Denon AH D400 Unboxing and Review Thread!
May 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #76 of 82
Sorry to revive an old thread but I was thinking about buying a pair of the AH-D400s from Newegg since one of their marketplace sellers has them on sale for $80 through the 17th of May. I know these have received some mediocre reviews for the original price but would they be worth it at this new price? I'm something of a basshead, by the way, if that helps.

Hey - I just found my way here the same way you did - seeing that $80 price on newegg.com. If you're looking for a pair of phones, I'd go for it at that price. I've never tried them, but it's a solid manufacturer, and they are aimed at bass heavy music, so I'm sure they'll be fine. I swear half the people on this site are just trying to show how sophisticated their tastes are by slagging off phones aimed at a specific type of music. Some of the comments on how these look are idiotic. You are walking around with two large speakers strapped to either side of your head - exactly which phones look GOOD?! I totally don't need any more phones, or I would be buying these - I took a punt on some Klipsch from newegg a couple months ago, and those have turned out great - something like $150 down to $50. My kid has a pair of the Sony XBR700 extra bass phones, and those are excellent, although no doubt sniffed at by the experts here at head-fi!

May 9, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #77 of 82
Well, I won't comment on the expert opinions but I will say that I went ahead and bought the D400s as I couldn't resist giving them a shot at the price and so far I think they were $80 well spent. Now, if I'd paid $200+ or *shivers* retail for these, I'd be quite disappointed as they don't sound good enough to justify that kind of investment but for $80? They sound great. I read the headphone.com critique calling the bass overwhelming and the mids and highs dull and lifeless (particularly when the amplifier is off) and I disagree. The highs are rather prominent, the mids are a bit recessed (though not as much as I thought they'd be) and the bass is indeed huge but I wouldn't call it overwhelming. Only downside I have with these so far is that they look plain ridiculous on my head and I'm way too self conscious to not worry about that if I were ever to wear these out so I think they'll be relegated to around the house duty.
tongue.gif

Overall, not worth the original price but pretty darn good for $80. So far, anyway. But that's how the D600 was received as well. Not worth retail but around $250 or less, pretty good. Take my recommendation with a grain of salt since I am an unashamed basshead who can't get enough bass sometimes but I think the D400 is pretty good.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #78 of 82
how do these sound

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #80 of 82
how do these sound

A bit muddy in the top end and mids, with overly prominent bass to my ears. But I've certainly heard worse. Not bad enough for me to get rid of them, even if I don't listen to them much. 

I do not think they are worth the MSRP. But I've seen them on sale for under $100, and at that price point, they are better than a lot of their company. Especially if you like bass. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #81 of 82
i bought d400 for 60 euro. its not as bad but not as good either, which is why its reduced i think. but probably ok overears for some casual use. they are easy to use

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #82 of 82
Just grab these for almost nothing and all I can say is that is absolutely NOT bad, I mean, it is quiet fun regarding the price.

Just try to listen high rez tracks with them.

Depending of the mix, sometimes is better with the amp sometimes without.

Here some facts :

- Effortlessly powerful (14 ohms), can be driven by everything.
- Bass are good, massive but no fine : with the amp, it can be too much on some bassy mixes, so you have to play with and without)
- Soundstage is not bad even it is not precise.
- Speed is ot bad
- A certain sens of detail
- Flattering sound make them for people who want to just enjoy the sound without analizing it and having audiophile experience

I would be not surprise D401 can be even better with a little mojo or even a better amp.

Amusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back