dCS Bartok
Jul 15, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #1,936 of 2,063
Listening through TOSLINK, and comparing it to my vanilla ethernet connection from my home router has been pretty fun, so far.

TOSLINK sounds cleaner, more "ordered", and has a dryer, "just the facts" kind of character. Background is blacker. Makes the Susvara sounds more electro-stat-like.

The quality of the treble and bass are perceptibly different. Treble is smoother, and bass sounds "truer" and runs deeper.

It also sounds leaner, without question (and which is most pronounced with my speaker setup).

In contrast, my "untreated ethernet" connection sounds fuller, with more bass quantity, and "richer" lower mids, with a stronger center channel when using speakers, and generally presents the perception of more depth. And sounds more dynamic and vivid. It kind of drives me nuts to consider the possibility that all these "positive" qualities might just be byproducts of intermodulation distortion. As a regular end-user schmo, my best guess is that there must be more at play than that, but... 🤷‍♀️

I should also note that until just recently, I tried using a pair of off-the-shelf FMCs connected to an Shanti LPS between the router and the DAC. This definitely sounded different from "vanilla ethernet" as well. I really liked that solution for a while but ultimately concluded it did more harm than good (Too bright, basically). I think I'll want to revisit the ethernet connection angle again soon (rabbit hole that it is), but for now, listening to plain SPDIF being fed by a laptop on batteries has so far been pretty interesting, and with some music at least has been an undisputable net win. Longer term, though, we'll see (as always, heh).

Make sure you disconnect all other inputs and use only optical.
Most definitely! It's of course very much worth calling this out explicitly.

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,937 of 2,063
For years I have been a passive reader of this forum. I have had the opportunity to listen to the Bartók several times on various installations. Most recently together with the Riviera AIC-10 and Abyss 1266 TC. After many years, I made the purchase yesterday and bought a Bartok APEX.
It is an unopened Bartók from mid 2022 which will come with APEX upgrade. I am very happy with the €15,200 purchase including the upgrade. In four weeks it will be here.

Now I have a question about the interconnects XLR and power cable.
Where is the best place to start my search, and do you use other power cables for digital equipment?

Thanks in advance,
Ivo

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,938 of 2,063
For years I have been a passive reader of this forum. I have had the opportunity to listen to the Bartók several times on various installations. Most recently together with the Riviera AIC-10 and Abyss 1266 TC. After many years, I made the purchase yesterday and bought a Bartok APEX.
It is an unopened Bartók from mid 2022 which will come with APEX upgrade. I am very happy with the €15,200 purchase including the upgrade. In four weeks it will be here.

Where is the best place to start my search, and do you use other power cables for digital equipment?

Thanks in advance,
Ivo

Thanks in advance,
Ivo
Hello Ivo,

First thing I would do in join the DCS forum where such questions have been asked and talked about. A very helpful dcs community and congratulations on your purchase.

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,939 of 2,063
Hello Ivo,

First thing I would do in join the DCS forum where such questions have been asked and talked about. A very helpful dcs community and congratulations on your purchase.
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response.
I have also been a passive reader on the dCS forum for many years as well :relieved:
I read that some for digital have good experience with Crystal Cables Future Dream 22. However, there are so many cable manufacturers, I would like to hear what dCS users mainly apply to their DA converter. So i have a good place to start.

Cheers,
Ivo

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #1,940 of 2,063
While I agree that cables have an impact and I am guilty of spending large sums of money on them the greater impact for your Bartok Apex would be in adding a Lina or Rossini Clock. Get some reasonably priced cables and start saving for a Clock. Your ears will love you.

Jul 23, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #1,941 of 2,063
While I agree that cables have an impact and I am guilty of spending large sums of money on them the greater impact for your Bartok Apex would be in adding a Lina or Rossini Clock. Get some reasonably priced cables and start saving for a Clock. Your ears will love you.

Have not tried the Bartok apex. But I agree that the Lina clock does make a noticeable sonic improvement.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #1,942 of 2,063
Maybe try Mogami gold cables first - I find them more than adequate. Interesting I couldn’t find much better than Mogami for cables. However, I found the difference in source was important. The difference between using a standard Qnap Nas with Minimplayer upnp vs. dedicated nuc with Rock / Roon was massive. Nuc with Roon sounds much better to me. Enjoy the new Bartok - it’s so well sorted.

Sep 9, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #1,943 of 2,063
While I am generally not a fan of the Expanse feature on my Rossini, I'm happy to report that there are situations where this function actually works pretty well for me.

The disc below is an historical recording of Sofronitsky playing his beloved Scriabin.

1694259326351.png

Well, in this particular case, listening with the Expanse (2) activated provides a significant improvement of the experience, it really injects new life into this old mono recording by ... ehm ... expanding the otherwise boxed, almost claustrophobic, presentation into a way more three-dimensional soundscape, while enriching the harmonics complexity of the sound as well.

By moving to this other rendition of the same composition (how stark is the comparison between the Russian and Canadian geniuses with the Sonata n. 5 op. 53!), the recording technique presents a very diffuse and remote sound field, and contrarily to the case above, this time is the activation of the crossfeed function that comes to rescue, conveying the most enjoyable experience for my tastes.

1694259602429.png

It is good to have options :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #1,945 of 2,063
Nov 3, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,947 of 2,063
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #1,949 of 2,063
Not sure how relevant that review is today due to 2.0 and Apex upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back