Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Oct 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #571 of 1,238
Well the CSP2+ has been updated to "Packed" at Decware.....We are now at 3 months from order date....

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #572 of 1,238
Hi Eric, oh - this explains your good luck - I didn't realise you bought Frank's Taboo!

I agree completely when you write "It's comforting to know that with similar, possibly identical setups, our conclusions are also similar". As well, it speaks for the quality and build-consistency of these amps.

Yes, I have a pair of Tung Sol 5Y3GTs (NOS).

When I put one in the Taboo a few weeks before the CSP2 arrived, the difference was amazing - transparency, immediacy, 'being there'. This seems to apply with several of the 12AT7 or 12AU7 tubes I have. The only one not to 'work' is the stock JJ.

My fave driver is a Brimar military grade CV4033 I got from tubemonger - late 50s IIRC. Btw, all these changes are with the stock power tubes kept the same - they seem pretty good to me.

I have kept the Taboo configured this way ever since. Might experiment with some NOS 5U4Gs in future for the higher voltage points.

So, anyway, why have I not rolled the 2nd 5Y3GT into the CSP2???

Lack of time and an over-cautious approach I guess 
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
I want to be sure I'm in a relaxed, alert state when I start experimenting so I hear exactly what's different. ATM, just too many projects and too much sleep debt!!

Congrats Longbow - surely only days now...

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #573 of 1,238
Quote:

Congrats Longbow - surely only days now...

Thanks AiDee...It was shipped today....Probably arrive just as go out of town on Business Wednesday....
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #574 of 1,238
Quote:

This makes perfect sense Andre. I bought Frank's Taboo and his recommended configuration - Sylvania backplates and Mullard 12AT7 - was what I quickly settled on. I also remember reading that he used a Sylvania 5U4G in his CSP2+ and that he was a big fan of the Genalex 6922, though I'm not sure if these were the CSP2 drivers he used when he had the Taboo. It's comforting to know that with similar, possibly identical setups, our conclusions are also similar. But yeah, transparency, focus and dynamics are the most evident improvements and are readily noticed. Do you have any rectifiers you can swap in your CSP2+? 

Also working well in the csp2 are the matsusita 6922 and Bugle boy 6dj8. Better bass on the Matsusita and more open sound on the bugle Boys. I use the 5U4G Sylvania my favorite rectifier. i have also use 5y3G and Tungsol 5U4G but I prefer the Sylvania 5U4G. I always preferred the Taboo with the csp2 especially on the LCD2 and always preferred the CSP2 to drive the T1 and its still my reference for my HD800. I couldnt imagine using the taboo without the csp2. I was the one who approached Steve to build the headphone stage in the Taboo and Eric has the first one ever built by Decware. I do not use high efficiency speakers nor do I own any planars anymore so the Taboo became redundant for me and I am glad you enjoying the amp. I still love the genelex 6922 tubes and they are battleship tough and last . I am giving them a break as I am rolling tubes again but they still sound great.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #575 of 1,238
Quote:

This makes perfect sense Andre. I bought Frank's Taboo and his recommended configuration - Sylvania backplates and Mullard 12AT7 - was what I quickly settled on. I also remember reading that he used a Sylvania 5U4G in his CSP2+ and that he was a big fan of the Genalex 6922, though I'm not sure if these were the CSP2 drivers he used when he had the Taboo. It's comforting to know that with similar, possibly identical setups, our conclusions are also similar. But yeah, transparency, focus and dynamics are the most evident improvements and are readily noticed. Do you have any rectifiers you can swap in your CSP2+? 

Did you buy high efficiency speakers yet? The Decware speakers look nice. I just dont have a dedicated room anymore.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #576 of 1,238
 Did you buy high efficiency speakers yet? The Decware speakers look nice. I just dont have a dedicated room anymore.

Not yet, still a bit gun shy when it comes to speakers. Frank when you had your Taboo which drivers were you using in the CSP2?

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #577 of 1,238
Frank I, just to be clear, those 6922's are the Golden Lions?

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #580 of 1,238
Has anyone compared 12BH7's to 12AT7's in their Taboo?  I tried a lot of very good 12AU7's but never found one I liked.  I tried an RCA black plate 12BH7 today and liked it a lot.  It will probably sound better with a few more hours on it.  I know a few have had good success with the Mullard or Brimar 12AT7's.  I am curious as to how they compare.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #581 of 1,238
Quote:
Has anyone compared 12BH7's to 12AT7's in their Taboo?  I tried a lot of very good 12AU7's but never found one I liked.  I tried an RCA black plate 12BH7 today and liked it a lot.  It will probably sound better with a few more hours on it.  I know a few have had good success with the Mullard or Brimar 12AT7's.  I am curious as to how they compare.

I did and my favorite tube by far was the Mullard 12AT7 I tried RCA and GE 12BH7 while nice enough not a Mullard 12 AT7

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #583 of 1,238
Frank, is this the 12AT7 that works best for you?

http://tubedepot.com/nos-12at7-mullard.html

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #585 of 1,238
A week later and still I'm enamored with the LCD's via the CSP2/Taboo. There is a presence to the sound, an immediacy, with increased clarity/defined edges. This was missing with the Taboo alone. I didn't feel near enough to the music and the LCD hung back in my queue of headphones. The CSP2+ has brought a magnification to the music that is difficult to describe, but easy to emotionally revel in. I still believe the LCD's rock best to indie stuff: Silver Jews, Wolf Parade, Sufjan Stevens, The National, PJ Harvey - but I could have used AD2000's or RS1's with the same music almost interchangeably. It's a little different now and I'm growing attached to this can, where previous I felt it was an underperformer in my stable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back