Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Apr 6, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #346 of 364
Hi, not exactly clear on your question, but If you're talking about getting the Ares DAC, you WILL NEED a power cord to power the unit.

Can't speak for the Ares, but both my Pontus, and Artemis headphone Amp direct from Vinshine Audio (official vendor) did not come with a power cord (they believe some will use better cables, and why they don't send). At any rate you will have to supply your own power cord.

But the bottom line is you will need a power cord. You can buy one online for your region or find one at one of your local retailers.

Did this answer your question?
understood, thanks -- I'm a little new to this so apologies for stupid question, but I'm guessing if I buy the 230V unit, I'll need a 230V power cord?

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #348 of 364
Unlike their more expensive DACs, Denafrips does include a power cord with the Ares 12th-1, as indicated on the Vinshine website. However, I have no idea if they supply a region specific cord. I'm in the US and received a US compatible cord, but I don't recall that this was an option in the order process (unless it is keyed to shipping address). Shoot a message to Vinshine owner Alvin Chee; he's very accommodating and should let you know anything you need.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #349 of 364
Unlike their more expensive DACs, Denafrips does include a power cord with the Ares 12th-1, as indicated on the Vinshine website.

Did you also notice the OP wasn't getting the DAC from Vinshine? And why the question?
I can find this DAC at pretty good prices off aliexpress but I'm mindful of the fact I probably won't get a power cable with a UK plug (from my understanding)...

Also, if you're so sure they ship cords then my question are they only shipping cords with USA units. With that did you note the OP was not a USA resident?

So, when you go "does", that says you know for a fact that all region units ship with cords.
However, I have no idea if they supply a region specific cord. I'm in the US and received a US compatible cord, but I don't recall that this was an option in the order process (unless it is keyed to shipping address). Shoot a message to Vinshine owner Alvin Chee; he's very accommodating and should let you know anything you need.
And if Vinshine "does" ship power cords with their Ares DACs, then I see zero reason why they would NOT have power cords for all regions. And especially since you say the info is on their website!

That said, and again, the OP is not getting the unit from Vinshie, which they should as Vinshine clearly states units not sold by them will not be receive warranty service.

But yes, not all come with power cords; both my Pontus, and headphone amp did not come with a power cord, however, my Iris DDC did come with one, so... and yeah. And I'm in the US also.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #350 of 364
Did you also notice the OP wasn't getting the DAC from Vinshine? And why the question?

Also, if you're so sure they ship cords then my question are they only shipping cords with USA units. With that did you note the OP WAS NOT a USA resident?

So, when you go "does", that says you know for a fact that all region units ship with cords.

And if Vinshine "does" ship power cords with their Iris DACs, then I see zero reason why they would NOT have power cords for all regions. And especially since you say the info is on their website!

But as I said, both my Pontus, and headphone amp did not come with a power cord, my DDC did come with one, so... and yeah, I'm in the US also.
I've never seen anyone trying to be helpful get such a rude response (and that's being charitable) on this site. I'm not sure this deserves any response, but--I did not imagine receiving a power cord with the Ares I ordered from Vinshine, the Vinshine website describes the box as containing "DAC & Power Cord," and I did know that the poster was from the UK, which is why I mentioned I was unsure if they supplied region specific power cords. You're right, though, I missed that the poster was not receiving the Ares through Vinshine. Mea culpa. I won't respond to your inevitably nasty response.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #353 of 364
I've never seen anyone trying to be helpful get such a rude response (and that's being charitable) on this site. I'm not sure this deserves any response, but--I did not imagine receiving a power cord with the Ares I ordered from Vinshine, the Vinshine website describes the box as containing "DAC & Power Cord," and I did know that the poster was from the UK, which is why I mentioned I was unsure if they supplied region specific power cords. You're right, though, I missed that the poster was not receiving the Ares through Vinshine. Mea culpa. I won't respond to your inevitably nasty response.
I was also a little taken aback by that response, it seemed completely unnecessary. I wasn't aware Vinshine was an option and similarly they do free UK shipping (which is actually surprisingly difficult to find for this model in particular, as all the European versions seem to understandably only ship to countries in EU and thus EU plugs... thanks Brexit!) -- the price is significantly higher than what I can find on Aliexpress, but by that I mean it's at its standard retail cost. It might be worth paying the extra just to have piece of mind, but I'll have to do a bit more consideration about it. Many thanks!

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #354 of 364
That fact that some feel the reply was rude, does not make the rely rude. Movin on from that.

Anyway....

Vinshine Audio Pte Ltd (Singapore) is working actively to combat grey market dealers. This is not just for the interest of our loyal customers, who rely on the high quality products and services they expect from Vinshine Audio; it also protects our company, our brand, our colleagues and their jobs.

Products sold through unauthorised sources from eBay/AliExpress/Amazon/any other websites do not carry a warranty from us. We cannot guarantee the unauthorized sources product origin, whether it is previously used, refurbished or counterfeit. The product may not be as described and/or performed as per the product listing.

Please purchase from the authorized source - Vinshine Audio. All products are shipped in manufacturer's original packaging with warranty support.

