DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
May 18, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #541 of 1,181
Pontus II can't wake up from standby after a failed FPGA firmware update to version 1.4.
I completely failed today while updating the FPGA from version 1.3 to version 1.4. My initial FPGA upgrade went smoothly. On a different PC, though, the flushing software started but ended with an error message when I tried it today. When I switch the DAC back on after it has been turned off, it is still in standby mode and not responding.
Any assistance or knowledge would be greatly appreciated in this case.
Did you check if Windows still recognizes it if you press MODE? Maybe it is not bricked

I almost fked up when I downloaded 1.4 for the other FPGA version then rechecked and downloaded the right one, you downloaded the right one yes?

Edit: You might wanna talk to Alvin/Denafrips and ask them if they could help you if you buy a JTAG 10 pin development/programmer board so you could revive it without sending the Pontus

Kit-de-placa-base-de-desarrollo-FPGA-ALTERA-CYCLONE-IV-EP4CE-EP4CE6F17C8-USB-Blaster-JTAG-c.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #542 of 1,181
Speakers here, too. Mercury Streamer=> I²S => Pontus II
I am using a supercharged Schiit Freya+ in tube mode with a McIntosh MC152 power Amp…I went back to V1.0. I found V1.3 to be way too bright "for me". I am hanging in the wings smiling….to see what others think.
It seems that after a few days some are coming back to V1.0… I may not bother trying V1.4……
sounds like you are kind of on the fence? Sometimes it takes about a week to decide if the overall sound is fatiguing…..
Nice to hear that you like the Pi2 Design product too. I have RPi4 with the Pi2AES hat and I am happy with it since day 1. As pre-amplifier, I have 2 in cascade: Schiit Vali II and the Topping Pre90; Vali 2, just to provide me the tube flavor which I like. Topping Pre90 is one of the most neutral preamp’s I’ve tried. For the power amp, I’m using Starkrimson Ultra, which has GaN FET’s.
Regarding the Pontus II, I would keep the 1.3 if it was not the micro skips. After updating to 1.4 I’ve experienced micro glitches during the first 2 days. After the run-in, it seems to be fine now, with no issues at all. I’ll keep the 1.4 if no problems rise during the next week or so.

May 18, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #543 of 1,181
Pontus II can't wake up from standby after a failed FPGA firmware update to version 1.4.
I completely failed today while updating the FPGA from version 1.3 to version 1.4. My initial FPGA upgrade went smoothly. On a different PC, though, the flushing software started but ended with an error message when I tried it today. When I switch the DAC back on after it has been turned off, it is still in standby mode and not responding.
Any assistance or knowledge would be greatly appreciated in this case.
It sounds as though the DAC is “bricked”, I ended up in the same place. If you contact Denafrips(Europe in my case) they advise a pretty basic “test” sequence to help determine the state of the DAC. If it is indeed “bricked” all is not lost. They have a very helpful policy/procedure to help you.

May 18, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #544 of 1,181
Did you check if Windows still recognizes it if you press MODE? Maybe it is not bricked

I almost fked up when I downloaded 1.4 for the other FPGA version then rechecked and downloaded the right one, you downloaded the right one yes?

Edit: You might wanna talk to Alvin/Denafrips and ask them if they could help you if you buy a JTAG 10 pin development/programmer board so you could revive it without sending the Pontus

Kit-de-placa-base-de-desarrollo-FPGA-ALTERA-CYCLONE-IV-EP4CE-EP4CE6F17C8-USB-Blaster-JTAG-c.jpg
Yet another reason to stay with V1.0!!!! :xf_cool: :deadhorse:

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #545 of 1,181
Yet another reason to stay with V1.0!!!! :xf_cool: :deadhorse:
"If it works, don't touch it" Hhahahaha, I love touching, breaking and fixing, my way of learning!

PD: Enjoying all night with 1.0, smooth like butter

May 18, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #546 of 1,181
I have been sitting here on the sidelines patiently awaiting any updates for my Ares2 and I really appreciate everyone's viewpoint on these new firmware. I also reverted back from 1.6 to original to 1.0 firmware for the "Magic", and I also experienced occasional micro glitches in version 1.6.

For me there is just something about the original 1.0 sound/presentation of this Dac that is very captivating, a richness in harmonics with great room ambience. Somehow after going back from 1.6 to version 1.0, I seem to enjoy it even more. What Alvin and Vinshine Audio have done has made it very easy for me to see my future DAC upgrade path and I commend him and his team.

