Darkvoice just released 332
Jul 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #1,561 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading multiple times that when a tube amp is powered on, u should always have have speakers/headphones connected to it.

What would be the best to do when one wants to swap headphones on a 332, power it off and then swap headphones? Or is turning down the volume to 0% good enough?

I turn mine down to zero and have never had a problem. I do this to protect the headphones from any feedback when plugging in and also different headphones need different volume settings so its always better to start from the bottom and work your way up.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #1,562 of 1,892
Every single review or comment over on various forums/bulletins on the Isoclean 24k fuse has been overwhelmingly positive, I'm about to purchase one (If I can find a link).

Some people believe using a rating slightly higher than the recommended spec yields better results? So I think i'll get the 1.6 too although I do realise using a rating higher than suggested can blow your fuse or whatever - but a .6 increase shouldn't be that bad hopefully.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #1,563 of 1,892
I would suggest you get a 3 amp like the one in there now, Like the posts a page or 2 back it looks like the label on the back is incorrect. I would replace it with the factory fitted size.

Also I am awaiting your impression's when you get it ?

Jul 19, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #1,566 of 1,892
Firstly let me clarify that that what I said earlier was information the seller informed me.

In my understanding, it's true that if you install 1.6V slow blow in a system designed for 3V fast act fuse, the system can still function, but the fact that it works doesn't always mean it's safe.

I did some research and found that "slow blow and fast act are not interchangeable" due to the difference in their characteristic. I don't speak about the difference in sonic quality or functionality between the two, but I talk about the safety. If you replace the 3A fast act fuse in your DV with 1.6A slow blow, though the amp is still function properly, when something wrong happens, those slow blow fuse might not open fast enough to prevent any possible damage.

To be safe, I would suggest you choose HiFi-Tuning, which is fast act type, instead.

I myself may keep my ISOClean for now and might change to the "correct type" when opportunity arises, as my dad assure me that it's really, really rarely that something wrong could really happen to a headphone amp like this and damage anything in the chain. Plus, if it were to happen, even though the correct fuse is installed, with its rated amp (3A) it couldn't open fast enough to prevent any damage anyway. I understand that this paragraph in only for "me" since I really just can't recommend that to anyone.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'll surely let you guys know if my dad is wrong and if I actually damage my amp because of his advice (but judging from his experience in related fields, I highly doubt that he would talk nonsense).

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #1,567 of 1,892
About that Xindak fuse, I just realised that there is a local distributor in my country. That shop is not far from my place and the fuse is B300 ($8.8).

I will visit the shop soon and let you guys know the difference between $8.8 fuse and $25 fuse. Man, how could I overlook that shop (they also carry some nice Chinese dacs like CityPulse and Yulong).

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #1,569 of 1,892
The comments / reviews of the following fuses are "all over the map" - Isoclean, HiFi Tuning, Furetech, etc. Most seem to report that both the Isoclean and HiFi Tuning do make a noticeable improvement in the sound - though, the comments seem to very slightly favor the Isoclean fuses (which are now $35, plus shipping).

For the US, the Xindak fuses are really too expensive, relative to the IsoClean and HiFi Tuning fuses (about $25 vs about $40 and $30, including shipping). The IsoClean and HiFI Tuning fuses seem like they're better made and, of course, have many more reviews, which are virtually all positive.

For me, in the US, I think I'll try the HiFi Tuning fuses (cost is about the same).... if... I try any of them. Seems like a pretty high cost for a fuse - I'm a bit skeptical that the improvement in sound, can really justify the high cost - though, all the professional reviews, seem to report they do.

And... yes... I would get the 3A fast-blo version, because that's what works well in the amp stock from the factory.

We'll see...

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #1,571 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've developed some noise in the right channel all of a sudden, but it disappears if i touch the rear of the amp - grounding issue??

What does this mean, and any remedies?

Sure sounds like it is.

I'd try all the usual solutions (e.g. cheater plug(s) on my components - one at at time, separate outlets, etc.)... or... you might simply tape a piece of wire (with the tip bared to the rear of the case, and the other end (with the tip bared) to something metal, which may be grounded, or serve as a ground (not another component).

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #1,573 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip Gradofan2, I'll try that if it happens again.
wink.gif

I played some music and it went away, even during the silent bits if a file was playing. Hasn't come back since too, weird.

Though it may be a grounding issue it seems odd that it was only in one channel, unless it is an internal problem. All of the ground loop humm issues I've had have all been uniform across channels.

This could also be a tube microphonics issue. Somtimes when I listen to my 332 turned up with a muted source I can hear the tubes make a little noise.. even with my tube dampeners installed, when i touch the dampener on the responsible tube it gets quiet again.
I havent tried to see if touching the amp stops the microphonic ringing yet.

Can you describe the noise you heard magnetiq?

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #1,574 of 1,892
Another thing I've noticed is that my 332 picks up my cellphone's signals quite audibly when I place it near the amp.. sort of interesting to hear actually, an incoming text message sounds like a short pink noise/dial-up modem squelch.

When I put the phone on the other side of my desk about 4 feet away it's no longer a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back