DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Sep 19, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,006 of 1,182
Hello all,
I currently have a Venus 2 with the 12th anniversary Iris. I tried the first Venus upgrade and did not like it. I reverted back to the original firmware and all was good again. Then I purchased the Iris and it screwed up the I2s settings. R-L was reversed an I could not put the Venus in standby. If I did the Venus would be all screwed up again. So I upgraded to the 3rd update and after 200hrs of burn in my system has never sounded this good! very happy with the 3rd version. I am sure the 12th Iris had allot to do with it as well.

Regards
Jeff

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #1,007 of 1,182
I have a similar situation. I have a Pontus2 which is on the original firmware and then recently purchased the Hermes 12th. When I use any digital cable like Optical, Coaxial, and i2s from Hermes 12th to Pontus2, I get a quick pop/click noise randomly on songs. Sounds like surface noise on a dirty vinyl record.

Still trying to troubleshoot this with Vinshine, but my gut feeling is the newer Hermes 12th is not fully tested/optimized with the older Pontus 2 with original firmware.

Anyone experiencing this type of issue with same set up ?

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,009 of 1,182
Why not just install the latest Pontus firmware and see if it helps?
I like the sound of the original firmware on the Pontus2. I would rather see if there is firmware for the Hermes 12th instead. But not going to rule out updating the Pontus2 to v1.4 if nothing else works.

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,010 of 1,182
I like the sound of the original firmware on the Pontus2. I would rather see if there is firmware for the Hermes 12th instead. But not going to rule out updating the Pontus2 to v1.4 if nothing else works.
Alvin mentioned in the most recent 12th anniversary DDC video they wouldn't be upgrading the firmware on the DDC's.

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #1,011 of 1,182
Interesting. Sounds like the old DDC only works with V1.0 DAC, and the new 12th DDC works with DAC running updated firmware, but not backward compatible. You probably should try v1.4 to make sure the new DDC 12th doesn't have a defect, and you may like the sound as well :wink:

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,012 of 1,182
I have a similar situation. I have a Pontus2 which is on the original firmware and then recently purchased the Hermes 12th. When I use any digital cable like Optical, Coaxial, and i2s from Hermes 12th to Pontus2, I get a quick pop/click noise randomly on songs. Sounds like surface noise on a dirty vinyl record.

Still trying to troubleshoot this with Vinshine, but my gut feeling is the newer Hermes 12th is not fully tested/optimized with the older Pontus 2 with original firmware.

Anyone experiencing this type of issue with same set up ?
Are you sure it is the Hermes ?

I have a Metronome DSS and switching from pcm to dsd will not work most often and sometimes, I've got big noise !
It will not work on I2S or Coax (both entries I tested)
Onces in DSD, other dsd tracks are ok until I go to PCM followed by a DSD track again...
Do you have the problem with PCM or DSD ?

Terminator II owner

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,013 of 1,182
Are you sure it is the Hermes ?

I have a Metronome DSS and switching from pcm to dsd will not work most often and sometimes, I've got big noise !
It will not work on I2S or Coax (both entries I tested)
Onces in DSD, other dsd tracks are ok until I go to PCM followed by a DSD track again...
Do you have the problem with PCM or DSD ?

Terminator II owner
Yes, its the Hermes 12th not playing nice with Pontus2. I had no issues using Pontus2 via USB from source (Android phone) without the Hermes DDC. I only listen to PCM files.

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,014 of 1,182
Hey guys,

not exactly 12th firmware related:
My Venus II has an issue.
From time to time the left channel has some distortion.
I use it in OS mode, fed via Gaia / I2S. Problem was there also when fed via USB directly via streamer.

Observations:
a) Switching to NOS mode instantly removes the distortion. Switching back to OS mode - and the distortion is back.
b) anything I tried (switching through different modes, inputs, ...) does not seem to help.
c) Switching into stand-by and On again doesn't help.
d) Only AC power cycle helps.

Anybody else with this observation?
Again, just to avoid confusion - the issue was occasionally there with the factory 2022 firmware, so it does not seem to be a 12th firmware issue.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,016 of 1,182
Don't have any of those items (yet) so can't speak on your issues, but have you contacted Denafrips support and asked about your issue?
... not yet, will do so along with an audio sample the next time it occurs.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,017 of 1,182
*Deleted*

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #1,019 of 1,182
Hey guys,

not exactly 12th firmware related:
My Venus II has an issue.
From time to time the left channel has some distortion.
I use it in OS mode, fed via Gaia / I2S. Problem was there also when fed via USB directly via streamer.

Observations:
a) Switching to NOS mode instantly removes the distortion. Switching back to OS mode - and the distortion is back.
b) anything I tried (switching through different modes, inputs, ...) does not seem to help.
c) Switching into stand-by and On again doesn't help.
d) Only AC power cycle helps.

Anybody else with this observation?
Again, just to avoid confusion - the issue was occasionally there with the factory 2022 firmware, so it does not seem to be a 12th firmware issue.
Hi !

Is it distorsion or "white" noise ?
I've got a few times white noise resolved using following action.
- Did you try switching into stand-by mode + unplug/plugin the I2S cable ?

Oct 11, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,020 of 1,182
Hi !

Is it distorsion or "white" noise ?
I've got a few times white noise resolved using following action.
- Did you try switching into stand-by mode + unplug/plugin the I2S cable ?
Hi,
it sounds like a bad radio reception... so no constant white noise overlay, but some "defect".
Next time it occurs I'll record an audio sample, and hopefully also try to dis- and reconnect the input cable.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back