Debunk the Yamaha MT220 Myth
Jan 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Digital7

Aka: zardak
Hi people!
I'll start-out by saying I'm very disgruntled about the false hype surrounding these headphones, and the hype seems to have gained unjust traction, so i need to do what i can to debunk the misnomers.

This headphone has been, and is being touted nearly everywhere as supremely accurate, and i'm saying it's not true, and although having an initially endearing sound on first listen, they do not deserve the praise that has been heaped on them. Now why am i disgruntled? Because i'm sick to death of all the false reviews out on the net about these headphones.

What i'm seeing here with these dodgy reviews is that even so-called reputable reviewers will say anything just to keep the headphone for free.
They are misleading the public and creating hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash-flow for Yamaha basically by talking out of their ass and deliberately misleading unsuspecting sincere people who are searching for a decent accurate headphone.

Here's Yamaha's own spiel about these headphones with my retort in brackets... "We've applied advanced technology and meticulous adjustment (meaning?) in order to deliver the clearest and most accurate sound (rhetoric designed to persuade the unsuspecting), all to complete the final and most important link in the recording chain - the sound that reaches your ears (vain assertion to cause emotive response from prospective buyers)

I am so incensed by the bullsh_t surrounding these headphones that i need to expose it so that no one else wastes their money like i did. I'm on a medium to low income, so i ain't got money to waste on companies and reviewers pushing their own agenda. A lot of us headfiers and audiophiles are not wealthy, we just take our audio listening more seriously than most, but that is no reason for these companies to talk bullsh_t and to make exaggerated claims and untrue statements about headphones.

Here's what Yamaha says on the box this headphone comes in... "When only the best will do. Yamaha's finest studio monitoring headphone with unparalleled performance. Yamaha MT series deliver faithful ultra-precise accuracy for today's high bitrate production enviroments."

So i'm here to debunk the mythical traction that the Yamaha HTH MT220 has gained, in the same way the Audio Technica ATH M50 managed to find itself miraculously in the limelight for many years and millions of dollars of sales later, apparently continues to do so.

Here is my own appraisal of the Yamaha MT220. It should give you some initial insight about the true character and performance of these headphones just to give you an initial heads-up...

1: Very dark sounding headphones, like you're listening inside a tomb or dungeon.
2: Mediocre soundstage bordering on non-existent, everything hangs around the center spectrum and not much else happening wide-out other than instruments in the mix that have been hard-panned left and right by the song mixing engineer.
3: Bass is reasonably articulate but ultimately boomy and swollen leaking into the lower mids and creating congestion that veils the sound
4: The treble range from 5khz upward has no air or soundstage at all, and is severely lacking the 'natural' snap associated with treble frequencies in this frequency-range
5: Any brightness that does exist sounds metallic, approaching shrill and harsh, but i can say there is no sibilance.
6 Upper midrange is slightly recessed and lacking transparency, which is not helped by the lack of air in the soundstage at the lower treble frequencies
7: Sound details are not as apparent as is touted, an no wonder when one looks at the frequency response charts for this headphone.
8: It is overly warm to the point of annoying, and that is with a neutral amp known for showing clarity and air

And yet at the Yamaha Pro-audio website they dare to claim the following... "They provide faithful, accurate reproduction of high-bitrate, all-digital sound, and with less noise. Specifically, the speaker drivers utilize a copper-clad aluminum wire voice coil. This combination of aluminum wiring coated with copper - features exceptionally good conductivity and light weight, reproducing high-resolution sound with maximum clarity over the full frequency range."

My response... That my friends is untrue! They say "maximum clarity over the full frequency range." It is so easy for them to spout these impressive words, however, based on my own steadfast listening tests with a neutral amp and music i am thoroughly familiar with, these claims are spurious and false.

To sum-up, this headphone displays an overall shrouded and slightly veiled tone with some quirky character flaws which deprive the listener of full listening pleasure regarding the actual tone of the source material, and also precludes the music from shining in all its glory. The sound of the Yamaha MT220 might impress an amateur on first listening (much like the Audio Technica ATH M50), but ultimately will disappoint any pro or audiophile that knows what they're listening for.