If you are in doubt, please reach out to us.
Source: Terms & Conditions Vinshine Audio.

It doesn't matter to me, where one gets their products, but be aware Denafrips products purchased outside of Vinshine audio does not carry a warranty. Also know genuine (authorized) Denafrips products come with a warranty card with a registered serial number.

On a side note, @ngohw, that Aune S17 Pro is a nice amp. I looked it up. Many seem impressed with it. If I were still looking for a headphone amp I might consider that unit. Very nice. I think the Ares II would go nice with it.

Good luck.

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #355 of 364
On a side note, @ngohw, that Aune S17 Pro is a nice amp. I looked it up. Many seem impressed with it. If I were still looking for a headphone amp I might consider that unit. Very nice. I think the Ares II would go nice with it.
thanks for the suggestion -- what's the main differences between ares ii and ares 12th-1? are they significant enough to warrant the extra $200?

Apr 7, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #356 of 364
thanks for the suggestion -- what's the main differences between ares ii and ares 12th-1? are they significant enough to warrant the extra $200?
I'm never one to tell anyone how to spend their money, so that decision will have to be up to you based on what you want and like about a product.

That said, Would I get that one? If hadn't chosen the Denafrips Pontus, yes, because it's the latest, and I like the new design. But that's my money and my likes.

Anyway, here Alvin Chee (Vinshine Audio) showcases the newest Ares II 12th-1 and outlines the differences....

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #357 of 364
I was also a little taken aback by that response, it seemed completely unnecessary. I wasn't aware Vinshine was an option and similarly they do free UK shipping (which is actually surprisingly difficult to find for this model in particular, as all the European versions seem to understandably only ship to countries in EU and thus EU plugs... thanks Brexit!) -- the price is significantly higher than what I can find on Aliexpress, but by that I mean it's at its standard retail cost. It might be worth paying the extra just to have piece of mind, but I'll have to do a bit more consideration about it. Many thanks!
Hi ngohw, here where I live the prices i get from aliexpress are almost the same price as vinshine’s. Vinshine prices are stated in Singapore dollars, but you probably already knew that. Perhaps prices are just very different from country to country. What I liked about buying from Vinshine was the option to prepay the EU taxes directly to them. That spared me the extra time it would have taken for my order to arrive to my country and have to go to through customs, be held in standby until taxes were paid and then sent forward to my address.

I was a bit mad at them for selling me the (then new) 12th version as if nothing was happening, and a couple of weeks after I got mine Denafrips released the 12th-I with the earlier mentioned tweaks on the power supply, silver chassis etc, so the 12th had a very short lifespan, and I was a “lucky” owner of one of them. That said I am very happy with it so I hadn’t given any more thoughts to it

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #358 of 364
Hi ngohw, here where I live the prices i get from aliexpress are almost the same price as vinshine’s. Vinshine prices are stated in Singapore dollars, but you probably already knew that. Perhaps prices are just very different from country to country. What I liked about buying from Vinshine was the option to prepay the EU taxes directly to them. That spared me the extra time it would have taken for my order to arrive to my country and have to go to through customs, be held in standby until taxes were paid and then sent forward to my address.

I was a bit mad at them for selling me the (then new) 12th version as if nothing was happening, and a couple of weeks after I got mine Denafrips released the 12th-I with the earlier mentioned tweaks on the power supply, silver chassis etc, so the 12th had a very short lifespan, and I was a “lucky” owner of one of them. That said I am very happy with it so I hadn’t given any more thoughts to it
Yeah, a lot of people were understandably mad about the quick release of the 12-1 version (that's the one I have), though I think audio quality is pretty much identical; the biggest change is the new aluminum chassis (and the silver color if that's your preference; I took mine in black).

I took a look and some of the AliExpress prices on the Ares are substantially below Vinshine in USD. Personally, if your budget permits, I'd steer clear of AliExpress, which is made up entirely of third party sellers--some are fine but some appear pretty shady and shipping times and customer service can be problematic or worse. Although my budget is always tight, when I bought the Aune S17 Pro amp a few months ago I passed up some enticing deals on AliExpress and bought it at MSRP directly from Aune (unfortunately, there is no authorized Aune dealer in the US AFAIK). Vinshine is a good company to deal with, though I was annoyed that the day after I bought the Ares 12th-1 (for just under $1,000 USD), and without any notice, they charged my debit card about $30 for a foreign exchange rate adjustment fee.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #359 of 364
Vinshine is a good company to deal with, though I was annoyed that the day after I bought the Ares 12th-1 (for just under $1,000 USD), and without any notice, they charged my debit card about $30 for a foreign exchange rate adjustment fee.
That's odd. I went through PayPal, and everything was paid in a single transaction. It looks like I was charged very little, if anything for a conversion fee. I'm in the US.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #360 of 364
That's odd. I went through PayPal, and everything was paid in a single transaction. It looks like I was charged very little, if anything for a conversion fee. I'm in the US.
Upon reflection, maybe this charge was initiated by my bank for some reason and not Vinshine, though they were the payee. TBH, I don't know but was upset at the time, especially since there are times that an unexpected $30 charge could overdraw my checking account, though luckily not that time..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back