Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #482 of 1,004
Would you give some comparison between H1 & M8
How's the tonality, bass, mid & high between those two

TIA

H1 is more warm. More bass and less space on the H1, ie soundstage depleted a bit. M8 is a tank, feels like a tank in your hand. M8 software is absolute dog water, reason why I got rid of it. My apps kept crashing and it was so slow during navigation. My n6ii is much better for me personally.

I use the elysium. They tend to fare better (for me) with warmer sources. So the h1 was perfect - really toned down the highs and brought more emphasis on the lows. That’s about it.

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #483 of 1,004
What is the maximum DSD decoding on the H1?

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #484 of 1,004
H1 is more warm. More bass and less space on the H1, ie soundstage depleted a bit. M8 is a tank, feels like a tank in your hand. M8 software is absolute dog water, reason why I got rid of it. My apps kept crashing and it was so slow during navigation. My n6ii is much better for me personally.

I use the elysium. They tend to fare better (for me) with warmer sources. So the h1 was perfect - really toned down the highs and brought more emphasis on the lows. That’s about it.

The warm signature sounds close to the mojo. Would you describe the H1 as quite similar?

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #485 of 1,004
Hello everyone,
I recently got the Honey and wanted to share my impressions.
I compared with several DAP's: iBasso DX 220, 160, 120, Astel & Kern Ultima SP1000, 320, Mojo etc.
Mojo is more digital and sterile. Definitely a class lower. AK SP1000 is a bit brighter and more linear, but slowed down. The separation on Honey is better. From the sound signature, the closest is the AK 320. The iBasso's can't get to the Honey.
I even prefer the honey to the AK SP1000ss.
Hopefully I could help some.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #486 of 1,004
Hello everyone,
I recently got the Honey and wanted to share my impressions.
I compared with several DAP's: iBasso DX 220, 160, 120, Astel & Kern Ultima SP1000, 320, Mojo etc.
Mojo is more digital and sterile. Definitely a class lower. AK SP1000 is a bit brighter and more linear, but slowed down. The separation on Honey is better. From the sound signature, the closest is the AK 320. The iBasso's can't get to the Honey.
I even prefer the honey to the AK SP1000ss.
Hopefully I could help some.

Thanks so much! As the owner of an Ibasso Dx160, I am starting to think this is a certain upgrade. What about the Honey compared to the iDSD signature if anyone can help chime in?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #487 of 1,004
Ok, this is unfair now.
Unfair to desktop amps, unfair to portable amps.
I'm on my first 24 hours of owning this dac/amp. And i have already turned off my NFB 28.38 . It will not be needed anymore, not in the near future anyway.
Technical analysis is not my one of my strong suits, nor do I aim to be able to do that.
Enjoyment is what counts for me, and booooy do i ever enjoy this dac/amp.
More to the point, I am enjoying my headphones MORE, a lot more, than i do on the NFB 28.38. Is it more warm? yes. Is more powerful? Hard to say, which in itself is a grade A compliment, since the Honey can be used portable.
More than that, I am enjoying my music again. This was a thought that flashed through my mind. It felt like I was stuck in a loop, getting new cans and IEMs, trying to get that enjoyment back. But I'm pretty sure I could've saved myself a lot of money if the Honey was in my possession like 3 years ago.
That being said, I will keep the NFB 28.38 for now, for imaging/linear use, since i haven't made up my mind on that department yet, comparatively speaking.

Using the Ultraman, 4.4 only Firmware, the Honey drives the Aeolus(300 ohm) insanely well, to the point where I'm pretty sure that it could do so on LOW gain, on the stock 2.0 firmware. I dare not turn it up much beyond 2 o'clock, initialization is at like 11 o clock. Not knowing how far the volume wheel actually goes, since i like to keep my ears and cans intact, and i have little doubt it could blow out both, if turned up high enough.
It has a digital volume control, and i only have to move the volume control slightly beyond the point initialization (like volume 1 basicly), to where it gets loud enough for every day use. On a portable device.