There was a comment here a while back in the forums from "HiFiRobot" that let us know in his post..."In the latest edition of the Swedish magazine Hifi & Musik, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 got 10/10 for it's sound, and were considered better than Sony MDR-1R, KEF M500, Onkyo ES-HF300, Martin Logan Mikros 90, JVC HA-SZ2000 and Philips Fidelio L2."

10/10 they say... LOL, they have to be kidding me.

Another Web review from "Audioappraisal" website says... "The Yamaha HPH-MT220 headphones are designed primarily for studio use – where a flat frequency response, maximum detail, low noise and low colouration are a must. Conveniently, these are the key principals behind Yamaha’s ‘Natural Sound’ approach to hi-fi design – each component designed to have as little impact on the music as possible."

He goes on to say... "These phones are indeed flat – something that is apparent from the get-go.

I say bullsh_t!

He goes on to say... "if you like to hear every detail in your music, these phones have it in spades. You can add to that a fantastic sound stage"

More bullsh_t!

He goes on to say... "Bring them into a studio environment, and the HPH MT220s deliver. They’re unbelievably transparent"

Total bullsh_t!

He goes on to say... "For studio use, the HPH-MT220s simply can’t be beat. They let you hear right into the heart of a recording; their accurate in the extreme."

And even more bullsh_t!

I can tell you people, these reviewers are taking too much amphetamines, because what they're saying is simply not true.

In fact, what i realized, was that the MT220 does sound similar to the Audio Technica ATH M50 (Have you noticed how the Yamaha has "HPH "in it's title? Similar to the ATH in the Audio Technica headphone title, especially when you pronounce it), and then i realized that the Yamaha company is probably trying to follow the M50 paradigm and jump on the bandwagon to get some easy cash.

Obviously Yamaha knows how popular the M50's are, but most of us know that the Audio Technica headphone is not what people think as far as true accurate and balanced audiophile sound. When i owned the Audio Technica ATH-M50 the sound-signature had become tiring to me very quickly, and the M50 was shrouding some details of the audio-spectrum, leaving me bereft of listening pleasure with it's skewed sonic portrayal, eventually leaving me high-&-dry, and that's what the Yamaha MT220 does. It is actually quite 'unbalanced' throughout the audio spectrum and quite colored with it's overly warm tone and small hump in the lower upper-bass/lower- mids, not to mention slightly boomy in the bass, and lacking air in the top-end.

I thought to myself that Yamaha probably imagined they could just follow the popular sonic formula of the MTH M50 and just improve on it a little bit while striking a similar overall sonic signature, and there could be big money to be made. Obviously the head design engineer at Yamaha for the MT220 wanted to make a name for himself with the CEO of Yamaha, so he just copied the ever so popular MTH M50 formula with some slight improvements and thought he couldn't go wrong, even though he knew very-well that the sound is not flat or accurate.

Here's someone's comments in the What HiFi forums about the MT220, which happen to align with what i have said... "The MT220 treble has very slightly less output overall than the mids, and it did affect the impression of soundstage."

zazex, from the headfi.org forums, said this... "They somehow seem like a slightly more refined version
of the ATH M50. They don't have that special 'thing' that makes you want to grab them and keep listening. These are not for me, anyway. I've returned the set I bought and that's not something I do very often."

H20Fidelity here from the headfi.org forums said this... "I find them a little warm in the mids compared to my regular IEM like the ER4S or full size MDR-V6, and personally a little bit mid-bass happy to my ears"

So, truly people, i just want to make it clear that the praise about this headphone is not commensurate with the actual sonic attributes of this headphone, and therefore maybe Yamaha need to go back to the drawing board and give us version II.

The fact is that i've spent many hundreds of dollars on headfi gear, and still haven't found a neutral setup. I simply want a clean neutral DAP capable of driving good quality headphones, and one pro-quality headphone with a flat and neutral sound signature with no obvious quirks.

