Darkvoice just released 332
Jul 21, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #1,576 of 1,892
Right... if it's not a hum heard in both channels, its unlikely to be a ground issue.

If its white noise, or pink noise in one channel... it's possibly a tube issue.

I've had this occur once, perhaps. It dissappeared, when I turned the amp off and back on, and hasn't recurred. I have no idea, what it was. Might have been cell phone interference... but... that likely would have been heard in both channels, also. Or, it could be a tube that's beginning to fail. Who knows.

I've also had slight tube hum, or noise, in my WA3, which resulted from tubes that weren't seated tightly. I resolved it, by cleaning the pins, and carefully and gently spreading the tube pins a bit to improve the contact.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #1,578 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I guess, the only reason I asked was it went away if I touched the amp..

Also another thing, do your amps/tubes make pinging sounds when you power it down? Hope that's normal..

I've never noticed such sounds. That sounds like it could be tube microphonics - I've read some tubes will do that, if they're inclined to be microphonic.

I guess I wouldn't worry too much about such intermittent "gremlins," if they don't persist, and interfere with the sound quality.

I'm sure the vendor will honor the warranty, if you have any real problems with the amp. Though, if you do, the cost of shipping it back to China, may incline you to just repair it locally. It's a simple amp to repair / upgrade - so, it may be more practical to just do that, if you have any issues. Warranties are a bit irrelevant, on low cost items, when it costs so much to ship them back - unless, you've got some major issue, and they're replacing the amp with a new one.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #1,579 of 1,892
Quote:

Yeah I guess, the only reason I asked was it went away if I touched the amp..

Also another thing, do your amps/tubes make pinging sounds when you power it down? Hope that's normal..

About those pinging sounds, my LM 403B also make that sound when the amp is turned off. In my case, only left channel generates that kind of sound. However, I haven't experienced this thing with WE403A/B, GE5654, Mullard 4010/EF95.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #1,580 of 1,892
No way i'm sending this baby back
biggrin.gif
It's gotten really good now, I was just wondering out of curiosity - that and i hope the valves don't blow up in my face!! haha

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #1,581 of 1,892
Quote:

you mean ones that you can hear directly from the amp itself? I hear a few intermittent "ping" sounds when the tubes are warming up and cooling down (a few min after turning it on on or off), I think it has to do with the tubes expanding and contracting from the heat. I can hear it both through the phones and directly from the amp.. kinda neat actually I wouldnt worry about it
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #1,582 of 1,892
oh good hear
wink.gif

Got the svets today, first thing I noticed was I could turn the volume all the way up and it was completely silent. Will do some comparing later, I think hear some differences but can't be sure..

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #1,583 of 1,892
Today I went to the shop selling Xindak fuse and bought one of that F2A fuse.

I think, compared to the stock fuse and ISOClean fuse, this Xindak fuse definitely has its place, as I could hear some improvements in treble and bass departments when this fuse was swapped in. This fuse, however, pales in comparison with ISOClean as the improvements brought about by ISOClean are more significant (bass, attack, and treble).

However, with its low price tag in my country (around 8.8-9$) one can’t go wrong with this fuse. But if you have to spend more, like 18-20$, I think getting ISOClean or Hifi-Tuning fuse might be better.

The above is my impression only, and note that the fuse hasn’t fully burnt-in yet

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #1,584 of 1,892
have got my LM Ericsson 403B's made for CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTRIC. they also have pinging sound in left channel, when i turn off the amp.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #1,585 of 1,892
Thanks for your comparison, PrTV. Your conclusions seem to support my own in regards to the XINDAK fuse: improves the treble, adds definition and detail without adding any sibilance or sharpness; there is no loss in bass depth - which to tell you the truth I was expecting - which remains deep and maybe slightly more articulate. Good for the money certainly.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #1,586 of 1,892
After a weekly of using my amp, tonight its started crackling in the right channel, and when i turned it off, there was some faint 'pinging' as the valves are cooling down. What is the likely cause?

When its cool i guess i could remove the valves and reseat them... anything else?

BT

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #1,587 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a weekly of using my amp, tonight its started crackling in the right channel, and when i turned it off, there was some faint 'pinging' as the valves are cooling down. What is the likely cause?

When its cool i guess i could remove the valves and reseat them... anything else?

BT

Peform all the usual diagnostics - swap the tubes back and forth, swap them for other tubes, etc. I suspect you isolate it to the tubes.

Some tubes will "ting" when you tap the case, or turn an amp on, or off - not a problem, unless you hear noise in your phones, while your playing a source. You can get some tube dampers - they sometimes help, but you may not need them, if you hear nothing while playing your source.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #1,588 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BT

that is EXACTLY the same as me, the pinging seems to be normal judging everyone's responses. The crackling happened to me too, so I just took the valves out and put them in again making sure they're nice and stable and it's been fine since.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #1,589 of 1,892
Damm hot tubes! I'm going towait till tomorrow before swapping tubes, its kinda late and i don't want to rush it (or make a pigs ear of it).

Now i'm back to the DAC headphone out ..... wow, you sure get used to that fantastic sound fast! Now i know exactly how much different the 332 really is.

Good job i bought a bunch of NOS valves.

Cheers

BT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back