Darkvoice Figaro?
Dec 1, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #31 of 166
I have two options because I want a tube amp for ~$200 shipped.

Darkvoice Figaro or LD2++.

I'm looking for deep bass and clean highs.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #32 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two options because I want a tube amp for ~$200 shipped.

Darkvoice Figaro or LD2++.

I'm looking for deep bass and clean highs.

Can you tell me why you want a tube amp? (and before I get stormed, I mean in this price range...)

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #33 of 166
I don't really know what I want.
frown.gif

I really just want a good sound with good bass. I started out wantin to spend $50 on a CMOY, found head-fi and now i'm trying to figure out how I can justify a $320 DV 336i.
eek.gif

I think for my first amp i'm going to settle in at the MKIII.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #34 of 166
It really is hard to choose. They are so many good headphone amps out there, both tube and SS.
confused.gif

The FIGARO is an excellent first amp. Its treble is very clean and detailed, but still smooth and civilised. Bass is not the deepist I ever heard, but it is deep for an amp in this class. To tell you the truth, I had to double check I was listening to the right amp when I first heard it - it was that good.

Another thing to think about is tubes. The FIGARO uses 2x6F3, a triode/pentode type. Russian eqivalents, the 6F5Ps, are quite cheap. Western versions - ECL85, ECL805 and 6GV8 - are also available and not too dear.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #35 of 166
Godkin, have you tried any tube-rolling yet?

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #37 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really know what I want.
frown.gif

Basically the reason I asked you why you want a tube amp is because most tubes in this price range will offer very 'tubey' sound in a sense that there is a boost in midrange / midbass, and softer treble, while the deep bass is not particular strength of tube amplifiers (generalization, stay off my butt, head-fi police).
On the other hand, SS amplifiers will tend to have more perceiver treble extension and bass extension, and more neutral sound across the spectrum. Tend is the keyword here...

Depending on what headphones you are using, it might be a good idea for you to look into either Figaro (I'll trust Godkin that it is a good amp, he is very accurate with regards to descriptions of what various tubes did in 332), or something from the SS offerings...Gilmore Lite is a popular one.

Think about what you are looking to get honestly, listen to your headphones and think about what you are looking to improve, it will save you alot of money and mistakes.

Godkin: Can you throw some comparisons with regard to tonality of 332 and Figaro? If Figaro is not as monstrously bassy, I might look into picking up a pair and using them as monoblocks in balanced operation xD (balanced HD600 config with dual Figaros, anyone?)

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #38 of 166
I decided to go with the DV 336i. I want to get into tube rolling and I don't want to feel like I need to buy a different amp to do so. I know there are other tube amps available in this price range but from what I read this seems like a solid choice.

Jasmine says it will be in the mail Monday.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #39 of 166
I am also considering buying DV 336i or 336... but I thinkmay be it`s worth to try first Figaro? (with my HD 600, I`m mainly listen fo jazz and classics)

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #40 of 166
Malos, I only had a brief listen to the FIGARO (about three hours or so) and, tonally, it seems very balanced: perhaps the treble and mids are more prominent, but they are by no means bright or harsh; bass is lighter than the 332, tight and by no means flabby, good for an amp of this class. From experience, it will doubtless improve as it burns in.

Again, this amp appears geared for higher impedance headphones, so SENNHEISER and BEYER owners rejoice. They drove my HD650s with ease. It is really a perfect entry level amp, for those who want to experiment with tubes without getting too deeply involved.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #41 of 166
Interesting. I personally would love to pick one up, but with the shipping from China and having no need for a headphone amp is just not making it worth it :-/

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #42 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-fi, and sorry about your wallet.

Go ahead and pull the trigger on one now...

lol. where's that devil smile when you need one?

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #45 of 166
Wow... How did I miss this? I've been looking for something like this for a while.

Wonder how it compares to the Little Dot II++ or Little Dot MK 3? Someone should run a comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back