I have access to nearly every well-known and high-end and esoteric headphone on the planet, that's not a problem (we have some of the best headphone stores in the world here where i live, believe me) but i just need some good advice on where to find a neutral headphone, and no the Sennheiser HD600 is not it!. Which headphone is neutral and 'ACCURATE' right across the audio spectrum and wont cost me an arm and leg, and don't say Ultrasone or Skullcandy or Beats by Dre, they're terrible!!

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 66
I completely disagree. Our sound preferences may be entirely different, but I found these to be an extremely good value considering you can get them for as low as 120$. I can't think of one headphone that betters it in the 200$ range. I really can't see anyone saying they have a small soundstage. Sure they are VERY upfront, but if you listen carefully you can hear the air that surrounds each instrument. They also have a very wide soundstage, which is uncommon for closed monitoring headphones like this one. I think the best part of this headphone though, is its Prat. It's very punchy and quick, it would always leave me bobbing my head whenever I listened. This is very important. Being able to become immersed on the music is more important than any technical ability. This is all IMO, and I mean no offense when disagreeing with you.

Best Regards,
Jackson

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 66
Jackson9696 said: "it would always leave me bobbing my head whenever I listened."

My response: that is not the test of an accurate headphone my friend!

Jackson9696 said: "Being able to become immersed on the music is more important than any technical ability."

My response: immersion in the music can be had from any headphone, so your statement doesn't mean much.

I have already described the attributes of this headphone, and it is not what you or others are saying about it, that's why i started this thread.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 66
I understand that YOU may not like this headphone, but I really doubt many others, if any will back you up on this, as many well respected headfiers have had nothing but praise for this gem. So you can keep on hating on the headphone, and stay in a negative drought, or you can move on to a headphone that suits your preferences and call it a day.

Best Regards,
Jackson

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 66
Problem is, i've done the tests, and for quite a while, under intense scrutiny and very close listening, using FiiO E12 Amp. iPod Nano. FiiO E17K DAC/Amp through computer USB.

The problem with this headphone is that it's not what the reviewers say it is...

The bass is slightly bloated (this alone is enough to get rid of it)
The treble is bordering on brittle and clinical and gets confused on complex sensitive treble areas of certain songs.
The overall vibe is dark and a little shallow
The top-end is lacking air and 'natural' clarity

I have the Yamaha MT220 right here in front of me, so from what i can tell, the reviewers are talking out of there ass. Don't you know how this world works, sad to say, but corruption is everywhere. Yamaha throws some money to the reviewer and tells him he can keep the headphone, so the reviewers talks bullsh_t to us.

I've got the proof here in front of me, i've done the tests. I listen to music that i have known all my life, do you think i can't tell when these favourite songs of mine sound different and not right. Natural clarity and air and firm accurate bass we all know from our favourite songs, right? We know the midrange transparency and other factors from our favourite songs, correct?

This Headphone is a scam, just like the Audio Technica ATH-M50! Obviously you are new to all this. Do you own the Yamaha MT220? I don't think you do, so why are you here arguing with someone who owns this headphone??

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 66
I owned it just over a month ago and sold it in favor of the Shure 1540. I'm starting to think your unit might be defective, and you should get it checked just in case. If not, you can sell it on these forums! Best of luck to finding a headphone that suits you! Keep looking!

Best Regards,
Jackson

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 66
I think if you want a truly good closed-back at a reasonable price, I would give the Beyerdynamic DT 150 or the Beyerdynamic DT 250 a listen. I haven't heard the Yamaha's personally, but I have heard the M50 and I hated the thing.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 66
And here's how our hearing differs...
If you think these are "Dark"/"warm", you'd probably blow your head off if you listen to Sennheiser's HD600s, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, JVC SZ2000s, etc. etc. LOL :wink:
I did not find these overly warm at all, BUT I used to have Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs, HD600s, SZ2000s, SZ1000s, etc. which are indeed warm so... also, you mentioned that the Yammies did not exhibit sibilance issues and that was ONE of the reasons I actually got rid of them.

