Denon D2000: ahhh so disappointed!
Apr 14, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #47 of 62
There is no question that the D2000s/D5000s are a somewhat darker set of phones than Senns, Grados and ATHs (and perhaps others) - they don't have the same bright, fast-paced, sharp sound. Though, they do seem to have more refined, and, perhaps, even greater detail. The differences seem to diminsh a bit with burn-in... and... reportedly, the "Markl Mods."

But... in the end... I suspect you have to decide you like their more reserved, yet refined, resolution and clarity, compared to the more aggressive, somewhat brash / harsh "illusion" of clarity and detail of the Senns, Grados and ATHs (an "illusion" created by their upper bass, and lower mids emphasis and lower treble emphasis).

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #48 of 62
I agree that giving the cans some time to burn is a good idea. See if anything changes, hopefully for the better.

However if the phones themselves are just a farcry from your ideal sound, it may be better to just try a different headphone. I've no doubt that the markl mods help the headphone, but trying to improve upon something you don't really like doesn't seem worthwhile.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #49 of 62
i found huge differences in during the burn-in period. i too was close to returning them after a day or two of unamped listening as soon as i bought them. a good 100 hours of pink noise tamed the bass quite well for me and my 2move takes care of the rest. and i find them to be one of the most comfortable headphones out there. i love the neutrality....

but yes, in the end, you shouldn't force yourself to like your cans. if you dont get your wow factor, trade em in and keep searching.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #50 of 62
My first set of phones were Senns, then I tried AKG701, and then Beyer 990's. Each approached and fell short of what I would call a accurate sonic picture of the recording. I know how these recordings should sound, via speakers, so either my expectations were too lofty or I was barking down the wrong road entirely.

So, what is too much bass, or bass that is unpleasant to listen to. In most cases it's meant to be on the recording, and you can blame the engineer. But what about well recorded bass that is coming out ugly sounding. You could look to your source, your amps or your headphones. Bottom line is Redbook is not the best medium ever devised for recording and playing back music. I decided to make sure it wasn't my source that gave me problems, so my first investment was in a Rega Saturn. Then a SinglePower MPX3 Slam with some good NOS tubes, and finally several headphones. As a speaker lover, my first hurdle was to get around what headphones lack. Face it, they just aren't designed to reproduce bass very well. The Beyers came close but not the close that said, damn but I got a pair of speakers straped to my ears. Then the D5000...and it was the rare case of love at first listen. These are the first phones that actually did a decent job at reproducing bass at a speaker believable level. I've found only 2 recordings that I found the bass to be overdone, and you know what, that I can safely blame on the recording engineer. The bass on most recording is dead on perfect. So is it a case of most headphone listeners being so starved for bass that when they hear it on the 5000's it's too much; is it a case of not having downstream gear that can do justice to the recording? Probably some of both. I am completely happy with the bass and other frequencies of the 5000. I will one day get it modded to see how far I can take the already great sound.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #51 of 62
The Denon AH-D5000 was a huge disappointment. Very uncomfortable, and even with good source and amp, a really bottom heavy response. I packaged them up for immediate return to the supply vendor. You shouldn't spend good money on a phone, then look forward to modifying it. Just my opinion, but the Denon's are overrated.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon AH-D5000 was a huge disappointment. Very uncomfortable, and even with good source and amp, a really bottom heavy response. I packaged them up for immediate return to the supply vendor. You shouldn't spend good money on a phone, then look forward to modifying it. Just my opinion, but the Denon's are overrated.

I am a happy owner of the D2000. Love it for Bass, mids, treble and balance. soundstage is ok for a closed can. It complements my other phones (K701, DT880) perfectly. It does not come close to my Sennheiser HE60, but they are in a different league anyway.

In fact I did just order a D5000, mainly for the looks and maybe even better sound.

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are the first phones that actually did a decent job at reproducing bass at a speaker believable level. The bass on most recording is dead on perfect. So is it a case of most headphone listeners being so starved for bass that when they hear it on the 5000's it's too much;

Spot on observation. And bass on these cans gets labeled as bloated and uncontrolled.

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrg242 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i found huge differences in during the burn-in period. i too was close to returning them after a day or two of unamped listening as soon as i bought them. a good 100 hours of pink noise tamed the bass quite well for me and my 2move takes care of the rest. and i find them to be one of the most comfortable headphones out there. i love the neutrality....

but yes, in the end, you shouldn't force yourself to like your cans. if you dont get your wow factor, trade em in and keep searching.

After being wishy-washy about getting the D2000's, I finally bit the bullet & ordered a pair from Amazon early last week (got them on 4/10/08).. Anyways, I always considered myself someone who loved bass...but man, listening to these straight out of the box was a bit unnerving--the bass seemed a bit excessive; at volume levels that I would like to listen at, it caused headaches for me. BUT, after a few days worth of burn-in, things seem to have mellowed-out quite a bit. I'm a headphone newbie, so I wasn't sure about buying into the whole Burn-in thing, but now I'm a believer...up to a point, of course.

