DC offset and capacitance
Feb 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

d-cee

Headphoneus Supremus
hi all,

i am just reading up on all the stuff i can do to my heed canamp before it arrives so i am all ready to mod it when it gets here

I have got most of my answers, but a few questions remain

first of all, how do i measure if my source(s) have DC offset? i have access to a multi metre. reason is i want to replace some blocking caps with non polarised variety but am aware i shouldn't do this if any of my sources have dc offset

secondly i noticed that it's acceptable to drop in higher volted and higher valued capacitors for electrolytics, but i'm wondering if that applies with film (polypropylene in particular) caps as well?

thanks all!

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all,

i am just reading up on all the stuff i can do to my heed canamp before it arrives so i am all ready to mod it when it gets here

I have got most of my answers, but a few questions remain

first of all, how do i measure if my source(s) have DC offset? i have access to a multi metre. reason is i want to replace some blocking caps with non polarised variety but am aware i shouldn't do this if any of my sources have dc offset

Plug a cable or something that you can access the contacts on into the source and measure DC volts (millivolts or mV) from left (tip) to ground (sleeve). Do the same thing for the right channel (ring) to ground (sleeve). A well behave source should be <10mV, preferably 0. The blocking (or coupling) caps are there to prevent DC offset from getting into downstream equipment. Replacing the caps if the device has DC offset isn't an issue... you can do anything you want there for caps.. not sure what you were trying to say with your last sentence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
secondly i noticed that it's acceptable to drop in higher volted and higher valued capacitors for electrolytics, but i'm wondering if that applies with film (polypropylene in particular) caps as well?

thanks all!

Yes it does. Many people think that high voltage film caps sound better than lower voltage versions.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... not sure what you were trying to say with your last sentence ...

sorry, i was planning on replacing the blocking caps in my AMP and needed to check the DC offset in the DAC i will be pairing it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back