Denon AH-D2000 in the house
Jun 9, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #391 of 933
I'm wondering what folks think of Hornet+D2000. Silverrain said it was acceptable, but I'm wondering if the beefy bass of the Hornet will put the beefy bass of the D2000 over the edge at all? I suppose there's always EQ to the rescue, but what are your thoughts?

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #392 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the DT990s, which in another thread I stated, would be wholly unpleasing being driven from most pedestrian S.C.s . Whereas I suspected as with my RS-2s, because of their efficiency and likewise impact/punchyness, sweet hfs , the D-2000s would be my suggestion for this stated purpose, amongst the $300 tier of phone choices. My 990s as well as all my other phones are craptastic from the shuffle or my pedestrian P.C. S.C.!!!

Yes, I can recommend the D-2000s to be without any faults of these other phones, when driven by a lappy audio out, to be a pleasing experience, based upon my similar experiences
wink.gif

Best regards~

What model DT990s do you have? I've got a pair of 2005 250ohm DT990s coming in that I'm going to compare to the D2000. What do you think of the DT990 vs. D2000? I hope my M^3 doesn't sound too warm for the D2000.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #393 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, has anyone had several amps to demo these on to trying and find what they synergize best with?

i asked the same question in another thread. cotdt said d2000 goes best with tubes, esp his beta. if you like tubes, you can ask him.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #394 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the DT990s, which in another thread I stated, would be wholly unpleasing being driven from most pedestrian S.C.s . Whereas I suspected as with my RS-2s, because of their efficiency and likewise impact/punchyness, sweet hfs , the D-2000s would be my suggestion for this stated purpose, amongst the $300 tier of phone choices. My 990s as well as all my other phones are craptastic from the shuffle or my pedestrian P.C. S.C.!!!

Yes, I can recommend the D-2000s to be without any faults of these other phones, when driven by a lappy audio out, to be a pleasing experience, based upon my similar experiences
wink.gif

Best regards~

LOL, Hi-Finthen. My lappy...and my ears...thank you for this pleasant
wink.gif
response.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #395 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What model DT990s do you have? I've got a pair of 2005 250ohm DT990s coming in that I'm going to compare to the D2000. What do you think of the DT990 vs. D2000? I hope my M^3 doesn't sound too warm for the D2000.

DT-990('05e)250ohm here.

Sent the Opera TTVJ audition piece on to the next reviewer a day before these D-2000s arrived here.

My Opera has an ETA of Monday, until then i'm listening to my P.C. S.C., which as I said makes the 990s wholly unlistenable. I loved the synergy between them and the Opera thou....

So, no dice to be able to compare these phones, until after the Operas 100hr break-in period.

I could speculate the 990s to present brightly and the 2000s to present warmly, as a general overview, as you say dictated then by their upstream components. However, I can imagine them to be nice complements from which to choose due to the material played in terms of quality vs genere specific choosing.Poorer recordings would be beter rendered by the 2000s would be my speculation at this point!

Have fun Azure
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #396 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i asked the same question in another thread. cotdt said d2000 goes best with tubes, esp his beta. if you like tubes, you can ask him.

Sorta contradictory, since the Beta doesn't have tubes
cool.gif
. I am using a Millet right now, and I think it drives them pretty well. I do like tubes. I am trying to secure a Melos right now, so here's to hoping they sound good with that.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #400 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering what folks think of Hornet+D2000. Silverrain said it was acceptable, but I'm wondering if the beefy bass of the Hornet will put the beefy bass of the D2000 over the edge at all? I suppose there's always EQ to the rescue, but what are your thoughts?

Nope -- the Hornet bass is no way over the edge -- it is very good, in fact.
It just doesn't have the same bass as my Meier amp -- close, but not identical -- but still GOOD.
If I did NOT have the Meier amp to compare with, the Hornet amp would still have me happy as a pig in mud with my D2000.
No boomy, bloated, or any other "bad-name" bass with the Hornet-D2000 combo.
It' just that the more-$$$$ Meier amp is even better! As it should be.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #401 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I consider the D2000 to be the closed version of the 05 DT990.
Rather similar. Not identical. Edge goes to D2000.
I could happily switch between them with out feeling cheated -- but will pick up the D2000 if both are laying there....
So, if you like the 05 DT990, but sometimes wish you had a closed can for whatever reason -- your D2000 ship just came in! Or vice-versa.

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #403 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes me want to hear a 600 ohm DT990.

I haven't heard either Denon, but they sound very nice. I just recently received my 600 ohm DT990's with balanced dual entry cables, and they are fantastic! I really love these headphones! They make my classic rock collection sound great, but I'm finding I really like them with many other genres as well.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #405 of 933
Finally received all my orders:
K701, Denon D2000, RSA Hornet, Turbodock and mini cable and a K81dj. What can I say....Thank you head-fi for all the inputs and reviews. All itens are superb!! And I really mean that.

I listen to rock, jazz, hip-hop, blues, musicals, acoustic compilations, and they all sound excelent. Comparing D2000 with K701 I think they are both amazing headphones, of course they have their diferences basically on the more bass less bass comparison, and openess and closeness that make them apart and unique.

K701 has bass, a more ambient and "acoustic sound" (it always seem to me the band is playing live) and excelent vocals. The bass of the D2000 as mentioned is excelent and gives that punch the K701 "lacks", but on the K701 i feel you can listen to more details in the diferent instruments. On some of my albusn and musics I prefer the D200 in others the K701. I was not used to the open headphones and found they amazing. As I really love acoustic sounds, and my overall vote therefore is for the K701 as a all around winner and better suited for most of the songs i listen. But not to the level to geopardize the D2000 which has the advantages of punch and of being a closed headphone, ideal for not disturbing the familly and close encounters in games, explosions and so for.

My veredict, K701 is a must have headphone, if i had to choose between both i would go for the K701. But as I have use for both and loved the bass of the D2000 and its usefullness i will keep them happly with me as two different lovers. When i get "tired" of the blond I just switch for the brunet. hhmmm how i envy the sultans and their harens.... hehe

Ah, I tested them listening to Red hot chilli pepers, Moby, Jack Johnson, Radiohead, Black eye peas, Robert cray, Miles Davis, Les Miserables Musical and acoustic DVD shows of Coldplay and the Cramberries. The phones have around 20 hours of burning only. Let you know more information when they get to 150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back