Denon AH-D2000 in the house
Jun 9, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #376 of 933
Okay, I bit the bullet and ordered the D2000. I also bought a pair of DT990s from form the FS forums. So, I'll eventually post my impressions of D2000 vs. DT990 vs. SA5000, and I'll sell the losers to help fund my source upgrade
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #377 of 933
Ok, a few more impressions:

The biggest strength is without a doubt how well these cans handle percussion. I think a part of that is merely because of the fact that they are closed, but these headphones have a thump to them unlike any I have ever heard. They also have some excellently crisp highs, which make cymbals sound fantastic.

All around, the resolution here is great. I am hearing every single detail. Some songs it is like I am hearing them for the first time. If I could find a single complaint, it is that the midrange seems ever so slightly veiled. Again, I think that is mostly attested to a closed design. However, in most cases, it is not something that bothers me. I have found though, it is more obvious on poorer recordings.

The biggest thing with these is putting them head to head against my MS-2i. They fall into the same price point, and the MS-2i has been a can I have cherished since the day I got it. Well, the MS-2i seems to have a bit brighter, clearer midrange, but the buck stops there. The bass feels positively weak in the MS-2i compared to the D2000. Also, don't even get me started on comfort. I love Grados, but I hate bowls. I don't think i've ever been able to make it even 2 hours, usually less than an hour, and some times I just can't bring myself to wear them at all (thats what my Sennheisers were mostly for). The Denon's, however, are bare none the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. The leather pads are wonderful, and the headband is deliciously soft. They are rather lighter than I expected too, for how metal is on them. I have had them on for about 4 hours now without an ounce of fatigue or discomfort.

Also, a few people mentioned gaming, so I will address that as well. I always prefered a closed can to an open one for gaming, so we are off to a good start. In addition, I already addressed the comfort, something equally important for gaming. So far, we have a winner then? Well, how about sound? Yeah, they win there too. Their excellent boomy bass make them a perfect match for first person shooters. Every time I shoot a gun in CSS and it rattles my brain, I can't help but smile. They exercise some pretty damn good sound stage too, another plus.

They all around just feel very right. They have single handedly dethroned three other pairs of headphones. I had MS-2i's for music, A700's for gaming, and HD580's as my comfort/potpourri cans. All of those are now useless. I sold the A700 and HD580 which have in effect paid for these Denons. I am going to keep the MS-2i for a while before I decide to sell them, as I do still really like those headphones, I just like the Denons better. Bottom line, I think these are perhaps the most enjoyable headphones I have ever owned, and I don't see myself getting rid of them... ever. I am going to be putting silver on them, probably tonight. I look forward to finding out what that does for them.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #378 of 933
I just couldn't take it. I caved in. $284 shipped from PriceJapan. They said they would ship in 2 hrs, and that I should get it on Monday or Tuesday (from now, Friday night). I can't wait to hear them with my RSA amps.

Sounds like a steal...

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #379 of 933
Denon with D2000 definitely set a new standard for under $300 closed cans.
I also kind of like their idea on encouraging those who cares on recabling, esp. considering that it cuts the production cost and retail price.
As no matter how high end and great our cans are stock, we still want to improve them.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #381 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you detecting any sort of "veil" in the highs, perhaps akin to your HD580?

No veil in mine -- that word is an oxymoron when used with D2000.
But, I don't really hear a veil in my hd580, either -- but the D2000 is better sounding to me -- more detail, and even clearer highs,, even though the hd580 is excellent itself. Which is why so many peeps own them.
Both have a nice mids, but the D2000 is slightly better -- female vocals, instrumentals, anything you throw at it, comes out sounding good! YUM!
And if you try a D2000, then you will want to own one too.

FWIW -- got mine within 5 days from Audio Cubes.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #382 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered them from A.C. Tuesday, and they arrived today
wink.gif

Very nice presentation indeed, with jazz, and this is just from my PC soundcard 1/4", cannot wait till I plug these into the Corda Opera, ETA any day now
wink.gif

You are gonna love it from the Opera -- mine really sing with my HA-2 MKII SE which is another of the Meier amp family for those that didn't already know.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #383 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a lick. I've already arranged to sell my 580's to a friend... I have no need for them anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
. If anything, I would say the midrange seems very slightly veiled, but that could very well be my imagination. We will see if that changes with a new cable.

