Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
Jun 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #946 of 1,160
ok, just google"Speaker Unit For Repair Earphone Parts"  and start searching anything good, and please keep me updated :D
or this: 揚聲器單元進行維修配件耳機  in taobao

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #948 of 1,160
Confirmed...Monoprice 9320 drivers in generic earbud casings suck...very much. It was worth the experiment though
tongue_smile.gif
. First time soldering an itty-bitty little driver like that.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #951 of 1,160
Quick update on the Dasetn 760 and Tingo Croons 38S. I think I've finally found the earbud for me. Finally. After letting the 760s settle for a bit, I am extremely pleased with their sound. I find them amazingly balanced, clear, and most importantly of all: very lifelike and natural. 

So here's my comparison for the time being: 

Tingo Croons TG-38S: 
These buds are quite good in every way for the price tag. They have exceptional build quality - the best I've seen out of these high end buds and the cable appears to be very similar to the Sennheiser MX581. They sound pretty good, but have some downsides. The soundstage is expansive and very impressive. Treble is detailed, but a tad fatiguing; however, not extremely sibilant. This is indicative of gear that does well retrieving details, but has the treble a bit boosted and a bit in your face. The mids are particularly good and crystal clear. Excellent. The bass really leaves a lot to be desired and is the primary reason I decided to look to see if I could find something more well rounded. I should say that I can totally understand if someone prefers the Tingo Croons over other buds since they are technically a very good piece of gear and powerful for reproducing details and spatial coordinates of notes very well. Perhaps better than any bud I've heard. I really wish I could take the cable on these and put them on a lot of other gear that I have. Although the buds do have a lot of microphonics, I think it might be due to the fact that the cables are poorly routed inside the shells and not necessarily due to the actual material of the cable. 

Notes: These definitely don't require an amp since they are so efficient (perhaps the most efficient earbud I've heard, at least judging by ear), but can be ran with an amp if desired with some bass boost. Smartphones and commercial players definitely provide enough juice for these to have quick agility and fast response even for bassy, fast paced, and demanding music. 

Pros:
Very expansive soundstage
Unbeatable build quality
Mids are quite good
Highs are clear and detailed (fatiguing for some so could be a con)

Cons:
Bass is rather anemic, leaves something to be desired
Sometimes can sound artificial or cold
Cable microphonics

tl;dr: Very good earbud, definitely worth $15. Might not be for everyone. 

Dasetn MX760
After hearing about Dasetn awhile back from Danneq before this thread or any of head fi really knew about him, I inquired about ordering his MX1 model, but he told me he was working on a better bud, and that I should try that when he was done with it. The Dasetn MX760 is the latest/newest product, and flagship bud model of the DIYer Dasetn. I decided to pick one up finally. Well....I am extremely satisfied. These things are something else. I think this should be the primary recommendation of a budget high end bud for everyone. The sound signature is very safe. Balanced and very, very natural. Everything sounds the way it should sound. There is little if any boosted ranges in the tuning. Drums sound exactly as they should sound. Guitar notes are faithfully reproduced. All types of instruments are well replicated and positioned. There is no single range that is over powering any of the others. The highs are crisp and detailed - no sibilance, no fatigue. Maybe the Tingo Croons can pick up a bit more detail in the highs since they are partially boosted, but the Dasetn 760 really replicates highs with correct and accurate emphasis. The mids are fluid and clear. The bass is much better than the Tingo Croons. They might not be extremely accurate and tight like cans/IEMs, but I don't think bass can get much better than this due to the limitation of buds which can't form a complete seal unless really pushed into the ear hard. These are phenomenal buds for $25, and I think this should be the default recommendation for this thread since the Tingo Croons have been getting such mixed reviews from most people. I can't really see too much reason why anyone would not like the Dasetn MX760 besides the build quality compared to the Tingo Croons. The unfortunate thing is that the build quality of these DIY buds really lives up to its DIY moniker - unfortunately (the MX760 logo on the cable already fell off in less than 3 days). The cable is nowhere near as good as the Tingo Croons and is prone to tangling much more. If sound quality is your primary concern and everything else is secondary, these are golden. 

Notes: These buds are rather efficient and definitely can be run with smartphones and commercial players, but clearly require a bit more juice than the Tingo Croons to achieve similar volume levels so an amp could help on faster and bassier music.

Pros:
Extremely natural sounding; everything sounds "right"
Well textured bass for earbuds; probably best you can get unless you go high end Blox/external amped PK1
Highs, mids, and lows are well balanced and compliment one another well; superb driver tuning

Cons:
Build quality is not as good as Tingo Croons, but rather in a similar league to the Yuins, Blox etc

tl;dr: If you are looking for a budget earbud and safe bet that you will definitely enjoy - get this now, no question. Cannot recommend enough. 

