Denon AH-GC20 Headphone Discussion Thread
May 18, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #166 of 179
  I bought Denon AH-GC20 for its NC features and sound signature. Bluetooth was a nice addition, but not a requirement.

The problem is that even though these cans do work with a smart phone through bluetooth and/or cable, I cannot get them to work with my desktop USB DAC (Corda Cantate) with a cable. I have tried with the cable that came with the phones (and which work with the smart phone) but no sound comes out. Same thing with a third party audio cable. The USB DAC does work with other headphones.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Did the cable that came with the headphones have a 4-pole plug on one end? If so, that's your problem. 

May 18, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #167 of 179

Did the cable that came with the headphones have a 4-pole plug on one end? If so, that's your problem. 

It looks like a standard stereo plug but when looked closely there is an extending ring type of thing in the very root of the plug (on the phone side of the plug). Not a pole though and might be done for fitting purposes as it is integrated to the pastic. But makes me wonder if it is some kind of a 3-pole plug?

May 18, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #168 of 179
Can you take a picture of it and posted here? I'll upgrade your account so you can post pictures

It looks like a standard stereo plug but when looked closely there is an extending ring type of thing in the very root of the plug (on the phone side of the plug). Not a pole though and might be done for fitting purposes as it is integrated to the pastic. But makes me wonder if it is some kind of a 3-pole plug?

May 18, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #170 of 179
I solved the problem. The plug is required to be inserted a tad deeper into the haedphones. Even though the headphones had turned the bluetooth off when detecting the plug, the sound was missing until the plug was stuffed deeper. My third party cable (which I would have preferred both quality and lenght wise) were not compatible for this as the base of the plug is unfortunately too wide.

Thanks

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #172 of 179
if someone would wander here please answer these 2 questions:
-does this device 'remember' the eq settings set in the app after migrating from the phone to a pc?
-does aptx low latency require a special dongle? i have an aptx capable csr dongle (actually 2)...

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #173 of 179
if someone would wander here please answer these 2 questions:
-does this device 'remember' the eq settings set in the app after migrating from the phone to a pc?
-does aptx low latency require a special dongle? i have an aptx capable csr dongle (actually 2)...

I believe the EQ settings remain in the app, and are not stored in the headphones. - The Sennheiser PXC550 can store EQ presets though.
The transmitter must support aptx LL to use the LL, if your transmitter only uses aptx, then only aptx will be used.

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #174 of 179
BTW, I don't know how I missed these headphones. Late last year I started experimenting with Wireless noise canceling headphones. And I bought a few of them to sample, Bose QC35, Sennheiser HD4.50BTNC, Sennieher PCX550, Sony MDR1000x, and Bower & Wilkins PX. I was disappointed with most of them especially the Bose QC35 which sounded the worse. I wound up sticking with the Bowers & Wilkins PX, which is the most serious you can get to audiophile with bluetooth. The sounds is the most neutral and it supports AptX-HD. But somehow I never ran across the Denon AH -GC20. It was only recently by accident when I was looking in to headphones with AptX LL so I can watch TV with and I stumble across them. They once retailed for $400 but Amazon has them for $170.
I really enjoy the comfort which is comparable with the Bose, and built quality is comparable with the Bowers & Wilkins. Sturdy,no creaking, or wiggly buttons making noises every time you move your head.
The sound is not neutral, the sound signature is warm and there is a bass emphasis in the 50 hz-60 hz region. But thankfully the mid section is not effected much,with only a slight v shape in sound while still being comparable with neutral headphones. The treble is present but with no emphasis, Denon is going for a more pleasant relaxing sound, without feeling like something is lacking on top.

And then comes the weird part. The noise canceling. With all the headphones I mentioned, the sound quality diminishes. But with the Denon, the the sound actually improves a little. The upper mids push up a bit. and then there sounds some kind of stereo enhancer kicks in. This is the opposite of the the other headphones like the Bose where the treble drops and the stereo get narrower. The Noise canceling itself is comparable with the Bose and Sony. The world around you is muted to a good degree and if you talk, its sounds like you can hear the sound of your voice coming from with in your head rather than in the atmosphere, similar to being in an anechoic chamber. In fact as I'm typing this, I can not hear the keys being pressed on my keyboard.

