Denon D7000 Review: The King of Fun
May 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #46 of 120
@ MorbidToaster

Nice review.  Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

I was impressed with your un-broken in D7000 at the Austin meet.  As you know, I bought an LCD-2 not too long afterwards.  Didn't like it.  The one at the meet sounded better to me, but with the front door open (LOL?), how could anyone get much of an accurate impression?  Aside from what I perceive as a dull high frequency problem on my unit, there is something about planars that I just can't make friends with.  Is it the texture, is it the attack?  I don't really know except that I've owned Maggie 3.6s and some of those things translate to the phones.  My friend's HE-5LE gave me the same feeling but the highs were more present.  So, for now, I'm still a dynamic driver person.  Last week, I jumped on a D7000 re-furb for $600 including s&h (before your good review) through Amazon.  Hope I haven't made a mistake.  Maybe they'll work just fine out of the box (not LOL).  Everybody's taste, ears, perception are different.  Maybe that's one reason there are so many cans on the market.  And, that's a good thing.  I hope you enjoy your HE-500.  

May 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #47 of 120
This is a very good headphone! i got the d5000..That sounds beautiful too..……i guess d7000 is on another level.

May 15, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #48 of 120

Quote:
The R10 definitely beats any headphone I have heard by a HUGE margin. I haven't heard the Audio Technica ATH-L3000 or the Orpheus headphones from Sennheiser but for now they are king of the roost in my books 
biggrin.gif

That description goes for the K-1000 for me. I thought R10 was the best closed headphone I heard, but it wasn't as mindblowing as the AKG earspeaker experience for me.

Like Mad Lust, I would always want a good closed one and a good open one ( + a Grado). As for closed, D7000 is good enough. I'd buy Edition 8 to see if I'd prefer it, if it weren't so ridiculously high priced.

As for open, I'm afraid my Audio GD C-2.1 solid state isn't enough to power HE-4-6 / 500. HD800 isn't my thing, probably buying T1 next.

Thanks for the nice read, OP!

May 15, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #49 of 120
I thought the k-1000 was mediocre with the exception of the soundstage, but I haven't had an extensive listening session with it.

Quote:
That description goes for the K-1000 for me. I thought R10 was the best closed headphone I heard, but it wasn't as mindblowing as the AKG earspeaker experience for me.

Like Mad Lust, I would always want a good closed one and a good open one ( + a Grado). As for closed, D7000 is good enough. I'd buy Edition 8 to see if I'd prefer it, if it weren't so ridiculously high priced.

As for open, I'm afraid my Audio GD C-2.1 solid state isn't enough to power HE-4-6 / 500. HD800 isn't my thing, probably buying T1 next.

Thanks for the nice read, OP!

May 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #50 of 120

Quote:
I thought the k-1000 was mediocre with the exception of the soundstage, but I haven't had an extensive listening session with it.

Both of them (R10 and K-1000) didn't get a very extensive listening. It was at meet conditions and not very long, plus my first meet. K-1000 was really something different, plus, maybe I expected too much from the R10.

I did listen to HD800's for a long time there, because those I'd seriously consider buying.

May 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #51 of 120
Headphones are so......subjective. I don't care for the k1000 at all. The r10's are definitely the best closed headphones I've ever listened to, but I have listened to quiet a few open back headphones I liked better. I was at a meet a while back and I took a pair of w1000 that I really didn't like, but I took them with me anyway. Eventhough I disliked them, there were a couple of people there who really liked them. I even sold them to one of them. That person had a pair of much cheaper headphones that I liked better but he bought mine. I said all of that to say this. It's not good to say one can is better than the other( really referring to cans in the same price range). What may be junk to one person could be gold to another. There's just too many people at headfi stating their opinion as fact. If there was a universal perfect sound, we wouldn't have hundreds of different headphone models. We all have an idea of what sounds right to us, and so does each headphone manufacturer. We just need to find the headphone designer whose idea of "the right sounds" correlates with ours.

May 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #53 of 120

Quote:
Headphones are so......subjective. I don't care for the k1000 at all. The r10's are definitely the best closed headphones I've ever listened to, but I have listened to quiet a few open back headphones I liked better. I was at a meet a while back and I took a pair of w1000 that I really didn't like, but I took them with me anyway. Eventhough I disliked them, there were a couple of people there who really liked them. I even sold them to one of them. That person had a pair of much cheaper headphones that I liked better but he bought mine. I said all of that to say this. It's not good to say one can is better than the other( really referring to cans in the same price range). What may be junk to one person could be gold to another. There's just too many people at headfi stating their opinion as fact. If there was a universal perfect sound, we wouldn't have hundreds of different headphone models. We all have an idea of what sounds right to us, and so does each headphone manufacturer. We just need to find the headphone designer whose idea of "the right sounds" correlates with ours.

Amen, my brother.

May 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #54 of 120
I think the D7000 will stay with me 'til I go deaf, and I'm hoping the HE-500 is the other one that'll stick with me. Then I can focus on amplification and sources...and then I can just sit back and listen. I'm eager to get there, but I want it to be perfect when I do. No settling!

Quote:

May 15, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #55 of 120

I don't think the journey ever ends 
biggrin.gif
. I got a good setup and now I'm thinking about tubes.
Quote:
I think the D7000 will stay with me 'til I go deaf, and I'm hoping the HE-500 is the other one that'll stick with me. Then I can focus on amplification and sources...and then I can just sit back and listen. I'm eager to get there, but I want it to be perfect when I do. No settling!

May 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #59 of 120
I'm excited about the Super 7. Lots of tubes on that one. It looks gorgeous. Then again, so does the Zana Deux...and the Woo amps...

I'm hoping to end up with a tube amp, a solid state, and a nice DAC for it all. Along with 2 pairs of headphones, and a decent little set of speakers. Of course a turntable and a decent CD player...

At that point I need to build the perfect set of shelves for it all. At that point...I think I'll be done with the occasional itch satisfied with a cheap vintage fixer-upper, or some tube rolling.

Quote:
Well I meant getting a tube amp as well. 

May 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #60 of 120
Nice review. More folks in the market for a new set of headphones will be well informed as to the option of the AH-D7000 cult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back