Denon AH-D7000
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #2,476 of 7,464

Quote:
im planning to get D7000 tomorrow from a shop. However, I was told that few of their D7000 were held in delivery depot for 1 1/2 weeks. Those were kept in super cold temperature (below 0' ) warehouse. Would there be any bad effect for these few new D7000 which was kept in extremely cold place? Should i get it from them or find another seller?

Cryogenically treated D7000s? Nice. They should charge double.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2,477 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:
what's the going price on them?  I'm working on J&R but I can't get them to the $550-600 range I've heard others got the cans for.  PM me if you have a recent purchase with an order number of where you got them at a nice low price.  What's a "fair" price for these cans?  I don't want to pay $999 for them.  Thanks!  I'm going to probably place the order in the next day or so.

check out the first post in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529330/is-this-a-good-deal

dude you the man!  I'm calling J&R with this promo tomorrow and if they don't honor it they lost me as a customer.  That's a phenomenal deal (and from an authorized retailler so it's got warranty).  Thanks buddy!

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #2,478 of 7,464
OK so I went to a head-fi mini meet and had a chance to listen to the D7000 on my amp, a Little Dot Mark VII, Meier Audio Concerto, and another amp that was more powerful than my amp which is shown in my signature. The only amp that had a noticeable difference in sound aside from different amps being warmer or colder by nature was the Little Dot when ran out of the balanced connector (my headphones were modified by the previous owner to connect to a balanced amp via XLR connector and then have a balanced to 1/4" adapter made out of a short piece of the cable allowing me to go 1/4" or balanced). The balanced configuration made the sound stage of the headphone larger and made them clearer sounding and will be the route I will go if I get a new amp, probably from RW Audio when they have a balanced desktop amp available. Otherwise my $200 amp sounds mighty fine with the D7000 as does my $75 portable amp to a slightly lesser degree.

What I do think is important is to focus on the type of sound the amp your looking at produces. The D7000 being a warm headphone seems to do well with an amp that is colder in nature or at least is neutral versus a really warm sounding amp.

BTW I also had a chance to do an AB comparison between the A100 and the D7000 and I found the A100 much to bassy (or should I say mid-bassy) and to have a much more closed sound in comparison to the D7000, so would not recommend it as a D7000 portable alternative which based on other threads would seem to suggest the D1100 may also be in the same boat.

I also had a second listen to the LCD-2 and still find I prefer the D7000 over it as it's bass is a bit to heavy for my tastes as well plus it's considerably more expensive for what added clarity is does provide.

I also listened to the HE6 and it's a completely different sound signature to the D7000, more similar to the BD T1 which I also had another listen to. I like both of the headphones but prefer the warm rich tones of the D7000 more. This is just a personal taste thing though, not a technical thing as I think both headphones are better than the D7000 technically in terms of detail and transparency.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #2,479 of 7,464
Quote:
I also had a second listen to the LCD-2 and still find I prefer the D7000 over it as it's bass is a bit to heavy for my tastes as well plus it's considerably more expensive for what added clarity is does provide.

I also listened to the HE6 and it's a completely different sound signature to the D7000, more similar to the BD T1 which I also had another listen to.............

So LCD-2 is more bassy than D7000? How would you compare these to HD650?

How would you describe T1 vs HE6?

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #2,481 of 7,464
I've never experienced boominess with my D7000s.  The bass is very tightly controlled and there isn't too much of it.

I agree that the bass is very controlled. I was mainly speaking in comparison to the bass in the DT990s which even tighter and faster. I have no complaints about the bass. It is booomier than the 990s, but are not 'boomy' themselves.

As for the J$ pads, I have a feeling that tightening the bass would also affect the treble, which I simply do not want to make softer or smoother, which I have read it does.

I love the bass, and it gives me a different sound than the 990s. If I only had the D7000, then I would EQ the bass down just a little to make it more friendly for rock and non bass heavy genres.

edit: Okay, having burned the D7000 in for about 60+ hours (without using them), and though I dunno if they have truly changed or not so far, but since I haven't used them in a few days, I would say the bass isn't as powerful as when I first got them. Whether by my own perception or not, I have no problem with the bass it has now. Even better than initial use. I'll continue to monitor the progress....

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #2,482 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:
im planning to get D7000 tomorrow from a shop. However, I was told that few of their D7000 were held in delivery depot for 1 1/2 weeks. Those were kept in super cold temperature (below 0' ) warehouse. Would there be any bad effect for these few new D7000 which was kept in extremely cold place? Should i get it from them or find another seller?

Cryogenically treated D7000s? Nice. They should charge double.

so u mean they don do tat at all?

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #2,483 of 7,464
I would say the the D7000 is not as dark as the HD650 while actually have more bass. I find the mids a bit better on the D7000 as they are a bit more forward and more vibrancy. The treble is also better detailed and more extended with a 100% more realistic ability to produce sounds of cymbals and other crashing instruments. If you mean how does the LCD-2 compared to the HD650 you could take everything I just said but change the bass to be stronger than the D7000 and the detail to be higher as well.