EDIT:
I wanted to make a note of the Tingo Croons 38S and Dasetn 760 after further comparison. The Tingo Croons definitely when EQd can hit deeper and more pronounced bass. It's as if they can hit lower frequencies and really bring out a respectable bass when heavily EQd. On the other hand, I found that the 760 pops and distorts much easier when EQing bass, and its bass is not of better texture and tightness than the Tingo Croons. It is apparent that the Tingo Croons have a more powerful driver in terms of low end at least. This is really strange to me though as the 760s have an overall more balanced sound and just sound better and superior in almost every sense when not EQd. I have found that I barely ever reach for my Tingo Croons when wanting an earbud instead of a full size headphone. The 760 (with no EQ) has become my default bud; however, it's worth noting that if you are someone who wants to EQ bass into your gear, the Tingo Croons probably can churn out more and deeper bass before distorting/popping. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #952 of 1,160
  Quick update on the Dasetn 760 and Tingo Croons 38S. I think I've finally found the earbud for me. Finally. After letting the 760s settle for a bit, I am extremely pleased with their sound. I find them amazingly balanced, clear, and most importantly of all: very lifelike and natural. 

So here's my comparison for the time being: 

Tingo Croons TG-38S: 
These buds are quite good in every way for the price tag. They have exceptional build quality - the best I've seen out of these high end buds and the cable appears to be very similar to the Sennheiser MX581. They sound pretty good, but have some downsides. The soundstage is expansive and very impressive. Treble is detailed, but a tad fatiguing; however, not extremely sibilant. This is indicative of gear that does well retrieving details, but has the treble a bit boosted and a bit in your face. The mids are particularly good and crystal clear. Excellent. The bass really leaves a lot to be desired and is the primary reason I decided to look to see if I could find something more well rounded. I should say that I can totally understand if someone prefers the Tingo Croons over other buds since they are technically a very good piece of gear and powerful for reproducing details and spatial coordinates of notes very well. Perhaps better than any bud I've heard. I really wish I could take the cable on these and put them on a lot of other gear that I have. Although the buds do have a lot of microphonics, I think it might be due to the fact that the cables are poorly routed inside the shells and not necessarily due to the actual material of the cable. 

Notes: These definitely don't require an amp since they are so efficient (perhaps the most efficient earbud I've heard, at least judging by ear), but can be ran with an amp if desired with some bass boost. Smartphones and commercial players definitely provide enough juice for these to have quick agility and fast response even for bassy, fast paced, and demanding music. 

Pros:
Very expansive soundstage
Unbeatable build quality
Mids are quite good
Highs are clear and detailed (fatiguing for some so could be a con)

Cons:
Bass is rather anemic, leaves something to be desired
Sometimes can sound artificial or cold
Cable microphonics

tl;dr: Very good earbud, definitely worth $15. Might not be for everyone. 

Dasetn MX760
After hearing about Dasetn awhile back from Danneq before this thread or any of head fi really knew about him, I inquired about ordering his MX1 model, but he told me he was working on a better bud, and that I should try that when he was done with it. The Dasetn MX760 is the latest/newest product, and flagship bud model of the DIYer Dasetn. I decided to pick one up finally. Well....I am extremely satisfied. These things are something else. I think this should be the primary recommendation of a budget high end bud for everyone. The sound signature is very safe. Balanced and very, very natural. Everything sounds the way it should sound. There is little if any boosted ranges in the tuning. Drums sound exactly as they should sound. Guitar notes are faithfully reproduced. All types of instruments are well replicated and positioned. There is no single range that is over powering any of the others. The highs are crisp and detailed - no sibilance, no fatigue. Maybe the Tingo Croons can pick up a bit more detail in the highs since they are partially boosted, but the Dasetn 760 really replicates highs with correct and accurate emphasis. The mids are fluid and clear. The bass is much better than the Tingo Croons. They might not be extremely accurate and tight like cans/IEMs, but I don't think bass can get much better than this due to the limitation of buds which can't form a complete seal unless really pushed into the ear hard. These are phenomenal buds for $25, and I think this should be the default recommendation for this thread since the Tingo Croons have been getting such mixed reviews from most people. I can't really see too much reason why anyone would not like the Dasetn MX760 besides the build quality compared to the Tingo Croons. The unfortunate thing is that the build quality of these DIY buds really lives up to its DIY moniker - unfortunately (the MX760 logo on the cable already fell off in less than 3 days). The cable is nowhere near as good as the Tingo Croons and is prone to tangling much more. If sound quality is your primary concern and everything else is secondary, these are golden. 

Notes: These buds are rather efficient and definitely can be run with smartphones and commercial players, but clearly require a bit more juice than the Tingo Croons to achieve similar volume levels so an amp could help on faster and bassier music.

Pros:
Extremely natural sounding; everything sounds "right"
Well textured bass for earbuds; probably best you can get unless you go high end Blox/external amped PK1
Highs, mids, and lows are well balanced and compliment one another well; superb driver tuning

Cons:
Build quality is not as good as Tingo Croons, but rather in a similar league to the Yuins, Blox etc

tl;dr: If you are looking for a budget earbud and safe bet that you will definitely enjoy - get this now, no question. Cannot recommend enough. 

