Denon DVD 2910: A STEAL!
Apr 3, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 63
Mikey01:

Give it some time to get used to the sound and video from your Denon DVD 2910. I would recommend that you consider after market modifications to your stock unit by doing some research on specific mod shops; AudioAsylum is your best resource for information. After the Audioholics review of your unit, I could see how well it is designed and manufactured. It is an excellent platform upon which to do some serious modifications and I fully expect that the money invested will increase both audio/video performance enormously.

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #17 of 63
I don't doubt that it's possible that the 2910 could sound better, it just goes to show how updating the technology can can go a long way in a short time.

It's really amazing, considering the price differences for the models, it's basically saying the current 'budget' 2910 beats the original upscale 2900, but probably can't compete with the current upscale 3910 model which has even more advanced dacs (the PCM1796 I think).

Actually, the succession is most obvious from the chassis designs:

2200:
DenonDVD-2200-front.jpg

2769-photo-extra-3.jpg

is similar to the:

2910:
denon_dvd2910g.jpg

DVD2910_Int_TG.jpg

and now the bigger 2900:
Denon%20DVD-2900%20Gold.jpg

Denon2900Inside.jpg

is similar to the 3910:
01081ad873b16f544bc7c48242292f04.jpg

20050125_145943_DbYy.jpg

But it looks like the 2910 and 3910 have extremely similar interals, at least it seems like the power supply is similar, and the Digital & analog boards are pretty close (but obviously with different chips / circuits). However, the 2910 looks like it is using the same transport mechanism as the older 2200.

Anway.. I came across some complaints of the older 2200 models - with drive mechanisms not reading or not spinning after 6 to 12 months. That worries me if I'm going to invest in a major source like this.

It makes me wonder if this can explain all the refurbished 2910's on eBay, since it is common for companies to take back the failed products during warranty, fix them, and sell back as refurb'd models.

So, if we assume that is true - could all the refurbished ones on eBay be a symptom of on-going reliability issues with the 2910 model? Maybe the refurbished models could be more reliable in the long-run anyway because they have had some commonly bad component replaced? Makes me wonder because I am really tempted by the prices of those units out there.

Apr 3, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
...this is the universal DVD player to beat for under $1000 USD with no compromise Red Book CD performance either... As an audio player, it is significantly better in terms of Red Book CD
... I'm talking about impressive soundstage, imaging, PRAT, detail, and musicality.

Welly,
I heard the Denon 3910 in a friend's system where it replaced a Sony X707ES. I agree with you in that the things that come to mind are PRAT, detail and musicality.

PeAK

Apr 3, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 63
All of the Denon units are basically good but to get dynamics and detail and eliminate that awful compact disc digital sound they need a new clock and a zap filter.That sorry Op Amp output stage has got to go!

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 63
[/QUOTE]
So, if we assume that is true - could all the refurbished ones on eBay be a symptom of on-going reliability issues with the 2910 model? Maybe the refurbished models could be more reliable in the long-run anyway because they have had some commonly bad component replaced? Makes me wonder because I am really tempted by the prices of those units out there.[/QUOTE]

[size=medium]All the items you have shown here look as similar to one another as they do dissimilar, irregardless of which model is compaired to which. And I think it is wrong to assume anything, let alone twisted thinking about refurb's. You know what they say about assume. It makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me".[/size]
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #23 of 63
It is an absolutely wonderful DVD-player. I'm using it over the Bel Canto DAC 2 when listening to redbook CDs, but as mulveling mentioned he compared those two pieces of gear and barely noticed any difference between them. Considering how the DAC2 was 1000€ when I bought it, this unit sounds like a really good deal, especially when taking account the video features as well of course.

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #25 of 63
I have and I have to say that it is close in terms of component, composite, and S-Video output (analog). However, on digital HDMI, it really begins to open up in terms of resolution and visual differences. My ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi has a much more balanced tonal color that does not veer too much either in "redishness" or "green-ness." Human skin tones, especially for people of color, is my absolute "real world comparison" and that is where mine looks like real skin tones. Hues and color balance is perfectly natural looking. The Denon DVD 2910, however, tends to be a bit on the green side, but it is within acceptable tolerance levels for me considering its even lower street prices. Details, however, are finer with mine as you can pick apart individual strands of hair especially when actors get highlights professionally done: you can see a finer gradiation of highlighting colors and intensity clearer while the Denon DVD 2910 tends to mass these together as a more amorphous blob of colors. I swear to you that when I saw all three Lord of the Rings DVD-Videos (special collector's extended director's cuts versions) at 1080i through HDMI, I could see Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett's fine blue and purple veins underneath their smooth milky white skin colors on mine that was not revealed on the Denon DVD 2910.