If there are bad things to say its that, the earcups could be just slightly larger and deeper for my ears as the upper tip of my ear does touch the inner driver. And after long listing sessions they start to feel a little uncomfortable and I need to adjust them to a different angle. And it doesn't appear as if the earpads are replaceable. So I worry what happens if and when they wear out. If anyone has owned these since 2015 let me know how they hold up.
While I do enjoy the bass, I have to admit that the bass is a bit one note. It's lack the texture, resolution and quality of true audiophile headphones, and could be summed up in just one word. "boomy".
And the last thing is the Bluetooth paring. The pairing is slow, and can it can take 30-55 seconds sometimes. There is also no voice of what device you are connected too, just a low beep indicating that your are connected to something. While you can pair up to 2 active devices simultaneously, the manual isn't clear on how many paired devices it can store. before it overwrites previous parings. Its seemed like when I paired more than 3, it overwrote the first one, because I couldn't connect anymore, and I had to repair.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #175 of 179
I believe the EQ settings remain in the app, and are not stored in the headphones. - The Sennheiser PXC550 can store EQ presets though.
The transmitter must support aptx LL to use the LL, if your transmitter only uses aptx, then only aptx will be used.

thank you for your reply.
i actually bought these on sale a few months back, and oh boy... the most disappointing of the lot (sony wh-1000xm2, bose qc25, bose qc35 i, b&w px, deftech symphony 1). its not that it was bass heavy it sounded something incredibly dull? blunt? i might have not know the proper expression... it sounded like a cheap eighties boombox. or a sokol radio on max volume. female voices sounded almost as male eg. oh, and in addition the silicone cover for the usb was broken after 2? 3? instances of removing it to charge (and i handle these things very carefully especially if theyre not mine or their fate is not yet decided). sent them back without any remorse.
now i have the qc35 (which i like i guess i do not have audiophile hearing), but i couldnt help meself and bought the deftech in addition to try and i immediately fell in love with it. if the idiot drummer kid doesnt try to make my life miserable, i use those, if he does, the qc goes onto my head.

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #176 of 179
If your ears are big or protruding quite a bit horizontally you may have a problem with ears touching the inner part of the cups, like commented on earlier here
I have the AH-GC20..
I like to know who was the truly idiotic designer, who put a dam sharp edged bump in the middle of this cup!!!
Whatanassss!!
15704782477731877855530315081990.jpg

What's going on there!!

Otherwise this headphone is very nice in all other aspects..
Even sounds nice.
Battery life is good.

I bought this unit because it supposedly uses the "free edge" drivers of the mm400.

But this is a dam shame there's always an issue with all these Bluetooth headphones, not just this one..
Ugg..

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #177 of 179
I have the AH-GC20..
I like to know who was the truly idiotic designer, who put a dam sharp edged bump in the middle of this cup!!!
Whatanassss!!
15704782477731877855530315081990.jpg
What's going on there!!

Otherwise this headphone is very nice in all other aspects..
Even sounds nice.
Battery life is good.

I bought this unit because it supposedly uses the "free edge" drivers of the mm400.

But this is a dam shame there's always an issue with all these Bluetooth headphones, not just this one..
Ugg..
O Know this is year later, but I used these all the time for work and decided to twist off the pads, and slowly peel off the felt covering the speaker.
IMG_20210214_161118__01.jpg
Then I removed this stupid plastic covee that covers the microphone.
Now it is totally comfortable and no ill effect for the noise cancelling which actually seems to be working better than before (!).
IMG_20210214_163338.jpg
So I assume this can be done on all the Denon bluetooth versions which have this stupid plastic piece in the middle.
Also, my Denon crushes my friend's bose headphones that he paid over $350 for.
His had a touch more noise reduction, but way less clear sound.
It is true the Denon active circuit gives a more exciting spacious sound.
The driver is not biocellulose, but regardless, it is superior to most other Bluetooth headphones.
And this is years later..
:)

May 7, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #179 of 179
Does anyone know how to disassemble gc20 ? I need to change right speaker coz its dead
Gotta pull off the pads.
Peel off the black felt
Unscrew all the screws
There is much inside so check if any loose connections, but most likely the internal amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back