Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Sep 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #526 of 1,238
Thanks for the insight.  I think it would be fun to try some non-CSP2+ combinations with the Taboo, plus there really is no choice with the 3-4 month wait anyway.  I would definitely make sure the preamp has equivalent voltage to the CSP2.  Could be some interesting offerings like Dynaco and Dared tube preamps that I find on Craigslist.  

Quote:
Well, I mentioned once before I tried my HFA 'Silver' tube preamp with Taboo. Maximum output "30 Volts RMS at clipping" is comparable to the CSP2's 36V (RMS or peak?), which seems like a healthy output power to me!

The combination did not sound good - very flabby and unfocused.

This was early days though. I briefly tried again a month or two ago. I guess the Taboo - its VCAPs burnt in - was much more 'ready': it did a much better job driving my (5 driver, 4-way) speakers this time. The bass was round (not nearly as tight as with the Plinius) and there was noticeable warmth, but altogether it was engagingly musical.

Although I think more efficient, single-driver speakers are probably the Taboo's forté, I could definitely live with this for quiet evening listening sessions.

I don't think I tried the LCD2s or - if I did - there was no 'magic'.

Now I have the CSP2 I will try swapping them round sometime in October and report back.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #527 of 1,238
I don't think the wait is that long now.  I think it is closer to 10 weeks.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #528 of 1,238
Sep 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #530 of 1,238
It is the latest iteration of their original amp. Looks like another winner.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #531 of 1,238
Just sprung for a CSP2+. Was wondering at what output levels do you guys drive your Taboo's? Even after using my Zana Deux as preamp, I do not find the Taboo to be lacking in any way on its own (using LCD's). The differences, if there were any, were subtle and would require an intensity of focus to notice. I'm hoping the CSP2 does provide a SQ gain. I also went overboard and hooked up the Zana to my Beta 22 > HD650. The differences were very noticeable. For the first time I felt the HD650 was overamped, and prefer the Zana on its own. Shockingly though, the HD650's were nearly Grado fast in this setup, which I suppose is a testament to its capable drivers. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #532 of 1,238
The Taboo is promoted by Decware as a Planer amp. I cancelled my Taboo order for now since I am very much enjoying the HD650's and the CSP2+ should be a great paring.

Everything I have read about a CSP2+/Taboo combo would be a great planer HP combo.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #533 of 1,238
I have my TABOO output at 100%, the  volume knob is turned  up all the way.  I control the volume and gain with the CSP2+.  I have roughly 70 hours on the vcaps in the TABOO and I am already very happy with the output to my LCD2 headphones.  I listen at low volume.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #534 of 1,238
How about the variable lineout of the CSP2+? All the way up? 

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #535 of 1,238
Quote:
I have my TABOO output at 100%, the  volume knob is turned  up all the way.  I control the volume and gain with the CSP2+.  I have roughly 70 hours on the vcaps in the TABOO and I am already very happy with the output to my LCD2 headphones.  I listen at low volume.

Why don't you use the fixed volume input on the Taboo so you don't have to go through the signal path that includes the volume control?

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #536 of 1,238
Hey everyone,
I wanted post impressions on some small desktop speakers from decware, Trapeziums.  I have had them now for a little over a month or so and these are wonderful little speakers.  They are really nice size for the computer and also the sound is great imo. lol

I never feel like the bass is bloated even with the setup below being so close to the wall and the mids are just wonderful, especially vocals. The treble is smooth with giving me any listener fatigue.  I live in an apartment so I never go very loud with them but for early mornings and late evenings when things are quieter I can hear how they bring out the music so effortless and and natural more.  These speakers give off a bigger sound than their size dictates and thats running them with my Mini Torii.

Enjoy everyone and grats to all who have been getting products from this wonderful company,  Again just want to mention I have no affiliation with Decware other than buying their stuff.

Tink97

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #537 of 1,238
The variable line out on the CSP2+ you refer to is what I refer to as the 2 output gain controls.  There are gain controls for the inputs too.  I have turned the gain down as the amps have been breaking in.  I sometimes tweek the input and output gain with the volume control of the CSP2+ to get a more appealing sound for me personally.  My TABOO is always turned up full.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #539 of 1,238

I've attached a pdf of the Taboo owner's manual.  It's available on the Decware website, but it can be kinda hard to find (the link is small and in gray text).  On page 6 there's a diagram which labels the direct (non-variable) input.  That will bypass the Taboo's volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back