Denon headphones.
Feb 8, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 62
Denon D2000, hands down

running the AKG K701 unamped is like chugging a gallon of milk, some people might be able to stand it, but nobody really enjoys the process

whats your source in all of this? as that matters greatly as well (for example "hi I'm using the POS onboard sound on my computer into some headphones, what should I buy", my suggestion will be "save your money, keep the 555's")

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D2000, hands down

running the AKG K701 unamped is like chugging a gallon of milk, some people might be able to stand it, but nobody really enjoys the process

whats your source in all of this? as that matters greatly as well (for example "hi I'm using the POS onboard sound on my computer into some headphones, what should I buy", my suggestion will be "save your money, keep the 555's")

No, I use an m audio sound card.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #19 of 62
which m-audio soundcard?

and thats a piece of the source chain, not the entire thing

what do you playback from it? poorly transcoded mp3s or lossless files?

either of the 'phones you've listed will be pretty dead and lifeless from a soundcard, especially most of the M-Audio's I've heard, the K701's moreso, the D2000's might be liveable, but they do require amplification (just because they're low impedance and high sensitivity doesn't mean they're golden, it actually means that everything gets through, so you need good amplification for the reason of control and restraint, instead of power and freedom)

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbilly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think the D2000 has really great sound

well thats an amazing contribution
popcorn.gif

care to expand it into the realm of a complete thought?
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

which m-audio soundcard?

and thats a piece of the source chain, not the entire thing

what do you playback from it? poorly transcoded mp3s or lossless files?

either of the 'phones you've listed will be pretty dead and lifeless from a soundcard, especially most of the M-Audio's I've heard, the K701's moreso, the D2000's might be liveable, but they do require amplification (just because they're low impedance and high sensitivity doesn't mean they're golden, it actually means that everything gets through, so you need good amplification for the reason of control and restraint, instead of power and freedom)

It's the revolution 5.1.

I play lossless files from it, it's a pretty good sound card.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #23 of 62
good mid-level source, with an amplifier you'd be golden for the D2k's, and maybe a bit lacking on the source end for the K701's (we're talking "this is less than ideal, however nobody would really notice unless you had something a lot more expensive to compare it with, so who cares, but its worth mentioning since you haven't bought anything yet")

look at the D2k's and a good amplifier instead of the D5k's and no amp, Firestone audio has some good boxes, so does CI Audio, Woo Audio, Little Dot, and perhaps Musical Fidelity (haven't toyed with their new V series (or whatever its called, its right under the small X series))

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #25 of 62
buying the Denon's with woody cups, headphile will do custom work, and I'm sure theres others

honestly I would not buy the D2000's with plans of replacing the cups "to save money", thats wasteful (as you'll end up spending more than the new retail price of the D5000's)

seriously, I'd get yourself a good amplifier, as step one, and then re-evaluate a good pair of headphones, as step two, such as HD 600's, D2000's, or AKGs, but you really need to consider things like usage, for example gaming, or movies, or music, if music, what genres of music, what are your listening habits like? (a lot of extended sessions or not?) and so on

instead of just buying something because its expensive and flashy

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #27 of 62
your choice, your money, but I'm suggesting you do some homework on headphones that will actually compliment your listening needs, and get equipment that compliments other components in your system, having everything mesh together is a lot better than having something stick out like a sore thumb, D5000's off a Revolution 5.1 is "stick out like a sore thumb"

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

your choice, your money, but I'm suggesting you do some homework on headphones that will actually compliment your listening needs, and get equipment that compliments other components in your system, having everything mesh together is a lot better than having something stick out like a sore thumb, D5000's off a Revolution 5.1 is "stick out like a sore thumb"

Why would you need to amp a 25ohm headphone?

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impedence (ohm) is just small part of 'how hard to drive' question.

What are the other "parts"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back