Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Feb 22, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #497 of 1,004
Is battery somehow protected when connected to the AC all the time and using as desktop solution?
Or is it draining and charging the battery continuously (and wearing it down) ?

Looking for TOTL "transportable" desktop solution (90% desktop/ 10% portable),
but all portable dac/amp-s does that so I would probably kill the battery very soon :frowning2:

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #498 of 1,004
New UltraMan firmware available (february 2021) , just saw a post at instagram.com/dethonray/

dethonray insta for headfi.PNG

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #499 of 1,004
Just received from Anson,

The firmware of V3.3 fixed the following bugs:

1. Support Sony(include other brands) DAP DOP/Native mode.

2. Change the volume curve in High/Low Gain mode, make it more smooth than before.

3. The status led change to blue when playback DSD file, other format is green.

4. The status led is blue instead of turn off after boot up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19BCocomZFIsLDe8mYlOCpmwUDLAiWW1O/view?usp=sharing

Haven't tried it yet tho .. DIWYOR

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #500 of 1,004

2. Change the volume curve in High/Low Gain mode, make it more smooth than before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19BCocomZFIsLDe8mYlOCpmwUDLAiWW1O/view?usp=sharing

Different procedure to upgrade to 3.x firmware?

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #501 of 1,004
Different procedure to upgrade to 3.x firmware?

Not very clear.

Which ones are the instructions to follow?

- Honey 1 9227-firmware-upgrade. V1.0 20210121.doc (new instructions) or
- Dethonray.Honey H1.BurnTool.En-V1.0.pdf (old instructions)
- Both, and if so, in which order?

Good to see a Quick Start Guide though…

@GloriousSound are you in the know :wink: ?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #502 of 1,004
upgraded to the Ultraman myself, without the SA9227 file

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #503 of 1,004
Not very clear.

Which ones are the instructions to follow?

- Honey 1 9227-firmware-upgrade. V1.0 20210121.doc (new instructions) or
- Dethonray.Honey H1.BurnTool.En-V1.0.pdf (old instructions)
- Both, and if so, in which order?

Good to see a Quick Start Guide though…

@GloriousSound are you in the know :wink: ?

I will try to write up a detailed step by step, But in short.

Upgrading to v 3.3 hex is identical to the process with v 2.0 . ( follow the PDF exactly / using the FlyMcu Tool ). So using the Power usb-c , after getting acces to the power usb-c port with the CH341SER application described in de PDF. ( SO use the old instruction for this)

This file/ folder " SA9227WriteEepromMP_20210118_v1p8p2_DETHONRAYHoneyH1_HDCVT_ONLY " is new and might be confusing. This upgrade works different and is only intended for the USB reciever chip.
( This upgrade works without FlyMcu , the tool for the other upgrade and needs to be connected to the data / signal usb-c port)

The V 3.3 hex is focussed on DSD, so if you are not using DSD files, you can stay with v2.0 for now.

I would wait with the "SA9227WriteEepromMP", from earlier talks with Anson I thought it would also need a newer Bravo HD / Savitech driver, but I need to check this first.

So if everything plays well, wait a couple of days with the upgrading. ( Must be hard for Head-fi guys with the upgrade virus:::relaxed::) )

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #504 of 1,004
The V 3.3 hex is focussed on DSD, so if you are not using DSD files, you can stay with v2.0 for now.

I would wait with the "SA9227WriteEepromMP", from earlier talks with Anson I thought it would also need a newer Bravo HD / Savitech driver, but I need to check this first.

So if everything plays well, wait a couple of days with the upgrading.

This is indeed key, thanks a LOT for the info.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #505 of 1,004
Updated to 3.3 while waiting for the SA9227WriteEepromMP.

Change to the volume curve in High/Low Gain mode is noticable but I wouldn't say it's smoother than before — quite the opposite (varies with tracks).

While it was somewhat smooth before, to my ears, it is now more stepped than it was before, e.g.

up up up up down down down (3.3) VS up-up-up-up-down-down-down (2.0)

…the dashes smoothing things out (not sure it makes sense) 😅

This is with the Aeon Noire, single ended, in High Gain via Audirvana and directly on Tidal.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #506 of 1,004
Updated to 3.3 while waiting for the SA9227WriteEepromMP.

Change to the volume curve in High/Low Gain mode is noticable but I wouldn't say it's smoother than before — quite the opposite (varies with tracks).

While it was somewhat smooth before, to my ears, it is not more stepped than it was before, e.g. up up up up down down down.

This is with the Aeon Noire, single ended, in High Gain via Audirvana and directly on Tidal.
Hey, great to see someone with the aeon noire. I was thinking of getting them. How do they pair with the h1? Is the se enough to power them or would they benifit with the balanced?

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #507 of 1,004
Hey, great to see someone with the aeon noire. I was thinking of getting them. How do they pair with the h1? Is the se enough to power them or would they benifit with the balanced?

'Still have to come across something which doesn't pair well with the H1.

'Love the Noire but with the original Aeon 2 pads — without them I would have sent them back to Dan Clark Audio straight away due to the mids being too recessed.

I use them single-ended on high gain and could destroy my ears if I wanted to so I don't see the point going balanced, I don't feel I'm missing anything even compared to my Schiit Vali 2 tube amp (also know that I'm not a fan of balanced, always found to be "too much" for me).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #508 of 1,004

Hi just finished flashing, my previous fw was 2.0 (18 Dec 2020)
Here is what i did, download then extract the file, bellow step is recommended by Anson. I am not a computer/software nerd :)
  1. go to folder Honey H1.Upgrade_Tool > Firmware > Honey3.x > SA9227WriteEepromMP_20210118_v1p8p2_DETHONRAYHoneyH1_HDCVT_ONLY
  2. Open word doc Honey 1 9227-firmware-upgrade. V1.0 20210121 > follow instruction
  3. click and run SA9227WriteEepromMP_20210118_v1p8p2_DETHONRAYHoneyH1_HDCVT_ONLY > wait until finished, see the word doc (number 2)
  4. Reboot the H1
  5. Continue with normal procedure & step of upgrading in Dethonray.Honey H1.BurnTool.En-V1.0.pdf
  6. Done
what I notice is The status led is blue instead of turn off after boot up, volume is now behaving normal. I am using Hiby R5 Sabre as transport, on 2.0, everytime file changed e.g: bith rate or depth, I need to adjust the vol knob a bit , otherwise no sound. Now jumping from flac to DSD is snappy as hell!, previously on 2.0 I need to plug and re plug the usb. DSD led is now Blue. No sound changes found, or my ears might not catch it LOL!
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #509 of 1,004
I am still waiting for confirmation of how the battery is protected when the device is plugged to the AC and fully charged.
Is power from AC bypassed to the system when battery is fully charged, or can this option be added to the next firmware?
Everybody praises the H1's sound and power, it would be very useful to add a "desktop mode" feature to it. Limiting battery charge to lets say 80% and bypass power from charger to the system.
Just add this and I'm in!

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #510 of 1,004
I am still waiting for confirmation of how the battery is protected when the device is plugged to the AC and fully charged.
Is power from AC bypassed to the system when battery is fully charged, or can this option be added to the next firmware?
Everybody praises the H1's sound and power, it would be very useful to add a "desktop mode" feature to it. Limiting battery charge to lets say 80% and bypass power from charger to the system.
Just add this and I'm in!
Could be an interesting feature indeed, the Sony ZX300 had it, liked that. Peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back