Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jul 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2,221 of 5,248
I entered the "headphone game" with a pair of d2ks and...damn I really wish I got a pair of d5ks before they made them look like ****, who "oks" the production of such ugly headphones? I am officially not a Denon supporter anymore 

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,223 of 5,248
Hi all!!!

Great news. I fixed my Denon D2000 headphones. And now, and now, (and now - distant), I can truly appreciate them (and contribute meaningfully to this thread!!). =).

I am so happy.

I'm including an image of the drill bit / screw bit I used to reattach the small screw - which I found luckily on the floor when it fell out, along with the washer. It was a Number "1" drill bit for 39 Cents at my local Hardware Store in Rochester, NY affiliated with Ace Hardware called Mayer's.

I bought Loctite too in case it wiggles out again. It was kind of difficult, but I propped the headphones up so the screw opening was exposed using my legs sitting Indian style on the ground with a clean (think surgical) paper towel. The drill bit is a tad too long. But at an angle, I was able to turn the screw enough to get it tight in there, in small little turns... I noticed I did mark up the left cup ever so 'slightly' - or was starting to, so I placed a paper towel in between the cup and gimbal to finish it. The mark is hardly noticeable and is surface based - looks like a convex slightly shiny worn area.

If you can find a smaller drill / screw bit that'd be best, or cut your drill bit down with a hacksaw. Apparently the Ace Hardware guy had not heard of an offset precision screwdriver, and that would have been way more expensive than buying a 39 Cent piece.

I'm just glad I was able to get the screw on at an angle.

Here's the picture of the drill / screw bit: http://cl.ly/image/2N2M320B1U35

I'm rocking them out again. My favorite albums (in addition to Dark Side of the Moon): jj - Kills, and AraabMUZIK - Electronic Dream (Deluxe Edition - 6 extra songs).

Great dark / light / love music.

Denon, I love you!!!!

Kevin / kelvanE 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #2,226 of 5,248
According to this post  they fit without any modification.

He used the leather pads and I am going to try the velour pads.  I fully expect the velour pads to change the sound signature a bit but the comfort should be awesome.  I am expecting my D5000s tomorrow and I plan on doing this pretty much right out of the box.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2,227 of 5,248
I'm just wondering how the Dx000 can get any more comfortable than the factory pads.  They already practically disappear on my head.  If anything, the headband is the weakest link as far as comfort.
But the increased SQ has me interested.  I've read a lot of hyperbole regarding SQ changes from modifications on this site so it's hard to weed out the placebo from the real at times.  I'm interested to read your impressions of the different pads.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,228 of 5,248
Quote:
According to this post  they fit without any modification.

He used the leather pads and I am going to try the velour pads.  I fully expect the velour pads to change the sound signature a bit but the comfort should be awesome.  I am expecting my D5000s tomorrow and I plan on doing this pretty much right out of the box.

Where are you seeing the velour pads? I can only see the pleather option on mp4nation.net.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #2,230 of 5,248
Ah, I tried searching Frogbeats and can't find a link to the velour pads. I ended up getting the pleather replacement ones from mp4nation.net. Will likely do some mods to stuff them and tune them to my liking. 

Do you have a link to the velour ones?

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2,231 of 5,248
Quote:
Ah, I tried searching Frogbeats and can't find a link to the velour pads. I ended up getting the pleather replacement ones from mp4nation.net. Will likely do some mods to stuff them and tune them to my liking. 

Do you have a link to the velour ones?

I emailed them directly as they really didn't officially sell them on their site.  They had an extra pair that they sold to me.  This was some months ago, so I don't know if they have anymore.  

Frogbeats was the only place on earth (literally) that I could find them... :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2,233 of 5,248
Well, I just tried the Velour FA-003 pads on the D5000s.  It was a tight fit, but they do work!  As for the sound quality, the first thing I noticed was the bass was greatly reduced.  With velour pads that is usually the case.  They made the D5000s sound just a bit too thin and bright.  The comfort was awesome though.  Like cushy pillows on my ears... :)

I also tried the leather HM5 pads.  These fit the same as the velours.  However, the sound with the HM5 leather pads was much closer to the D5000 signature that I like so much.  The bass is back, and due to the depth of the pads I would say that the soundstage is a little wider now.  

There is one thing though.  I noticed that on the FA003 velours and the HM5 leather pads the fabric covering the opening is quite a bit thinner than the stock pads.  So, this seems to have introduced a slight increase in sibilance on some songs.  It's not bad at all, there is just a tiny hint of harshness from time to time.  

All in all, I am going to stick with the HM5 leathers for now.  They are comfortable and give me the bass I want.

It's amazing how much the sound changes just by swapping out the earpads!

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2,234 of 5,248
So HM5 leather pads vs D5k stock pads is that they have about the same sound signature but more comfortable?

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,235 of 5,248
Too bad the velours don't sound right. I may have cursed myself for selling the D7000 if the velours worked and kept the same signature.

Also, pics please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back