Now, one of the reasons I prefer reading users impressions here on head-fi instead of "professional" reviews is that flaws are presented and views are more passionate which lead to a better take on a headphone. If you were misguided by those professional reviews instead of user reviews then I guess you needed to do a bit more research... :wink:

My initial thoughts on these:

Some notes:

Cable is non-removable (I thought it was) and it's coiled.
They feel completely comfortable as of now, and they earpads feel pretty good even though they are not very deep.
Seem sturdy and well constructed.
Are sensitive enough to run from an MP3 player.

These are NOT your "bright as the sun - monitoring" headphones (i.e. they have a completely different signature from the Shure SRH440/940, KRK 8400/6400, Spider Moonlight, etc.) These actually feel a bit like the Shure SRH840s but a bit smoother as a whole! Tracks with slamming bass, they show it, basslines are reproduced excellent. Loving the vocals too but need to test more with female voices. Something up-top seems a bit boosted though, it picks up on hiss on tracks pretty fast and some sibilance has shown up.

Tracks tried:

Daft Punk - Get Lucky
J-King and Maximan - Ella me pide something
Paramore - Still into You
Netsky - Let's leave tomorrow
Bring me the Horizon - The House of Wolves
Kaskade - One Heart

Will probably come up with more and comparisons during the weekend. As of now, they are enjoyable.!

These are definitely NOT neutral and I don't think that has been argued here on the boards... the similarities with the M50s have also been mentioned before. Personally I never liked the M50s and did not think they were all that similar to the Yammies, but again, what we hear differs person to person.

Next time you plan on buying new headphones, read more user impressions, find users that have similar tastes as you, PM them for more impressions, etc. Check independent measurements as well. The guys over at chang post some of their measurements (I sent the MT220s for measurements so they are out there...) as well as Tyll over at innerfidelity and others. If things look good, then bite! The best place to get and try gear at better prices is here on the "For Sale" boards. Have an open mind, try some gear, share reviews, heck, make some friends and start swapping headphones and don't get swayed by 'professional' reviews only.

Welcome to head-fi and good luck! :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 66
They are misleading the public and creating hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash-flow for Yamaha basically by talking out of their ass and deliberately misleading unsuspecting sincere people who are searching for a decent accurate headphone....

I am so incensed by the bullsh_t surrounding these headphones that i need to expose it so that no one else wastes their money like i did...

Well I got the MT-220s for AUD $77 brand new during the Christmas sales. All I can say is they are well worth the money, and I've never heard anything like it before.
I have had dozens of other ordinary medium to low end budget headphones & in-ear buds spanning Sony, Bose, Skullcandy, Denon, Sennheiser, JVC, Philips & TDK.

This level of clarity for the price is incredible, especially if people get it for a sub $100 price tag. Something you should have to really hear music...

All I got from your review was money related anger rather than genuine reasons as to why its not good..., as it may help people get it if its on clearance or being thrown away... lol

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 66
Excuse me, but among my "Money related anger" as you put it, in my first post, i gave ample genuine reasons one after the other as to why i felt they aren't good. Get your facts straight before you make false accusations! What are you talking about man?

Is the following not a quote from my opening post?...

"1: Very dark sounding headphones, like you're listening inside a tomb or dungeon.
2: Mediocre soundstage bordering on non-existent, everything hangs around the center spectrum and not much else happening wide-out other than instruments in the mix that have been hard-panned left and right by the song mixing engineer.
3: Bass is reasonably articulate but ultimately boomy and swollen leaking into the lower mids and creating congestion that veils the sound
4: The treble range from 5khz upward has no air or soundstage at all, and is severely lacking the 'natural' snap associated with treble frequencies in this frequency-range
5: Any brightness that does exist sounds metallic, approaching shrill and harsh, but i can say there is no sibilance.
6 Upper midrange is slightly recessed and lacking transparency, which is not helped by the lack of air in the soundstage at the lower treble frequencies
7: Sound details are not as apparent as is touted, an no wonder when one looks at the frequency response charts for this headphone.
8: It is overly warm to the point of annoying, and that is with a neutral amp known for showing clarity and air."

