Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jul 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #2,191 of 5,248
Finally got a chance to really listen to these but not really sure how I feel about them.

On one hand, they seem to be really resolving and clear (not to mention comfort is top notch) but on the other...the midrange seems to be a bit too laid back + it's a little treble happy. Also, bass response is good but I would like to know what people were smoking when they said these were basshead cans :wink:

(Run from an E7)

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #2,192 of 5,248
Quote:
Finally got a chance to really listen to these but not really sure how I feel about them.

On one hand, they seem to be really resolving and clear (not to mention comfort is top notch) but on the other...the midrange seems to be a bit too laid back + it's a little treble happy. Also, bass response is good but I would like to know what people were smoking when they said these were basshead cans :wink:

(Run from an E7)

I might be smoking too but try something from trentmoller, or 'Bass, I love you' by bassotronics. If you are using the second track, keep in mind they are only headphones not subs, so compare them to other headphones...

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #2,193 of 5,248
How could you NOT call them a bass head can?  The endless depths the sub bass can reach are uncanny.  Did the pair of Denons you tried have a decent number of hours already on them?  My D2000s didn't seem as bassy as I'd have thought at first but after some pink noise treatment they blew me away.
Try a good HQ version of Feist - "1 2 3 4 (Van She Tech Remix)" to me there's a ton of sub bass in that song and the Denons shine.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #2,194 of 5,248
Quote:

(Run from an E7)

They are quite bass heavy unless you consider strapping a pair of subwoofers to your head bass heavy :wink:. The Denon 5000s are even more so bass heavy (sub-bass) than the 2000.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2,195 of 5,248
I bought the D2000 yesterday and at the moment plugging them into my laptop (buying an amp soon) but I'm loving them so far. They have good bass but I still prefer the mid bass and the impact of the Ultrasone HFI-780's. The D2000 also sounds more laid back than the HFI-780's (I compare them to the HFI-780's because those are my favourite headphones). But these are very impressive. They have a better soundstage imo and are extremely comfortable! Money well spent.

I definitely want to try the D5000 now. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2,196 of 5,248
Quote:
I bought the D2000 yesterday and at the moment plugging them into my laptop (buying an amp soon) but I'm loving them so far. They have good bass but I still prefer the mid bass and the impact of the Ultrasone HFI-780's. The D2000 also sounds more laid back than the HFI-780's (I compare them to the HFI-780's because those are my favourite headphones). But these are very impressive. They have a better soundstage imo and are extremely comfortable! Money well spent.

I definitely want to try the D5000 now. 

Hah!  Wait until you get some 200+ hours on them and you get them hooked up to a real amp/DAC combo. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,197 of 5,248
If you are looking for more bass......

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,198 of 5,248
Quote:

Hah!  Wait until you get some 200+ hours on them and you get them hooked up to a real amp/DAC combo. 

Lol! I'll definitely give my opinions once I get an amp.

Quote:
If you are looking for more bass......

Lmao! That would do it! Or maybe strap some tower speakers to your head and sit on a subwoofer...that ought to do it lol.

But seriously, the more I use and listen to the D2000 the more I love the bass and the headphones as a whole. And god damn are they comfy!

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2,199 of 5,248
Ahh a ultrasone and a denon. I sold my hfi580 to fund the denon. Toe the denon has less midbass more sub, slower decay but very very natural, large soundstage even if ultrasone has slogic (I can't find a good fit), and very comfirtable. It's highs were more acceptable too!

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2,200 of 5,248
Quote:
Ahh a ultrasone and a denon. I sold my hfi580 to fund the denon. Toe the denon has less midbass more sub, slower decay but very very natural, large soundstage even if ultrasone has slogic (I can't find a good fit), and very comfirtable. It's highs were more acceptable too!

Yeah I'm finding the soundstage on the D2000 to be better than the Ultrasone's for sure.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #2,202 of 5,248
Everyone has an opinion on burn in.  Regardless of what I said earlier, I'm neutral on it.  I can see both sides of the argument and neither has less merit IMO.  The general consensus is about 200-400 hours is when these particular cans sound their best so that's what I did without listening between to reduce the "brain burn in" effect, and the idea of pads breaking in as well.  That said, I gave my Denons a brief 10 minute listen of a couple songs that I'd used to test out on another pair before I bought mine.  Then I put them on for 250 hours of pink noise over the course of a few weeks, forcing myself to abstain from listening except once at the 200 hour mark. 
I noticed a pretty large difference in the bass.  I won't attest to major quality differences as obviously hearing memory isn't great in humans, but I can definitely tell the bass was way more present and reached deeper, still using the same test songs as before.  I'd initially listened to another pair prior to buying mine, which had plenty of hours on them, and I remember the bass was far greater in quantity and depth than mine pre-burn in.  It honestly made me a little nervous but now they're great and the test tracks I'd used on the pair I tried before mine sound like I remembered them the first time I'd heard these cans.

It's not definitive proof by any means, but my experience with these cans leads me to believe that some level of change happens to the sound during the initial use period.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2,203 of 5,248
Yo Sandwich, mind talking about the foam ring pad mod a bit? I tried the link but it didn't work for me

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #2,204 of 5,248
Thanks for the heads up, the link in my sig should work now, I fixed it.
It's basically a very clever way to get the same effect as J$ or Lawton Audio pads without purchasing more than a $0.60 sheet of foam and about 30 minutes of time, and 100% reversible.  Increases the sound stage a lot on stock pads.
I feel like two rings per pad is ideal, with 3 stretching the pleather too much for comfort and increasing sibilance to my ear.  Though I'm wanting to take a second listen to verify that, I feel like two is a good thickness.  It's also a little more cushy than three since thicker = stiffer.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #2,205 of 5,248
Ahh! I thought you are doing things to the inner very dense foam ring underneath the pads. Taken that thing out would be the worst idea ever, try it if you don't believe me ;P

Believe it or not I did that on my J$ pads @@ I hid some unused speaker cable bits underneath the pads to make them stand 'up' more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back