So far though, I just absolutely love them. This is the first time I have ever heard a headphone I have preferred over my Grado's... and that is saying something
tongue.gif

Mine opened up after 100+ hours of steady burn-in.
Don't judge just out-of-the-box sound -- let them loosen up some before turning them loose!
Like a thouroughbred racehorse.
After burn-in, they took off -- and none of my other cans can catch them -- open or closed, doesn't matter. Whoo-hoo! Good, tight, bass, without overwhelming -- mids galore! -- extreme details, with no harshness! I understand the lyrics -- hear the breathiness intakes -- all of it!
Works well with any amp I use, too.
Better go now....
Gotta date with Teresa Teng as soon as I log off here.
And Dolores O'riordan (former Cranberries singer -- now new solo album).
(Last seen digging out all his best/favorite CD's for a "new" listen)

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #384 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't judge just out-of-the-box sound -- let them loosen up some before turning them loose!

Oh I fully plan to continue with new impressions as burn in occurs.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #386 of 933
Quote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone had several amps to demo these on to trying and find what they synergize best with?

I did -- tried with 4 amps -- clear winner was Meier HA-2 MKII SE, followed (closely) by the HR Desktop (Home module), Hornet, and Tomahawk.
Any one of the amps by itself would work just fine -- but with direct comparison, the Meier heads the pack with the D2000.
Never tried that comparo with any other can -- if I ever do, I will post it.
Haven't tried the Max or Total Airhead yet.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #387 of 933
Quote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone had several amps to demo these on to trying and find what they synergize best with?

I've tested the Denons with several amps.
AT HA2002,Rudistor RPX 33 dualmono,Meier Audio Corda Opera, Rudistor RP31 and the HA2 built into my Benchmark DAC.
In that order, but IME the Denons aren't that dependant on amplification.
I could live with any of those amps although the Audio Technica was really great and the Benchmark was just sufficient.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #388 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After burn-in, they took off -- and none of my other cans can catch them -- open or closed, doesn't matter. Whoo-hoo! Good, tight, bass, without overwhelming -- mids galore! -- extreme details, with no harshness! I understand the lyrics -- hear the breathiness intakes -- all of it!
Works well with any amp I use, too.
Better go now....
Gotta date with Teresa Teng as soon as I log off here.
And Dolores O'riordan (former Cranberries singer -- now new solo album).
(Last seen digging out all his best/favorite CD's for a "new" listen)

I have to agree with silverrain and say that you really, REALLY need to let them burn in. Let me try and explain how much this affects the sound.... When i first got them, i was a bit disapointed with the high end, above 4khz. I had to push up 5khz and 10khz on winamp about 1.5db and 3.0 db get them to open up the top end. The bass was also too boomy... i had to take 1.5db down around 180hz and 300hz to prevent everything from sounding all rumbly.

After just one night (16 hours) of continuous white noise, pink noise, and tone sweeps, the highs had opened up a bit but i was still giving them about 0.5 and 1.5 db boosts around 5khz and 10khz. There was still too much low end... like a sub-woofer turned up too high. After about 3 nights of burn in, the bass has finally leveled out. The highs are no longer neededing a boost, but i still want to give them time to further open up. I can now play them with no EQ enabled, however, i still like to give the 10khz a little 1.5db boost for sone songs. I'm sure that will level out in time too.

My point is, for all you who want to just break open the box, listen for 1 hour and then post your review... just hold off a bit... the sound will change by the end of the first week. You might be surpirized at how much it will change over a 100 hour burn in process.

This is my first post, and i'd like to post more about my first impressions of the ah-d2000. By the way, i'm using the 01 Headphone Amp that skylab sold me on this board. thanks skylab! I love this amp!

this is the amp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9204&rd=1&rd=1

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #389 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ well I'm pleasently impressed with the D2000s abilities driven straight from my PC , and also from the Shuffle...

Ya, this is what I'm wondering. Would the D2000 be a pleasant experience un-amped- run straight out of my laptop?

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #390 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhumur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, this is what I'm wondering. Would the D2000 be a pleasant experience un-amped- run straight out of my laptop?

I also have the DT990s, which in another thread I stated, would be wholly unpleasing being driven from most pedestrian S.C.s . Whereas I suspected as with my RS-2s, because of their efficiency and likewise impact/punchyness, sweet hfs , the D-2000s would be my suggestion for this stated purpose, amongst the $300 tier of phone choices. My 990s as well as all my other phones are craptastic from the shuffle or my pedestrian P.C. S.C.!!!

Yes, I can recommend the D-2000s to be without any faults of these other phones, when driven by a lappy audio out, to be a pleasing experience, based upon my similar experiences
wink.gif

Best regards~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back