The T1 and HE6 are both brighter sounding headphones with more emphasis on the midrange and highs. I can not say exactly which I would consider better because none of the amps at the meet were able to fully drive the HE6 properly or have the right synergy with the headphone. The owner is now looking to get an amp that can drive the HE6 properly and hopefully run the T1 better as well so he can decide which pair he will ultimately keep. Weighing in better physical design and comfort factors he is leaning towards keeping the T1 though.

Quote:

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #2,484 of 7,464

Quote:
I'm wondering how much better the 7000 are than the 5000s? Is it worth the money to upgrade?

They are so close in sound that I don't think the D7000 really worth the huge price difference unless you've got money to burn.  It took a few minutes and very specific tracks for me to really pick out the differences.  D7000 have slightly more defined bass and more forward mids (but still a bit recessed overall), but are brighter and so are harder to listen to with some albums with lots of treble (e.g. I can't listen to Radiohead's OK Computer).  If you're an obsessive who will wonder what you're missing and will not resist the siren song of high-end headphones (like most people in this site, including me
tongue.gif
) it'll be cheaper to just spring for the D7000.   But if you're a rational person with limited finances, D5000 are a much better value imo.  

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #2,485 of 7,464
If you don't own either headphone the D7000 is hands down better in my opinion with more refined bass, better midrange, and s'more extended and detailed treble. If you already own the D5000 an upgrade is a bit harder to swallow as the cost of the loss you will incur on the D5000 and the subsequent extra cost of the D7000 would be a bitter pill. Although if you buy used it might balance out.

It depends on whether you want less but more controlled bass and more treble. You could also doing a markle mod to the D5000, something I will not consider for the D7000.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #2,486 of 7,464
The damn D7000 is sooooo bloody good, it's making me question keeping my beloved 990s. ARGH!

But when I use the 990s, I remember that they sound spectacular for the $230 I spent and are more comfortable. That and the tone is more analytical when gaming (the upped treble helps pick out the finest details in games, the bass decays faster, while the full more robust sound of the D7000 is so full it can be harder to focus on minute things in comparison).

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #2,487 of 7,464
son of a...

I call J&R to show them that Electronics Expo is giving these cans away for $584 and this is how it goes. 

On Electronics Expo site it listed for $801...apply coupon code and wham it goes to $584.  So I get the J&R guy on the phone and he goes to price check.  He goes I see it's $801 but now I put the code in and it jumped to $999.  I then tried it myself and it's no longer listed for $801 and coupon code doesn't even budge the price!!#&@*!)&$@!$*&!@)$

Great!  In the end I got him to give it to me for $650 shipped which I guess isn't bad but wow...if I would have called literally 5 minutes sooner I would have got them to deal match it for $584.  Bummer!!!

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #2,488 of 7,464

Quote:
son of a...

I call J&R to show them that Electronics Expo is giving these cans away for $584 and this is how it goes. 

On Electronics Expo site it listed for $801...apply coupon code and wham it goes to $584.  So I get the J&R guy on the phone and he goes to price check.  He goes I see it's $801 but now I put the code in and it jumped to $999.  I then tried it myself and it's no longer listed for $801 and coupon code doesn't even budge the price!!#&@*!)&$@!$*&!@)$

Great!  In the end I got him to give it to me for $650 shipped which I guess isn't bad but wow...if I would have called literally 5 minutes sooner I would have got them to deal match it for $584.  Bummer!!!

I would call JR and tell them to match the price they will

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #2,490 of 7,464

Thanks for your comparison! I have the T1 and the HD650 myself . I really like the HD650 but the T1 I find too bright so far - but Woo WA2-tubes are coming.... Still - I'm tempted by the D7000 cause I've read it matches well with the Woo WA2 and has (even) more bass than the HD650 - which I'd like sometimes, and that D7000 is great for percussion... Also the D7000 seems ore comfy and solid than the LCD-2... The T1 is generally too light on the bass, but I'll wait for the WA2 before I'll settle for an opinion. Now I use a Naim Headline. Good amp, but I think I'd find the T1 bright on every SS. The HD650 sounds beautiful on the Naim

Surprising that you find the D7000 has less bass than the LCD-2 - I thought people found it to be the other way around, might be an amp-issue?
Quote:
I would say the the D7000 is not as dark as the HD650 while actually have more bass. I find the mids a bit better on the D7000 as they are a bit more forward and more vibrancy. The treble is also better detailed and more extended with a 100% more realistic ability to produce sounds of cymbals and other crashing instruments. If you mean how does the LCD-2 compared to the HD650 you could take everything I just said but change the bass to be stronger than the D7000 and the detail to be higher as well.

The T1 and HE6 are both brighter sounding headphones with more emphasis on the midrange and highs. I can not say exactly which I would consider better because none of the amps at the meet were able to fully drive the HE6 properly or have the right synergy with the headphone. The owner is now looking to get an amp that can drive the HE6 properly and hopefully run the T1 better as well so he can decide which pair he will ultimately keep. Weighing in better physical design and comfort factors he is leaning towards keeping the T1 though.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back