I have to agree that m760 sound amazing . All members that have tried m760 have reported positive comments whereas the tingo has mixed reviews as you 've said. I'm enjoying my dasetn and once pk1 and tingo 38s arrive i will post a detailed review comparison. Hopefuly the pk1 justify their price over the m760 . Only thing concerns me is how long these will last since it is cheap quality . After only one day the left mark gone :p . I wiped it with my finger and it faded away .

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #953 of 1,160
  I have to agree that m760 sound amazing . All members that have tried m760 have reported positive comments whereas the tingo has mixed reviews as you 've said. I'm enjoying my dasetn and once pk1 and tingo 38s arrive i will post a detailed review comparison. Hopefuly the pk1 justify their price over the m760 . Only thing concerns me is how long these will last since it is cheap quality . After only one day the left mark gone :p . I wiped it with my finger and it faded away .

Yes, the 760s are definitely a great all arounder. They do almost any genre well (to the extent that earbuds can do at least; for example, hip hop never sounds ideal even on higher end buds due to the lack of prominent bass). 
These are the most complete set of buds I've found so far. I might pick up another one as well. It's really a shame how poorly built they are compared to the Tingo Croons. I'm going to put some electrical tape around the 3.5mm jack area so that the cable could last a bit longer as there is pretty much no strain relief of any kind on these red cables. Oh well, I guess Dasetn REALLY wanted to make sure we knew these are DIY. lol

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #954 of 1,160
  Yes, the 760s are definitely a great all arounder. They do almost any genre well (to the extent that earbuds can do at least; for example, hip hop never sounds ideal even on higher end buds due to the lack of prominent bass). 
These are the most complete set of buds I've found so far. I might pick up another one as well. It's really a shame how poorly built they are compared to the Tingo Croons. I'm going to put some electrical tape around the 3.5mm jack area so that the cable could last a bit longer as there is pretty much no strain relief of any kind on these red cables. Oh well, I guess Dasetn REALLY wanted to make sure we knew these are DIY. lol

Yes these do look from a mile that are DIY :) . You forgot to mention that they look awesome. I really like the red cable with the silver phones. Only thing missing would be a case, but fortunately i have a spare one from my 100% genuine beats tour imitation :wink:

PS Just checked the cable and phones , the sennheiser logo is starting to wear off :) . Keep in mind that im extra careful with IEM and buds not too make any damage. The logo and left and right marks seem to be made by a school black marker , can't explain why they are gone in just a few days of usage. But you can't go wrong with sq / price ratio

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #955 of 1,160
  Yes these do look from a mile that are DIY :) . You forgot to mention that they look awesome. I really like the red cable with the silver phones. Only thing missing would be a case, but fortunately i have a spare one from my 100% genuine beats tour imitation :wink:

Haha yes, I got them in a peculiar beats clamshell case. That's quite funny of Dasetn to make people think these are on the same level as beats. In fact, I think they are much better than the beats IEMs for just $25. He should try to put his next earbud in an apple earbud case just as a sly jab. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #956 of 1,160
For $4.50 (with free shipping) these AWEI ES10 are pretty awesome.

For me, they have an almost perfect earbud seal.  Bass is plentiful and controlled, with only a slight leak into the mids. Highs are rolled off quickly, but this makes for very easy listening without any fatigue.  They might not be the most detailed earbuds, but overall sound is still clear and very musical.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #957 of 1,160
  For $4.50 (with free shipping) these AWEI ES10 are pretty awesome.

For me, they have an almost perfect earbud seal.  Bass is plentiful and controlled, with only a slight leak into the mids. Highs are rolled off quickly, but this makes for very easy listening without any fatigue.  They might not be the most detailed earbuds, but overall sound is still clear and very musical.

Don't you find their timbre severely off, especially on string instruments?

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #958 of 1,160
  Don't you find their timbre severely off, especially on string instruments?

Honestly not at all.  Just put them head to head with my HD650 with The Moody Blues - Lunch Break-Peak Hour [FLAC] and they held up fairly well, without any glaring distinctions in the pitch.  Not saying it holds the same intensity, but these two are in completely different price ranges.

EDIT, forgot to mention I did not use my Clip Zip to test.  Used Foobar2000 on my computer through a DAC/Amp

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #959 of 1,160

Honestly not at all.  Just put them head to head with my HD650 with The Moody Blues - Lunch Break-Peak Hour [FLAC] and they held up fairly well, without any glaring distinctions in the pitch.  Not saying it holds the same intensity, but these two are in completely different price ranges.

EDIT, forgot to mention I did not use my Clip Zip to test.  Used Foobar2000 on my computer through a DAC/Amp

So let me see if I understand this correctly, you're telling me that a $5 earbud "held up fairly well" to a direct comparison to the HD650, one of the best headphones ever produced? I'm a bit skeptical, but I guess it's possible? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back