Denon AH D400 Unboxing and Review Thread!
Aug 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #16 of 82
Amazon has some nice pics: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00858I51U/

I would like to read a comparison of these vs. Ultrasone Pro 900.

I'm a bass-head, and I've been saving up for the Ultrasones, but these are kind of intriguing.  On the one hand, I'm not crazy about earphones with a battery, but on the other, it means I would not ever need to bring my Fiio E6 along.  Since they have their own volume control, I assume it would be okay to use them with a FiiO L3 Line Out Dock and avoid the iPhone amp completely (like I do with my E6 amp).

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 82
BRSxlgnition,

If you are referring to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620938/new-denon-music-maniac-urban-raver-lines-d7100-d600-d400-c300-appreciation-thread

It's about all the new Denons: D7100, D600, D400 & C300.  I've been through that entire thread, and most of the talk is about the D7100, and D600.  Not much in there about the D400... so I specifically chose this thread to reply to since it was specific to the ones I am most interested in... though the D600s might be an even closer comparison with the Ultrasone Pro 600, their newness has the price out of my range... in fact the D400s are still retail most places... and the Ulstrasones are going for the low $300's now.

My only reservations about the Ultrasone's is the harshness of the highs.  But most everything I read still puts them at the top of the list for massive, deep, controlled bass... and that the highs do tame a bit after burn-in.

From my reading in the other thread, many people are putting the D600 up there in the "harsh highs" realm too, which is still a turn-off, and they are almost $200 more than the Ultrasones if you're talking street price and not retail.

But the few posts I have read about the D400 sound like I might like it's sound signature best... however the onboard amp seems more of a con than pro... especially if you want to get many years out of these... which I would.  I assume once the battery dies they are useless without an expensive repair... I doubt they work at all turned off... but it would be nice if they could perform as "normal" headphones with the power off.

But my biggest question is still if anyone can comment that has heard both the D400 and Pro 900.  How does the bass compare, and are the D400 warmer and less harsh?

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #19 of 82
There is little talk about the D400 because it's not technically released yet - I am wondering how this person got his hands on one, but for NA, it is only being released late-August.

This would be the first proper review for that thread, and would get people talking about it. People shouldn't wait for something to become known, they should make it known. Currently, the other thread also has more views.

I think that if this review was posted there, it would get more traction and such, but I can't link it until the name of the thread is changed, because the link will break once it is changed.

Best Regards, 

BRSxIgnition

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #20 of 82
Amazon has some nice pics: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00858I51U/
ir

I would like to read a comparison of these vs. Ultrasone Pro 900.

I'm a bass-head, and I've been saving up for the Ultrasones, but these are kind of intriguing.  On the one hand, I'm not crazy about earphones with a battery, but on the other, it means I would not ever need to bring my Fiio E6 along.  Since they have their own volume control, I assume it would be okay to use them with a FiiO L3 Line Out Dock and avoid the iPhone amp completely (like I do with my E6 amp).

The D400 doesn't have a volume control per se. The knob simply remotely controls the iPod/iPad volume out. If you connect the headphone to the line out dock the knob will do nothing.
Also note, the knob only interfaces with apple Idevices. Plugging the headphone to an android device, the volume knob and music control does nothing.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #21 of 82
Thanks for the initial impressions! I came across the D400 a few days ago, and was quite intrigued when I finally saw them IRL. It's a shame since I didn't get a chance to audition them. Since you are comparing the D400 to the XB700, which of them has a greater mid-bass quantity?

I'm quite against the design of the D400, but I'm loving the colors - I've always loved the combination of blue and black. The D400 is certainly growing on me since Denon first introduced them months ago.

I don't have the xb700s with me at the moment, but I do remember the xb700s sounding more bloated in the midbass than the d400s.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #22 of 82
There is little talk about the D400 because it's not technically released yet - I am wondering how this person got his hands on one, but for NA, it is only being released late-August.

Best Regards, 

BRSxIgnition

It's nice to be in Asia. :wink:
And I believe I have already linked this review to that other thread about a week ago, before they added D400 to that threads title.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #24 of 82
Lucky! :blink:

Is it alright if I link to this thread as a review for the D400's? I'd be grateful if you could change the name to reflect that, since we already have an appreciation thread. 

sure thing

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #26 of 82
One thing that is annoying me recently is - Planned Obsolescence.

Take these 2 recent headphones for example :

The Denon D400 - Once the battery is dead then you cannot replace the battery and are left with a pair of active headphones that only work in passive mode (which they are clearly not designed for)

The Phillips fidelio L1 - Wear these for a few years and then once the ear pads wear out (which they will after a while) you can just throw them in the bin or do some DIY mod which will completely ruin the resale value... I mean who wants to buy on ebay a pair of "phillips fidelio L1 with elite beyerdynamic pads super glue pad mod"

Maybe its just me and I get too easily irritated about small things but really with purchases costing £100's of pounds they really should have after sales support... I mean even £100 headphones have replacable pads and cables ***.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #27 of 82
Quote:
I don't have the xb700s with me at the moment, but I do remember the xb700s sounding more bloated in the midbass than the d400s.

Hmm, then the D400 isn't as bassy as I thought it'd be. I would have expected that its mid-bass performance to be at least on a par with the XB700, if not equal to the XB500, judging from the manufacturer's description.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #28 of 82
With such levels of bass it's impossible to keep the outstanding levels of detail, caractheristic of DENON phones.

BTW, how would these compare to the DENON HP700?

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #29 of 82
Quote:

This would be the first proper review for that thread, and would get people talking about it. People shouldn't wait for something to become known, they should make it known. Currently, the other thread also has more views.

I think that if this review was posted there, it would get more traction and such, but I can't link it until the name of the thread is changed, because the link will break once it is changed.

Best Regards, 

BRSxIgnition

Are you sure? Amazon and almost everyone seems to have them in stock and are selling them http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D400-RaverTM-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00858I51U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345059969&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+d400

op do these sound "Sweet" (lush vocals) or dry?

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Back