H1... I'm not technically savvy enough to know where to start with that.

I have a variety of headphones that range from easy to very hard to drive. This makes it tempting for me to go with the Ultraman firmware but I worry that doing so would make pairing the H1 with sensitive headphones impossible (or at least, a bad idea).

The main question is, how much more powerful does the Ultraman firmware make the 4.4 output in comparison to the 2.0 and 3.3 firmware options?

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #628 of 1,004
Is anyone here able to do a full comparison of the different firmware options for the H1... I'm not technically savvy enough to know where to start with that.

I have a variety of headphones that range from easy to very hard to drive. This makes it tempting for me to go with the Ultraman firmware but I worry that doing so would make pairing the H1 with sensitive headphones impossible (or at least, a bad idea).

The main question is, how much more powerful does the Ultraman firmware make the 4.4 output in comparison to the 2.0 and 3.3 firmware options?
I haven't put a db meter to it yet, or tried a bunch of different sources, but it seems like there's a fair difference between the normal and ultra fw (basing this off of recollection mostly). Using the 4.4 connector, on a set of aeon 2 noire I can just about max the volume and it will be very loud on the normal fw, but not unbearable (definitely too much for listening, though). The same with the ultra fw, anything past 60-70% is way too much for me; like, stupidly loud. For comparison, normal fw drives my Focal Clears to 'way too much' very easily, and same with my blessing2dusk.

Also, to update the imbalance/power issues I had on the first unit I received, Dethonray was super responsive. I have a new unit in hand and am putting it through the paces, but all seems well. This thing sounds effing great.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #629 of 1,004
Does anybody else have a point on the volume pot at high gain where the volume increases suddenly? This doesn’t happen for low gain; I have the latest firmware. I know the volume increases suddenly when the knob is moved after going from low to high gain, but this is not what I am talking about.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #630 of 1,004
iFi xCan amp provides a lot of flexibility for sound shaping without having to EQ the Celestee.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll only mention here that xCAN is fully balanced internally, so to get the very best out of this product it should get a balanced signal :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back