Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 14, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,126 of 1,845
Man, it's so long, who remembers. But I believe he's one of the guys Zach originally sent the Atrium to for review.
I think Denafrips has some amps now, the product line is expanding from when I last saw the site. Lots of cool stuff.

Probably a more interesting (and more expensive) comparison would be DDCs, DACs and amps from both companies. I don't mean all the permutations, but something like

Denafrips Hermes + Pontus II or Terminator + whatever amp vs. Audio-gd DI-20HE + R7 MK2 + whatever amp. Ok, one variation is headamp or integrated over speakers.

I'll buy the popcorn!

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #1,127 of 1,845
Recently got my Pontus 2 and have been putting in some burn in time on it. First impression is very positive. Very clean sound yet still natural sounding. Trying to put a finger on the difference between the NOS and OS modes. So far I only tested NOS vs OS with Slow filter. On NOS, I feel the performance is a little more forward sounding, the vocal mids are more pronounced, but seems to shrink the stage depth. Where as OS Slow filter, its a bit more relaxed, performance is less upfront and vocal mids are not as pronounced and seem to have a bit more depth to the stage. Not sure which one I prefer yet. Does anyone hear the same as me?

Still need to let it burn in more and still need to try out the OS Fast filter and see what I like more.

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #1,128 of 1,845
Recently got my Pontus 2 and have been putting in some burn in time on it. First impression is very positive. Very clean sound yet still natural sounding. Trying to put a finger on the difference between the NOS and OS modes. So far I only tested NOS vs OS with Slow filter. On NOS, I feel the performance is a little more forward sounding, the vocal mids are more pronounced, but seems to shrink the stage depth. Where as OS Slow filter, its a bit more relaxed, performance is less upfront and vocal mids are not as pronounced and seem to have a bit more depth to the stage. Not sure which one I prefer yet. Does anyone hear the same as me?

Still need to let it burn in more and still need to try out the OS Fast filter and see what I like more.

Initial impressions were hard to discern for me, it’s slight and some can’t even hear it al all. I would say my impressions were similar to yours in the beginning. After full burn in, it was more pronounced to me. NOS was more natural, more analog sounding, better timbre. OS may have had slightly better imaging but it sounded more digital. Also I upsample in HQP so NOS is the clear winner for me.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,129 of 1,845
Thanks for your feedback. What sampling rate do you upsample to using the HQ Player? I assume you are using PC or MAC as source? Did the Iris make a noticeable difference vs direct USB to the Pontus 2?

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #1,130 of 1,845
Thanks for your feedback. What sampling rate do you upsample to using the HQ Player? I assume you are using PC or MAC as source? Did the Iris make a noticeable difference vs direct USB to the Pontus 2?
For me, the Iris made a noticeable difference--I ran the same USB cable direct to Pontus and then via Iris, I2S. The latter is cleaner sounding with a blacker background.

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #1,131 of 1,845

M1 Mac Mini DSD256 (ASDM7ECV2 modulator). I can handle all but the most intensive filters. Iris limits me to DSD256 but I’d have to invest in a more powerful computer to go DSD512 or DSD1024 with my preferred filters so I’m happy with the M1 as a source.

For me, the Iris made a noticeable difference--I ran the same USB cable direct to Pontus and then via Iris, I2S. The latter is cleaner sounding with a blacker background.

@msing539 is spot on here. I did the same experiment and had the same results. Once you add the Iris over I2S it’s a significant improvement

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #1,132 of 1,845
What brand model USB and HDMI cables are you using with the Iris/Pontus2 ? I currently have a AQ Carbon, I might need to invest in a nicer USB and HDMI cable.

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #1,133 of 1,845
What brand model USB and HDMI cables are you using with the Iris/Pontus2 ? I currently have a AQ Carbon, I might need to invest in a nicer USB and HDMI cable.