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 66
I still don't understand why you are so hating so emotionally. I still can't even fully understand if this is a "need advice" thread or whatever.

1. You "have access to nearly every well-known and high-end and esoteric headphone on the planet" and yet only mentioned the M50. You didn't even mention the headphones YOU have.
2. You [quote from above] and yet are overly gushy about the SR60e.
3. MT220 is not even in the overhyped status. If you want overhyped, looked at the JVC HA-S400/500 thread or the Havi B3 thread
4. Did you know everyone hears differently?
5. Did you know everyone prefers sound differently?
6. "some of the best headphone stores in the world here where i live, believe me" - Where do you live? I'm genuinely curious.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 66
I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 - AKG K551 - ATH-M50 - Sennheiser HD558/600/650/280Pro - Shure SRH440/840/550DJ - Yamaha MT220 - Ultrasone HFI 580 - Denon AH-D1100 - KRK KNS 8400:

However, yes i am impressed with the Grado SR60e. In the sense that it's the cheapest in the range, and yet it puts-up a valiant performance rivaling some of the better closed-back headphones. It offers a very balanced and detailed performance with no obvious faults. Quite astonishing, that's why i'm gonna audition the SR80e, hoping it will maybe perform even slightly better in some way.

Well everyone doesn't really hear differently, we just settle for different things. Most people have different preferences only because they live with this or that headphone and that's all they have, even with all the small sonic anomalies, they grow acquainted with it and learn to accept it for what it is, but if you were to give these people a 'perfect' headphone with technically 'accurate' performance, they would hear it and accept that headphone more, because it would be representing the music 'correctly' with no sonic anomalies.

Doesn't matter where i live, but believe me, name any headphone, and it's here! Would you like to listen to the Abyss 1266? (i have listened to this, and not many people can say that). I could take you tomorrow, just make sure you have $5999, because it's one of the most expensive headphones in the world as far as i know.
Maybe you prefer the Grado PS1000e Pro, or any Grado, or maybe you prefer 'any' of the HiFiMan, or possibly you just want to hear the Sennheiser HD700/800, or maybe you just want the "Bose" headphones, or Bowers&Wilkins P5 Series 2, or do you just prefer the humble Pioneer brand, or how about the lowly Skullcandys, whatever you want, believe me, it's here to listen and audition. Ultrasone, AKG, Beyerdynamic, whatever, if you want it, then it's just around the corner from me.
And if you need the best most expensive dedicated headphone Pre-amps and Amps in the world, just bring $90,000 with you and you can purchase them, just make sure to add another $7000 for cables, this shop has them, if you have the money.

I'm telling you, the MT220 is getting false reviews, they reviewers are either deaf, dumb and blind, or they got paid by Yamaha. The MT220 is simply a slightly more refined version of the AudioTechnica ATH-M50, that's all it is! The cross-over point at the upper-mids/lower- treble is recessed and flat and clinical, and if you know your stuff, you'll know that's bad, bad for the listener, bad for the music! Nobody's taste will like that! And more bad news, add to that the subtle overall warm tone of the Yamaha MT220, then factor-in the flabby bass, and you have a disaster! True story.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #14 of 66
Actually, now that i think about it, the only chance in hell i have now of seeing if these headphones perform anything like what the reviewers say, is 'burn-in'. But i simply can't comprehend how burn-in might compensate for what the frequency graphs show to be a very awkward and skewed frequency response. The graph shows an acute dip at around the 6-7k range, and that certainly explains a lot about what i'm hearing from these. Obviously the Yamaha design team were using drunken sailors to do the tuning, either that or they were taking too much drugs when designing them, or maybe they did indeed 'deliberately' follow the sonic signature of the ATH-M50.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 66
Another 'tone deaf' person disagreeing with you.

If you hate them sell them. You've got a nice collection, use one of those, purchase something new with the funds and move on with your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back