Now I might go all crazy & get these re-cabled by APureSound....

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jherbert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a happy owner of the D2000. Love it for Bass, mids, treble and balance. soundstage is ok for a closed can. It complements my other phones (K701, DT880) perfectly. It does not come close to my Sennheiser HE60, but they are in a different league anyway.

In fact I did just order a D5000, mainly for the looks and maybe even better sound.

That's the beauty of this Forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will stand by mine. And offer a further observation, that the construction integrity of the Denon line is suspect. It didn't offer confidence in its apparent lack of build quality, it felt flimsey in the hand. Again these are my observations and opinions.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the beauty of this Forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will stand by mine. And offer a further observation, that the construction integrity of the Denon line is suspect. It didn't offer confidence in its apparent lack of build quality, it felt flimsey in the hand. Again these are my observations and opinions.

Indeed, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but your remarks on the quality of the Denon is suspect. I have used Denon stuff in the home, in studios, on stage as a DJ. When the Sony, Technics, Pioneer etc had long stopped working, the Denon were still pumping blood. I got the D1000 myself and it has outlasted the Sony, Pioneer, Technics equivalent DJ headphones by at least twice as long so far. One thing I found out about DEnon stuff is that they seem to have done their research and built things to last without the design being uncomfortable in weight or flexibility.

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what is too much bass, or bass that is unpleasant to listen to. In most cases it's meant to be on the recording, and you can blame the engineer. But what about well recorded bass that is coming out ugly sounding. You could look to your source, your amps or your headphones. Bottom line is Redbook is not the best medium ever devised for recording and playing back music. I decided to make sure it wasn't my source that gave me problems, so my first investment was in a Rega Saturn. Then a SinglePower MPX3 Slam with some good NOS tubes, and finally several headphones. As a speaker lover, my first hurdle was to get around what headphones lack. Face it, they just aren't designed to reproduce bass very well. The Beyers came close but not the close that said, damn but I got a pair of speakers straped to my ears. Then the D5000...and it was the rare case of love at first listen. These are the first phones that actually did a decent job at reproducing bass at a speaker believable level. I've found only 2 recordings that I found the bass to be overdone, and you know what, that I can safely blame on the recording engineer. The bass on most recording is dead on perfect. So is it a case of most headphone listeners being so starved for bass that when they hear it on the 5000's it's too much; is it a case of not having downstream gear that can do justice to the recording? Probably some of both. I am completely happy with the bass and other frequencies of the 5000. I will one day get it modded to see how far I can take the already great sound.

I totally agree. I worked hard to get my own speaker system accurate down to about 25Hz, and the Denon D2000/5000 is one of the few headphones that does a good job of balancing the bass with rest of the spectrum. It's not the last word on bass accuracy, but the quantity of bass is perceptually closer to what I hear in real space when I play it on my speaker system.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #58 of 62
I've had my D2000's for a year now, and still love them. Try some DT770/80's if you think these have too much bass... Those things are out of control. Closed phones seem to range wildly on personal preference, like anything else around here... Personally I couldnt find any Senns or Beyers to please me.

Send them back and try something else.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... in the end... I suspect you have to decide you like their more reserved, yet refined, resolution and clarity, compared to the more aggressive, somewhat brash / harsh "illusion" of clarity and detail of the Senns, Grados and ATHs (an "illusion" created by their upper bass, and lower mids emphasis and lower treble emphasis).

rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received the D2000's that I ordered from Buy.com, and I'm listening to it right now. I have to say that the very first impressions are very disappointing.

Ho-ho. Got the same disappointing impression as my new D2000 arrived yesterday.

I listen to FLAC on Foobar through EMU-0404 USB. The other pair is Audio-Technica A700. The two things I lacked in AT – the detail and the bass. Hense the Denons.

However out of the box they were just horrible: the bass was tubby and bloated, it just covered all low end with a huge foamy wave. But the worst thing were the mids – the lively and joyful voice of Rebecca Pigeon sounded as if she’d been singing the same song continuously for the last month and got bored to death with it. ATs have completely different presentation – vocals sound forward and bright, very flirty I’d say.

The bright side of life was the level of detail and dynamics I have never heard before (I am not an experienced listener, though). Funk and electronics sounded just amazing – if only to forget the smeared low-end. The build quality is superb and the wearing comfort far surpasses the AT’s pretty cosy design.

Nevertheless… For the third time in my life I make myself a promise not to listen to headphones not burnt in yet. I do hope some of the issues will be covered once the diaphragms get the training. And i've just found a shop with a huge supply of Dynamat right next to my office
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back