Denon D7000 Review: The King of Fun
May 14, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 120
Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I mostly meant that owning two good headphones with very different sounding signatures is better than owning two headphones that do the same exact things well. For example, I think owning one fun and one 'balanced' headphone makes more sense than just two fun or two balanced headphones.

I'll agree. Like the XB700 and AD700 for instance. If you have two that are too close in nature, I tend to start picking favorites and the other ends up getting no use.

May 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 120
I'll agree. Like the XB700 and AD700 for instance. If you have two that are too close in nature, I tend to start picking favorites and the other ends up getting no use.

Exactly. Two diferent flavors for different purposes. That way, they both get some good use, instead of relying on one over the other. People may have that sort of self control, but lots of us will choose faves and ignore other headphones we use. Kinda like when I had my DT990. Once I got my D7000 (which caters to the same genres), the DT990 was left behind, and eventually sold them. I then got the HD598 which was a good contrast to the D7000. From there I went with the HE4... and you know the rest.

May 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #18 of 120

Quote:

D7000
basshead.gif
+ HD800  
L3000.gif
  + RS1i
tongue.gif

May 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 120
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. Two diferent flavors for different purposes. That way, they both get some good use, instead of relying on one over the other. People may have that sort of self control, but lots of us will choose faves and ignore other headphones we use. Kinda like when I had my DT990. Once I got my D7000 (which caters to the same genres), the DT990 was left behind, and eventually sold them. I then got the HD598 which was a good contrast to the D7000. From there I went with the HE4... and you know the rest.

Yup, it's a bit different with me now though. I tend to use one headphone, and one headphone only. As of now, it's the HE-4, and no matter the genre, I use the HE-4 and am satisfied. That's why every other headphone I have right now is collecting dust as we speak. That is probably the biggest reason I want the HE-500, is because I have heard of it's very wide genre appeal.

May 14, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 120
Yeah. I mean, I would be more than happy to use the D7000 or the HE-4 for all purposes. I actually do. I really only use the HE-4 when the D7000 gets too hot, or whenever I feel like having the comfort of velour on my ears. I think they both do well in all genres, though they do have their particular strengths.

But if comfort/heat wasn't an issue, I'd pretty much just alternate by day or whenever I feel like having a little more or less bass. Like when I watch my TV shows or animes, I prefer the HE-4 for it's better mids, and the D7000 for movies for it's awesome theater sound. They do get equal time on my head, though the HE4 is regulated just to my PC use, while I might use the D7000 away from the computer due to it being a LOT easier to drive, and it sounds damn good off anything.

May 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 120
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Was pretty nervous about writing my first review. Tried my best to not ramble. :D

Quote:
Nice review. You will notice how recessed the mids are in comparison to the HE-500 you're getting. 
Regarding soundstage, the D7k's soundstage is small and comparable to the LCD-2. On the other hand, the HE-500 has a much more expansive and engaging soundstage.

Definitely what I was looking for in the HE 500. Looking super forward to it. I'm sure it will be my go to for almost anything that's not EDM.

Quote:
Great review Morbs. Have you ever compared them to the JVC HA-DX1000? or the ED-8's?

Sadly, no, I haven't gotten to compare it to much. I'd love to though. Send me some to compare them to! :wink:

Quote:
Cheese and sausage?  How do those stack up bass-wise?  
wink_face.gif

It makes it much, much more...tasty. lol The cheese muddies it up a little, but the sausage just makes them slam like a truck.

Quote:
For example, though the HE-4 is quite a bit more balanced than the D7000. When I wanna rock out, I use my D7000. When I wanna take listening just a bit more seriously, I use my HE4. I have a feeling Morbid will do the same with his two main cans as well. For me, they both get equal use.

This is the other thing I'm looking forward to. There are some times when I want to really just get my head knocked off. I think for my loud listening, the D7000 will be my go to. For more critical listening, and my non bass heavy folk stuff, classical, etc...I have a feeling the HE 500 will be there for me.

May 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 120
Quote:
Yeah. I mean, I would be more than happy to use the D7000 or the HE-4 for all purposes. I actually do. I really only use the HE-4 when the D7000 gets too hot, or whenever I feel like having the comfort of velour on my ears. I think they both do well in all genres, though they do have their particular strengths.

That's still pretty good to only use 2 headphones for all music. Many users feel like they need a headphone for each genre, and that's fine. I'm not like that though. I'm more into a single all-arounder, even though it's really hard to get something like that. Lucky for me, I would rather have 1 REALLY good headphone that 2 VERY good headphones. That's exactly why I'm getting the HE-500 instead of getting something along the lines of the the W1000X or D7000 along my HE-4.

May 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 120
Even way before I truly got into this hobby, I know I would need two different headphones. One closed, one open. I always had at least one of both. I think if I could only own one headphone, it'd have to be closed to due to it being a bit more versatile. The D7000 would definitely be my top choice. It doesn't leak out enough to be an issue, is easy to drive, and has a signature that I love for all kinds of music.

I wonder if Hifiman is ever gonna do a full sized closed headphone?

May 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 120
Quote:
Even way before I truly got into this hobby, I know I would need two different headphones. One closed, one open. I always had at least one of both. I think if I could only own one headphone, it'd have to be closed to due to it being a bit more versatile. The D7000 would definitely be my top choice. It doesn't leak out enough to be an issue, is easy to drive, and has a signature that I love for all kinds of music.

That's true. It's very, very handy to have one closed and one open. I should probably add a closed headphone to my collection, except it would probably be a relatively cheap once, since I blew all my money on the HE-500. Although, with how much I've loved the D2000, you never know what may happen. I've always wanted to try the D7000, but it's a bit expensive, especially since if I'm going to have a reference headphone being open, I won't pay nearly as much for a closed alternate.

May 14, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #25 of 120
That's true. It's very, very handy to have one closed and one open. I should probably add a closed headphone to my collection, except it would probably be a relatively cheap once, since I blew all my money on the HE-500. Although, with how much I've loved the D2000, you never know what may happen. I've always wanted to try the D7000, but it's a bit expensive, especially since if I'm going to have a reference headphone being open, I won't pay nearly as much for a closed alternate.

*Insert generic M50 recommendation* :D

I never heard the D2000, but I assumed you wouldn't like it due to the highs. I vaguely remember you liking them though.

May 14, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #26 of 120
Quote:
Quote:

*Insert generic M50 recommendation*
biggrin.gif

That's probably what it would be, even though I've had it before. Either that or something like the Denon HP700.

May 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 120
Yeah, you have the amp requirements for them, and since I love to always try new things, I'd probably go for the HP700 if I were in your shoes... though the buzzsaw design is a major turn off. XD

OMG Morbid, I'm so sorry for derailing this topic. :frowning2:

I swear I don't mean to.

May 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 120
1 headphone to rule them all? R10? :D

Also, I'm hoping the HE 500 is my last purchase for a long time, headphone wise. You SHOULD look into a D7000 though...they're amazing and can be had pretty cheap (compared to MSRP) used, as I said in the review.

Quote:

May 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #29 of 120
Quote:

I hope that somebody does.  There's a lack of high end closed 'phones as compared to open models and I've got too much noise to deal with for long term use of open 'phones.  I almost snagged a DX1000 this week but was foiled when I discovered that paypal doesn't let you use "bill me later" with private transactions.  Maybe I need a real credit card...

I'm going to console myself trying to make some wood cups for my T50RPs this week since work is a little slow.

May 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #30 of 120
I think the ED.8 is probably the best we could hope for, though Im not sure about their comfort. Comfort has to be extremely awesome for me to spend that much.

Those or the T5P...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back