For the money, especially at its street prices, it is a tremendous value. However, if you have upscale home theater equipment, the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi, NOT the Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi, is still the price : performance ratio leader for DVD-Video players. The Denon DVD 3910 is even better by a few margins.

At this time, I would NOT recommend you buy a standard definition DVD-Video player over $1,000 USD especially if you are even contemplating HD-DVD or SONY Blue-Ray technologies. Money is better spent on movies and a better HDTV.

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 63
As a 2910 owner, here are my impressions:

*Fantastic video
*Redbook playback - no where near as good as the Zhaolu 1.3 modded, or even my old Rotel
*SACD playback - almost as good as the above equipment in normal mode, BUT if you switch the 'Direct Source' setting to "All Off" (which turns off the video circuitry, the front LEDS and the digital out circuitry), the audio performance is taken to a new level and walks all over the performance in normal mode, yeilding great SACD performance.

*Also note that if the sound levels/distance processing is turned off inside the player (another Direct Source mode ? - I cant remember what its called - will check tonight) then SACD is played straight to analog from the DSD chip which is far better than if the processing is turned on. When levels/processing is turned on it alloows for adjustment for speaker placement etc but it resamples SACD DSD audio to standard xbit/ykhz PCM format losing the delicacy of the true DSD format. Very few of us will have equidistant speakers so this is not an option for multichannel sound, but it doesnt matter for stereo DSD SACDs which will only benefit from these featurees turned off.

*Additional note is about firmware revisions - there have been 13 revisions which have fixed many many issues with both video (including colorspace conversion and video detail) and audio. The latest is revision D which is highly recommended.

I love this player, and have only just realised its audio potential used with the 'Direct' options.

Also the DAC chips used in this model are the same as in the 3806 receiver so you get the same decoding quality, which can be sent to a cheaper receiver just using the analog ins (which is what I do). I think only the 3910 and the very top end Denon Receiver have a better DAC.

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
As a 2910 owner, here are my impressions:

*Fantastic video
*Redbook playback - no where near as good as the Zhaolu 1.3 modded, or even my old Rotel
*SACD playback - almost as good as the above equipment in normal mode, BUT if you switch the 'Direct Source' setting to "All Off" (which turns off the video circuitry, the front LEDS and the digital out circuitry), the audio performance is taken to a new level and walks all over the performance in normal mode. In fact the result of this is truly exceptional SACD performance.

*Also note that if the sound levels/distance processing is turned off inside the player (another Direct Source mode ? - I cant remember what its called - will check tonight) then SACD is played straight to analog from the DSD chip which is far better than if the processing is turned on. When levels/processing is turned on it alloows for adjustment for speaker placement etc but it resamples SACD DSD audio to standard xbit/ykhz PCM format losing the delicacy of the true DSD format. Very few of us will have equidistant speakers so this is not an option for multichannel sound, but it doesnt matter for stereo DSD SACDs which will only benefit from these featurees turned off.

*Additional note is about firmware revisions - there have been 13 revisions which have fixed many many issues with both video (including colorspace conversion and video detail) and audio. The latest is revision D which is highly recommended.

I love this player, and have only just realised its audio potential used with the 'Direct' options.

Also the DAC chips used in this model are the same as in the 3806 receiver so you get the same decoding quality, which can be sent to a cheaper receiver just using the analog ins (which is what I do). I think only the 3910 and the very top end Denon Receiver have a better DAC.

You mention turning stuff off for more optimum sound. In order to do this, do I have to have it connected to a TV screen in order to mess around with the functions? I am thinking about getting this but for only audio purposes, like DVD-A and SACD and I won't be using a TV with it.

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
You mention turning stuff off for more optimum sound. In order to do this, do I have to have it connected to a TV screen in order to mess around with the functions? I am thinking about getting this but for only audio purposes, like DVD-A and SACD and I won't be using a TV with it.

There are two sets of settings.

*The Source Direct button is on both the remote and front of unit. You will need a TV attached if you want to set up the two custom settings, but this only needs to be done once.

*The speaker distances and volumes also needs a TV to set it up for the first time. However to switch this off (for optimal stereo DSD) needs access to the menu via a display. I will look tonight to see if one can disable/enable it via the remote.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #29 of 63
I'll have the 2200 soon, and I'll comment on that
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #30 of 63
Welly Wu, thanks a lot for the info & starting this thread. I've been researching a new DVD player for my HT & the 2910 kept rising to the top of my list in terms of price/performance. Extremely helpful.

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back