DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jun 17, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #466 of 2,125

Dave,

I went all in with an XD128(now 256k thanks to the free stretch perks) as well.  IEM upgrade, THD package, "D.A.D". upgrade.  The components and specs on this thing are SIC!  I do have high hopes for Larrys electrical engineering "magic".  Hopefully we will like what we hear?

I'm becoming very confident that we are going to love what we hear... The specs are SIC:)  I have high hopes for Larrys engineering as well, especially considering he wants it to outperform the AK240, which is what I am hoping for... I guess we will see once these are released
smily_headphones1.gif

While I've already gone with the XD128 with IEM and DAD package, I'm pretty close to adding the THD package as well.  I really do not plan on using it with full size headphones though, just IEMs.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #467 of 2,125
  I'm becoming very confident that we are going to love what we hear... The specs are SIC:)  I have high hopes for Larrys engineering as well, especially considering he wants it to outperform the AK240, which is what I am hoping for... I guess we will see once these are released
smily_headphones1.gif

While I've already gone with the XD128 with IEM and DAD package, I'm pretty close to adding the THD package as well.  I really do not plan on using it with full size headphones though, just IEMs.

whats the DAD package?  Also do you know if they'll offer the THD and IEM package at retail or is it just a indiegogo exclusive?

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #468 of 2,125
  Thanks Amos.  What are the differences of DAC mode and sourcing from SD card?  My guess is that when connect to usb to a computer, the DAP's electronics are getting more current, so that can benefit the sound as a whole as I've experienced this with ODAC.  When connected to my desktop, it sounds fantastic, then when I connect to my smartphone, not so because my smartphone probably limits the current to the ODAC.

I don't understand why you would go with the GO450. Do you need an external power source for the 1000?  What are the differences between the two models?

The DAP will always use battery power AFAIK. The problem with USB is you get noise, jitter and any other related problems being added. For example, I was talking to a manufacturer who told me when he modded his DAC to use SD cards, the sound quality improved considerably. I can improve things considerably with various things I have here, eg: low-noise USB power supplies, but better still if I can find my spare SD cards I'll load one up with FLAC files and have another listen.

Only a guess, but in the GO1000, the 1000 stands for 1000mA?  or 1A?  I don't know any computers that can output that much through the usb.  I thought usb 2.0 was 500mA, and usb 3.0 more but still less than 1000mA.  

It can definitely go higher if the computer's ports support it. I'm mostly worried about draining the battery too quickly.

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #471 of 2,125
Ok, so I have several DAPs/DACs with different DAC chips.  I've listened in, compared, and etc.. And after all this, I'm starting to get a flavor of the difference between the chips and leaning toward believing there are difference with the characteristics of the differenct DACs.

My opinions are based on mostly DAPs so take it for a grain of salt.  The best DAC chip to my ears is non-mobile ES9018.  I hear more micro details, and the details have variations.  Not sure if the HDP R10's amp is adding the warmth, but the warmth really makes it sound real and the resolution is not just caused by sharp treble like the DX90.  DX90 includes a mobile version of the 9018 chip different from R10.  The LO has more resolution, which leads me to think that the 90's amp section colors it.  The 90 has overall cold presentation because of it's bold treble, and lack of mid body definition, whereas R10 has warm, and you can hear more subtle details and the treble has a palette with fine details to thicker.  The warmth of the R10 makes the vocals sound extremely real and just really pleasant to listen to.  No way does this warmth hide subtalities like the Wolfson's LO in my 5.5G DIYmod.  Based on the LO of Wolfson, I would have to say it's warmer than ES chips, and the non-mobile version is the warmer than the mobile version with better ability to output finger resolution.  I say, the non-mobile 9018 is in between Wolfson and the mobile 9018, and to be it's a perfect balance.

I also have the Cirrus logic ipod 6G.  To me the treble is thick, and doesn't put out subtle details, like the DX90. The cirrus gets closer to the mobile ES sound.  The sound has lots of energy though as it's punchy with my pure ii, as other LO does not get so punchy in it's presentation.

I've tapped into the LOs.  All this makes me think these chips have characteristics of their own.  If you have revealing monitors you can pick up on these differences.  I think my NT-6 does a great job at it.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #472 of 2,125
  Ok, so I have several DAPs/DACs with different DAC chips.  I've listened in, compared, and etc.. And after all this, I'm starting to get a flavor of the difference between the chips and leaning toward believing there are difference with the characteristics of the differenct DACs.

My opinions are based on mostly DAPs so take it for a grain of salt.  The best DAC chip to my ears is non-mobile ES9018.  I hear more micro details, and the details have variations.  Not sure if the HDP R10's amp is adding the warmth, but the warmth really makes it sound real and the resolution is not just caused by sharp treble like the DX90.  DX90 includes a mobile version of the 9018 chip different from R10.  The LO has more resolution, which leads me to think that the 90's amp section colors it.  The 90 has overall cold presentation because of it's bold treble, and lack of mid body definition, whereas R10 has warm, and you can hear more subtle details and the treble has a palette with fine details to thicker.  The warmth of the R10 makes the vocals sound extremely real and just really pleasant to listen to.  No way does this warmth hide subtalities like the Wolfson's LO in my 5.5G DIYmod.  Based on the LO of Wolfson, I would have to say it's warmer than ES chips, and the non-mobile version is the warmer than the mobile version with better ability to output finger resolution.  I say, the non-mobile 9018 is in between Wolfson and the mobile 9018, and to be it's a perfect balance.

I also have the Cirrus logic ipod 6G.  To me the treble is thick, and doesn't put out subtle details, like the DX90. The cirrus gets closer to the mobile ES sound.  The sound has lots of energy though as it's punchy with my pure ii, as other LO does not get so punchy in it's presentation.

I've tapped into the LOs.  All this makes me think these chips have characteristics of their own.  If you have revealing monitors you can pick up on these differences.  I think my NT-6 does a great job at it.

Nice read. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #477 of 2,125
I decided I couldn't wait for the firmware update for the Calyx M which was supposed to be due this month and put some FLAC and DSD on a card.

Good ol' C.C. Colletti on the Calyx M sounds good, but slightly harsh, but the kind of harsh you get from new electronics sometimes. Maybe with use it might change. It might not too. The AK240 was more clear, but not dramatically so. As I've said before this is a top recording and with lesser quality music this difference might not be noticeable.

I might try running the Calyx overnight for a few nights in DAC mode to see if things change.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #478 of 2,125
  I decided I couldn't wait for the firmware update for the Calyx M which was supposed to be due this month and put some FLAC and DSD on a card.

Good ol' C.C. Colletti on the Calyx M sounds good, but slightly harsh, but the kind of harsh you get from new electronics sometimes. Maybe with use it might change. It might not too. The AK240 was more clear, but not dramatically so. As I've said before this is a top recording and with lesser quality music this difference might not be noticeable.

I might try running the Calyx overnight for a few nights in DAC mode to see if things change.

How's the CalyxM against AK240?

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #479 of 2,125

How's the CalyxM against AK240?

Bigger and browner. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #480 of 2,125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back