May 18, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #547 of 1,181
Speakers here, too. Mercury Streamer=> I²S => Pontus II
I am using a supercharged Schiit Freya+ in tube mode with a McIntosh MC152 power Amp…I went back to V1.0. I found V1.3 to be way too bright "for me". I am hanging in the wings smiling….to see what others think.
It seems that after a few days some are coming back to V1.0… I may not bother trying V1.4……
sounds like you are kind of on the fence? Sometimes it takes about a week to decide if the overall sound is fatiguing…..
You're going to want to try it. I have a feeling some are not going to agree with me on this but in my system 1.0 is brighter than 1.4. I am not saying 1.0 is bright, but 1.4 is smoother and more refined in the treble. I noticed that there is less fatigue to my ears especially with higher pitched strings and higher keys on a piano. My speakers are Usher Dancer Mini-X with diamond encrusted metal domes and they are smooth yet revealing. I also run a tube preamp. Right now I am preferring 1.4 to 1.0 in my system but I'll switch back soon and compare.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #548 of 1,181
You're going to want to try it. I have a feeling some are not going to agree with me on this but in my system 1.0 is brighter than 1.4. I am not saying 1.0 is bright, but 1.4 is clearly smoother and more refined in the treble. I noticed that there is less fatigue to my ears especially with higher pitched strings and higher keys on a piano. My speakers are Usher Dancer Mini-X with diamond encrusted metal domes and they are smooth yet revealing. I also run a tube preamp. Right now I am preferring 1.4 to 1.0 in my system but I'll switch back soon and compare.
I agree, I will try as soon as one is available for my Aries2 and I appreciate your thoughts.

May 18, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #549 of 1,181

I appreciate your counsel and reaction. For me, it appears like "ALTERA USB Blaster Mini USB Cable 10 Pin JTAG Connection Cable for CPLD FPGA NIOS JTAG Programmer" would be a decent alternative. Visit this website at https://udvabony.com/product/usb-blaster-fpga-programmer/ to learn more. It is accessible here, and it appears that if we obtain the instructions, we might reprogram the FPGA board.
I sent @alvin1118 an email and am awaiting a response.

Without music, weekends here are incredibly frustrating for me. Anyway, I want to express my sincere gratitude to all the kind souls who are attempting to assist me.

May 18, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #550 of 1,181
A long time ago I read reviews that said Pontus is the odd one out within Denafrips dac family. While every one else are tuned for audiophilic characteristics, Pontus is tuned for being more analog (or musical?) sounding - darker, warmer, thicker. It's easy to get addicted to it. I think the new firmwares tries to bring it in line with the others but it looks like many of us (including me) prefer the old one.

May 19, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #551 of 1,181
I've reverted to v1.0 for my Pontus 12th. I thought at first that 1.4 was spot on, but with time the brightness was fatiguing.

I would compare it to an over-hopped IPA. Wonderful for the first couple of sips, but by the time you're halfway down the glass the bitterness is dominant and unpalatable.

May 19, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #552 of 1,181
A long time ago I read reviews that said Pontus is the odd one out within Denafrips dac family. While every one else are tuned for audiophilic characteristics, Pontus is tuned for being more analog (or musical?) sounding - darker, warmer, thicker. It's easy to get addicted to it. I think the new firmwares tries to bring it in line with the others but it looks like many of us (including me) prefer the old one.
Interesting….I have not heard this before……

May 19, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #553 of 1,181
I agree, I will try as soon as one is available for my Aries2 and I appreciate your thoughts.
Fully agree! In my previous comment I've written that I feel 1.4 on P2 brighter, but the right word would be more accurate and more refined highs. I guess it depends on each person's system, and more important than that, each person's preferences.

May 19, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #554 of 1,181
I appreciate your counsel and reaction. For me, it appears like "ALTERA USB Blaster Mini USB Cable 10 Pin JTAG Connection Cable for CPLD FPGA NIOS JTAG Programmer" would be a decent alternative. Visit this website at https://udvabony.com/product/usb-blaster-fpga-programmer/ to learn more. It is accessible here, and it appears that if we obtain the instructions, we might reprogram the FPGA board.
I sent @alvin1118 an email and am awaiting a response.

Without music, weekends here are incredibly frustrating for me. Anyway, I want to express my sincere gratitude to all the kind souls who are attempting to assist me.
Anytime sir, I hope you can get it working asap

May 19, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #555 of 1,181
You're going to want to try it. I have a feeling some are not going to agree with me on this but in my system 1.0 is brighter than 1.4. I am not saying 1.0 is bright, but 1.4 is smoother and more refined in the treble. I noticed that there is less fatigue to my ears especially with higher pitched strings and higher keys on a piano. My speakers are Usher Dancer Mini-X with diamond encrusted metal domes and they are smooth yet revealing. I also run a tube preamp. Right now I am preferring 1.4 to 1.0 in my system but I'll switch back soon and compare.
I am introducing a Beatechnik LHY SW-8 Network Switch into my system 2moro….so I want to digest that change for a week or two…but from what I am reading here…I really think that I will just stick with firmware v1.0 in my Pontus II…Too much "clarity" just takes away from the "musical" experience "for me". It defeats the reason I came to an R2R DAC in the first place. Thankfully, each of us has all these choices with one DAC and can match-up what works best for one's preferences and system. That's GREAT! 👍🏼

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back