I’m using one of these (which I’ll actually have listed for sale in the classified in a day or two since I’ll be swapping it out for a Wireworld Starlight).

https://www.amazon.com/Oyaide-NEO-USB-Class-2-0m/dp/B00R2RGYY0

It’s actually a pretty decent USB cable. Mine is rev2. Only reason I’m switching is the rest of my chain is Wireworld interconnects. Specs are similar to the Wireworld and they are both flat. If you think you might want it lmk and I’ll ping you when it’s listed.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,134 of 1,845
I’m using one of these (which I’ll actually have listed for sale in the classified in a day or two since I’ll be swapping it out for a Wireworld Starlight).

https://www.amazon.com/Oyaide-NEO-USB-Class-2-0m/dp/B00R2RGYY0

It’s actually a pretty decent USB cable. Mine is rev2. Only reason I’m switching is the rest of my chain is Wireworld interconnects. Specs are similar to the Wireworld and they are both flat. If you think you might want it lmk and I’ll ping you when it’s listed.
Thanks for letting me know. But I need to let my wallet have a rest and recover for a bit. I also need to let the Pontus fully burn in and assess its audio profile within my setup before adding new cables.

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #1,135 of 1,845
Anyone using an Android phone or tablet as source with USB Audio Player Pro music app to the Pontus 2 while upsampling 44.1 khz wav file to maximum 1411.2 khz with the app? I am not able to get audio playing from Pontus 2 on NOS nor OS mode. Not sure why.

I am able to hear audio play on Pontus 2 when I upsample to 352.8 khz, but not anything higher. The Pontus LEDs show that I am on 44.1 khz input and the 4x and 8x leds light up when I attempt to upsample to 1411.2 khz on the music app, so it acknowledges the sample rate but not playing any audio. Wonder if anyone experienced this with similar set up as mine.

Jul 21, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #1,136 of 1,845
Anyone using an Android phone or tablet as source with USB Audio Player Pro music app to the Pontus 2 while upsampling 44.1 khz wav file to maximum 1411.2 khz with the app? I am not able to get audio playing from Pontus 2 on NOS nor OS mode. Not sure why.

I am able to hear audio play on Pontus 2 when I upsample to 352.8 khz, but not anything higher. The Pontus LEDs show that I am on 44.1 khz input and the 4x and 8x leds light up when I attempt to upsample to 1411.2 khz on the music app, so it acknowledges the sample rate but not playing any audio. Wonder if anyone experienced this with similar set up as mine.
Try to connect using self powered USB 2.0 hub.

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,137 of 1,845
Try to connect using self powered USB 2.0 hub.
Thanks, I forgot to mention I am using a powered usb hub already. I am thinking its the USB Audio Player Pro app not able to really play 1411.2 khz or maybe not compatible with the Pontus (yet). I'll shoot them an email to confirm.

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #1,138 of 1,845
I've compared 5 USB cables at one time:
  • Generic HP printer cable: Free with printer (to see if USB cables even matter in terms of Sound Quality. This one lasted about 15 minutes in my system before it got put away again)
  • Belkin Gold: $15
  • Pangea Audio Premier SE: $50
  • Shunyata Venom: $100-200
  • Stordiau Phasure Lush: $253

The Stordiau Lush USB cable was by far the best of the bunch. It was both the smoothest sounding as well as the most resolving of the USB cables. My notes on the Stordiau cable:

Stordiau Phasure Lush:
More roundness & presence than the Shunyata cable. Timbres are more clearly audible. Joshua Redman's Saxophone on Chill
Most realistic tones
Has the pace of the Shunyata but with more detail and resolution of timbres
Instruments sounds more like real instruments than representation of instruments. Saxophone in particular has a roundness of tone.
Beautiful, organic sounding tone quality to instruments and voices, but still conveyed the edge in Kurt Cobain's voice better than either the Pangea or Shunyata cables
Most non-fatiguing sound compared to both the Pangea and Shunyata cables

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #1,139 of 1,845
Jul 27, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,140 of 1,845

Users who are viewing this thread

Back