Denon D2000 recable, recomendations
Jan 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, Im thinking of re-cable for my D2000, I don't want to spend mega bucks on jena labs, or apuresound, I just want the stock D5000, I think i'll be quite pleased with it for it's cost ratio. Anyone know where i can get my D2000 re-cabled with the D5000? I know lawton audio sells the cable for 39$. Seems like the only cable signifigantly better then stock d5000 is the jena labs, and at 500$ it's not somthing im ever going to consider. I bet it cost 2$ a foot lol.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 32
You can just use the Mogami cable and put a nylon sleeve on it. It'll look awesome and sound really good, at least better than the stock cable.

And, the Jena is not $2/ft
rolleyes.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 32
I'm thinking of buying the Jena wire direct, at $5/foot, and making the cable myself.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 32
where would you buy this mogami cable, and what type would I need? how good is it compared to the stock D5000 cable? I asked lawton audio and they get D5000 and D7000 cables in stock from time to time, (probably everytime they recable one to Jena) but they want 79$ to install it plus 49$ for the cable, seems kind of expensive to me, probably takes 5 minutes to install.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

... seems kind of expensive to me, probably takes 5 minutes to install

Not correct, you have to disassemble both cups, unsolder the old cable, remove the item preventing the cable from being pulled out, remove the cable. Then you have to reverse the entire process for the new cable.

You are paying to prevent damage to the cable and your new cans. It is that expertise you pay for.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where would you buy this mogami cable, and what type would I need? how good is it compared to the stock D5000 cable? I asked lawton audio and they get D5000 and D7000 cables in stock from time to time, (probably everytime they recable one to Jena) but they want 79$ to install it plus 49$ for the cable, seems kind of expensive to me, probably takes 5 minutes to install.

Sadly, a headphone cable is not like a USB cable. It's not plug and play.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can buy it @ Markertek. Just type in the part number 2534.

And, have you ever tried installing any headphones cable? Even the easiest one like the KSC75 takes me at least 30 mins to solder the cable to the drivers. It's definitely not child play.

If you need a cheaper solution to install the cable to your Denon, just PM me and I'll tell you where to go. Of course, it's not me
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the easiest one like the KSC75 takes me at least 30 mins

I've seen the things you build, and you tell me that takes you 30 minutes!
ph34r.gif

With your skill it should be "move in, solder and move out" within like.. 1 minute!

But ontopic, I recommend Mogami! It sounds great with my HD25-1, and I made a dozen of cables for that headphone, trying to find the best sounding, most flexible and easiest to work with cable and ended up with the Mogami!

Good luck
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 32
I have never bought anything from Jena, but surprised they are mentioned after the whole big fiasco of charging someone 1000$ to destroy their venerable R10 and with no apology, in fact holding them for ransom until 1000$ paid.

Just an observation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of buying the Jena wire direct, at $5/foot, and making the cable myself.

Sidenote, I think someone mentioned that DIY doesn't always pan out to be cheaper than having an expert doing it. Moon-Audio or APureSound I believe. That and risk of destroying your headphones, not implying you will mind you. APureSound won't charge 500 bucks for recable though, isn't it around 240$?

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen the things you build, and you tell me that takes you 30 minutes!
ph34r.gif

With your skill it should be "move in, solder and move out" within like.. 1 minute!

Solder the wires to the drivers should be less than 1 minutes (longer will destroy the drivers
biggrin.gif
) but there are many stuffs to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
charging someone 1,500$ ...

FIFY

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 32
Yeah shouldn't be too hard I don't think.

But it seems like a waste of money to upgrade from D2000 to a D5000 cable. Are the cables really that different? If you are going to recable might as well do it and gain significant improvement.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 32
The d5000 cable is supposedly a big jump up from D2000, and is what is mostly responsible for the sonic differences between D5k and D2k. It can also be got pretty cheap.. around 40 bucks. Apuresound is still pretty expensive, and Jena is ridiculous, I was looking to spend 150-180$ tops. As it is, I could sell my D2k's for 180$ used and pick up D5k's for 350$ and get wood cups and the better cable for 170$ out of pocket, which I may end up doing anyways.

I fairly confident I could do the job myself, being a locksmith by day, and computer enthusiast by nite, im pretty good with small parts, and putting things together. My soldering skills could use some help though. I've just done basic stuff, installing car radio, soldering wires together, I upgraded the Crossover network in my AV123 speakers, the most challenging thing I did was modding my Wii, that chip is tiny lol.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 32
D5k cable is worth upgrading with, especially with the taper mod, it is wonderful!!
However; would not recommend blue dragon, not much of a difference, in fact, gets a little darker to my ear (not something i prefer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back