Denon D2000: ahhh so disappointed!
Apr 4, 2008 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

sk007

100+ Head-Fier
I just received the D2000's that I ordered from Buy.com, and I'm listening to it right now. I have to say that the very first impressions are very disappointing. Since I don't really have any good source at hand, I'm listening to it directly off an ipod with no amps. Bass is all you hear! But not in an enjoyable way(and I generally like bass!), they don't feel like controlled and kind of muddy and overpowering everything else at some point. What's worse are the highs, they are harsh and way too bright! I was listening to the song "goodbye" by spice girls (in lossless format) and every time there's an 's' sound, I feel like my eardrums are pierced thru, and it literally hurts! mids are ok, but not as forward as I wanted them to be.

I was really hoping they could be my closed-back phones (mainly for vocal listening) when I need them, but now I'm not sure. I'm just hoping they could improve with better source and amps and break-in.

Guess I would eventually go the AT woodies route for good closed back cans with good vocal performance. But man they are really bank breaking...
2400229654_b1640f6923.jpg

edit: photo added.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 62
btw, they have actually a lot larger cups than I thought, but overall very comfortable though.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 62
The harshness is your recordings fault.
Try finding Dian Krall: The Girl in the Other Room. Great recording and shows nicely on the Denon's.

But I agree, stock the bass is uncontrolled and overpowers rest of spectrum. Search for markl mod- it fixes the faults of these cans and turns them into something that is pleasant to listen to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The harshness is your recordings fault.
Try finding Dian Krall: Thr Girl in the Other Room. Great recording and shows nicely on the Denon's.

Blech, if I can't listen to my own recordings, then I figure its not worth it. Why spend money on headphones when all I can listen to is Diana Krall??

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 62
x2

Get an amp, and give us your updated impressions.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blech, if I can't listen to my own recordings, then I figure its not worth it. Why spend money on headphones when all I can listen to is Diana Krall??

Sorry, I forgot the other possibility: your source.

What might it be?

Also, Diana Krall was just one suggestion of many.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 62
If the source is bad to begin with, there are not really much else to do to make it better. Actually good headphones will make it sounds even more crappier (transparent sound), same with amp.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 62
Try the Denon D5000.
Not harsh, not sibilant. Very good out of the box.

ps: get a amp.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 62
I find the stock Denons D2000 and D5000 definitely need modification to sound their best. I too find both of their bass presentations to uncontrolled. But I have heard modded units and even just recabling the D2000 really help.

The other thing though - listening from your headphone out on your iPod is far from ideal. It's kind of like getting a HDTV and watching nothing but SD. So you have two things working against you.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 62
Sorry if my suggestion will sound too simplistic after Diana Krall and D5000. But at least it helped in my situation:
1) Give them a good couple of days of pink noise burn in.
2) Stretch headband. Fully extend it, grab on both sides where metal rods enter pleather part and using your knee as a prop start unbending, the steel wire in the headband is very springy but it gives little by little. Looser fit helps tremendously in cutting unwanted amount of bass and clearing up mids and highs. Details get much better accentuation too and they gain more air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back