This dac/amp tickles the inside of my ear. It happens on nearly every song, on nearly every headphone/iem. (Aeolus, HD58x, KPH30i Yaxi MMCX, Mangird Tea, Shuoer Tape Pro, Blon BL-03). Speaking of which, the KPH30I and Blon BL-03 scale remarkably well on the Honey. Honey+ BL-03 = bass cannon, without really drowning out much of the mids and highs.
It is a good tickle, like pleasure. It is weird, it is like more aggressive, yet more laid back as the same time. HOW?

Speaking of IEMs, and noise floors, i'm having a very hard time picking up any noise, even on the easiest to drive IEMs that I own, on high gain, on the Ultraman 4.4 FW, which is intended for high impedance headphones. For comparison's sake, if i try this on the NFB 28.38, I am required to use my IFI IEMatch.

Comparing the Honey to what i would consider the highest end portable dac/amp i've used so far, the FiiO Q5s, it is not even close. More power, more enjoyment, more soundstage, more detail.

Will this replace my Qudelix 5K for portable use? No. That little thing is too damn convenient. Its a tradeoff in sound i'm willing to make since i'm the kinda guy for which ''portable'' means working out. And not sitting still in a chair outside watching the sunset.

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #488 of 1,004
Ok, this is unfair now.
Unfair to desktop amps, unfair to portable amps.
I'm on my first 24 hours of owning this dac/amp. And i have already turned off my NFB 28.38 . It will not be needed anymore, not in the near future anyway.
Technical analysis is not my one of my strong suits, nor do I aim to be able to do that.
Enjoyment is what counts for me, and booooy do i ever enjoy this dac/amp.
More to the point, I am enjoying my headphones MORE, a lot more, than i do on the NFB 28.38. Is it more warm? yes. Is more powerful? Hard to say, which in itself is a grade A compliment, since the Honey can be used portable.
More than that, I am enjoying my music again. This was a thought that flashed through my mind. It felt like I was stuck in a loop, getting new cans and IEMs, trying to get that enjoyment back. But I'm pretty sure I could've saved myself a lot of money if the Honey was in my possession like 3 years ago.
That being said, I will keep the NFB 28.38 for now, for imaging/linear use, since i haven't made up my mind on that department yet, comparatively speaking.

Using the Ultraman, 4.4 only Firmware, the Honey drives the Aeolus(300 ohm) insanely well, to the point where I'm pretty sure that it could do so on LOW gain, on the stock 2.0 firmware. I dare not turn it up much beyond 2 o'clock, initialization is at like 11 o clock. Not knowing how far the volume wheel actually goes, since i like to keep my ears and cans intact, and i have little doubt it could blow out both, if turned up high enough.
It has a digital volume control, and i only have to move the volume control slightly beyond the point initialization (like volume 1 basicly), to where it gets loud enough for every day use. On a portable device.

This dac/amp tickles the inside of my ear. It happens on nearly every song, on nearly every headphone/iem. (Aeolus, HD58x, KPH30i Yaxi MMCX, Mangird Tea, Shuoer Tape Pro, Blon BL-03). Speaking of which, the KPH30I and Blon BL-03 scale remarkably well on the Honey. Honey+ BL-03 = bass cannon, without really drowning out much of the mids and highs.
It is a good tickle, like pleasure. It is weird, it is like more aggressive, yet more laid back as the same time. HOW?

Speaking of IEMs, and noise floors, i'm having a very hard time picking up any noise, even on the easiest to drive IEMs that I own, on high gain, on the Ultraman 4.4 FW, which is intended for high impedance headphones. For comparison's sake, if i try this on the NFB 28.38, I am required to use my IFI IEMatch.

Comparing the Honey to what i would consider the highest end portable dac/amp i've used so far, the FiiO Q5s, it is not even close. More power, more enjoyment, more soundstage, more detail.

Will this replace my Qudelix 5K for portable use? No. That little thing is too damn convenient. Its a tradeoff in sound i'm willing to make since i'm the kinda guy for which ''portable'' means working out. And not sitting still in a chair outside watching the sunset.

Enthusiast return, thanks for your detailled impressions. Enjoy your H1

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #490 of 1,004
No, more warm than mojo. Was never a fan at all of Mojo, I liked the Hugo 2 though. But between Hugo 2 and honey h1... welll... I sold my Hugo 2.. lol.
19.jpg

8.jpg

I sold my PAW Gold Touch Ti! Why not? The same DAC, H1 can drive planar IEMS and headphone well. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back